Myanmar Rohingya Muslims under 'vicious attack': HRW

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Myanmar Rohingya Muslims under 'vicious attack': HRW
By AFP Published: October 27, 2012
BANGKOK: Human Rights Watch urged Myanmar Saturday to protect Rohingya Muslims, warning unrest that has left dozens dead and thousands displaced is “likely to get worse” unless the root causes are addressed.
Fresh communal fighting between Buddhists and Muslims in Rakhine state this week, which has sent thousands fleeing to already overcrowded camps, has disproportionately targeted stateless Rohingya communities, it said in a statement.
The group called on Myanmar to urgently provide security for the Rohingya, which it said were under “vicious attack”, and to ensure protection and aid were given to the affected Muslim and Buddhist communities in the region.
“Unless the authorities also start addressing the root causes of the violence, it is only likely to get worse,” said Phil Robertson, HRW deputy Asia director.
More than 150 people, from both communities, have been killed in the state since violence first sparked in June, according to the government which has imposed emergency rule in the face of continued tension in the region.
HRW said it had obtained satellite images showing “extensive destruction of homes and other property in a predominantly Rohingya area” of Kyaukpyu — where a major pipeline to transport gas to China begins.
The official death toll from the new fighting, which began on October 21, was given as 67 in state media on Saturday. The figure was revised from a number of more than 100 given by a Rahkine state spokesman on Friday, who later said there had been a “mistake in calculating”.
HRW “fears the death toll is far higher based on allegations from witnesses fleeing scenes of carnage and the government’s well-documented history of underestimating figures that might lead to criticism of the state,” the group said.
Myanmar’s 800,000 Rohingya are seen as illegal immigrants from neighbouring Bangladesh by the government and many Burmese.
The Rohingya, speaking a Bengali dialect similar to one in neighbouring Bangladesh, have long been considered by the United Nations as one of the most persecuted minorities on the planet.
The latest violence demonstrates “how urgent it is that the authorities intervene to protect everyone, and break the cycle of discrimination and violence”, said Isabelle Arradon, Amnesty International’s Asia-Pacific deputy director.

what a shame for Myanmar Government that she just cannot provide protection to its citizens and let budhist terrorists kill others.. atleast give a statement against this act.. you moron!!!!!

what a shame for Myanmar Government that she just cannot provide protection to its citizens and let budhist terrorists kill others.. atleast give a statement against this act.. you moron!!!!!

Why doesn't Pakistan provide the Rohingyas asylum? I am sure it will earn excellent points among the OIC members.

In fact, considering Pakistan's clout in the group, it can arrange for financing and welfare of these refugees via Saudi, Kuwait and other rich islamic countries while they can have the freedom to stay in Pakistan.

That way, your national image will get clearer and at the same time, Pakistan doesn't have to waste its own limited resources on these refugees.

Oh and on the bold part Haider, if you Muslims can end up gaining our enmity (of all the communities around the world), then there is no community on this vast earth with which you can get along. Neither your fellow Abrahamic religions of Christianity and Judaism nor any other of any kind.

Myanmar does not consider the Rohingyas to be its citizens.

Myanmar does not consider the Rohingyas to be its citizens.

Its another thing that many of them were there before Burma had a law? as they are third or fourth generation in Burma?
Whats Burma's definition of Illegal? May be its only based on Race and religion..
Any non Buddhist is illegal...

Its another thing that many of them were there before Burma had a law? as they are third or fourth generation in Burma?
Whats Burma's definition of Illegal? May be its only based on Race and religion..
Any non Buddhist is illegal...

You can say its probably based on race. Every nation has a right to decide on which basis it would extend citizenship.

Is OBL the true face of Islam ?

Being a Muslim, I thought you would be better than this, generalizing a religion.

Reason for my comment is that before this Rohingya issue the only face of Buddhism i knew of was this..

Indonesia+Commemorates+Buddha+Birthday+7s1429ZNlgul.jpg

Didnt know that Monks have a dark side too and thats very dark..

You can say its probably based on race. Every nation has a right to decide on which basis it would extend citizenship.
and then you guys come insulting Pakistan when Minorities are treated differently than Muslims ...
Next time i will Quote this comment and many more from Indians...
Although i dont support violence or oppression of minority by majority even in Pakistan...but your dual standard is spectacular

Regardless of whether the Rohingyas are considered citizens or not, there is absolutely no justification for the violence that is being inflicted on them. Myanmar has no excuses here.

Regardless of whether the Rohingyas are considered citizens or not, there is absolutely no justification for the violence that is being inflicted on them. Myanmar has no excuses here.

+1 - Rohingyas were living there for a long time but facing the persecution in the past 2 centuries. Again repeating like a parrot - Myanmar junta do not spare any minorities. Burmese Indians, Burmese Chinese - none.

Reason for my comment is that before this Rohingya issue the only face of Buddhism i knew of was this..

Didnt know that Monks have a dark side too and thats very dark..

So again you are generalizing a religion blatantly but will twist yourself when some one calls Islam something based on terrorist attacks that have occured in many more countries, many more times. Would you agree if I post a picture of a maulana and then said he has a dark side too ?

See this is the problem with you Muslims - you guys would want the rest not to generalize your faith, want us to keep believing its the religion of peace, want us to believe that the "silent majority" are dead opposed to terrorism, that "mullah" is not a bad word BUT when the shoe is on the other foot start generalizing about others.

Quoting Isa "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

I know. Its their internal matter though its morally wrong.

and then you guys come insulting Pakistan when Minorities are treated differently than Muslims ...
Next time i will Quote this comment and many more from Indians...
Although i dont support violence or oppression of minority by majority even in Pakistan...but your dual standard is spectacular

The difference is while Myanmar has been consistent in speaking out that Rohingyas are not its citizens and they are illegal immigrants, Pakistan does not do so and claims all is well and its minorities are also equal citizens. If your country openly says, no we dont consider the Hindus as our citizens, they are illegal immigrants and second class citizens explicitly no one would have a problem. Actually if it were upto me, I would negotiate with Pakistan to send all the Hindus,Sikhs to India once and for all.

Regarding my dual standard, yeah rightttt. A person from a religion that spends most of its time asking others not to generalize it based on the actions of "few" generalizing other religion.

Back
Top Bottom