What's new

Musharraf summoned in judges case

ejaz007

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Updated at: 1335 PST, Wednesday, July 22, 2009

ISLAMABAD: The 14-member larger bench of the Supreme Court of Pakistan on Wednesday summoned former President Pervez Musharraf to defend charges leveled against him for imposing emergency on November 3, 2007.

The larger bench issued a notice to Pervez Musharraf to appear in person or through counsel on July 29.

The PCO judges case hearing was adjourned till July 29.

A 14-member larger bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammed Chaudhry heard the case relating the promulgation of emergency on November 3 and the appointment of judges of higher judiciary.

Giving his remarks, the CJ said justice will not meet its demands, if the court gives verdict without giving explanation chance to Musharraf; thereupon, Sindh High Court Bar counsel Hamid Khan retorted former Gen Yahya Khan appeared before court in Aasma Gilani case.

The CJ said the case is highly important.

CJ Chaudhry queried Hamid Khan Advocate regarding the repercussions of the verdict of this case, adding, ‘We will have to muse seriously why July 5, 77 happened, what effects judicial rulings had on national life.’

‘The case may have effects on our judges ranks, we will have to spot repercussions of the case ruling outside the courtroom.’

Justice Khalilur Rehman Ramday said in his remarks that the judges who took oath on PCO on November 3, 2007, ran foul of the order of 7 SC judges.

So, the music has started.

I wish all the unconstitutional acts by any person during, at least, the last thirty years should be reviewed and revised by SC and summon any person involve in such acts.

An evolution towards a just, civil society is in sight.

So, the music has started.

I wish all the unconstitutional acts by any person during, at least, the last thirty years should be reviewed and revised by SC and summon any person involve in such acts.

An evolution towards a just, civil society is in sight.

You are soo innocent :)

Lets see what happens. But, why should we stop dreaming a better future?

Justice, judicial as well as social, may pave the way to make our dreams come true.

Perhaps its the start of that, a wishful thinking it may seem at present, but again, lets see.

Lets see what happens. But, why should we stop dreaming a better future?

Justice, judicial as well as social, may pave the way to make our dreams come true.

Perhaps its the start of that, a wishful thinking it may seem at present, but again, lets see.

Does this Justice care about NRO? This justice don't look and the corruption done by NS in 90s, this justice don't care what currently zardari is doing around.. how can i expect justice from this judicial system, which allow corruption inside this system itself (still many zardari appointed jiyala judges are present in this system).

So far musharaf concern,i think nothing going to happen. SC only call him because of their personal issues, or NS's issues.. otherwise where is shaukat aziz in the scene? any case do you have seen? what about ch. brathoran, what about MMA's corruption, what about MQM's badmashi?

ohh come On.. you are expecting Justice from this system.. i must say you are soooo innocent!!

The main problem for pakistan isn't musharaf, who isn't going to pay single penny, and will easily go away.. but zardari, whose stolen money can help pakistan in developing.

With due respect and accepting your sentiments about the politicians, I've therefore wished it to be a START of justice. You know judiciary has always been used and manipulated, rather exploited, by the all in power since late fiftees (Maulivi Tameezuddin Case). It was also a decision by the then SC, a black one though, that caused so much trouble for our country. All the coming wrong decisions by SC in favor of dictators were made on the legal grounds of this very case.

Now if the present court observes that "Martial laws are due to the weakness of judiciary", let them be strong by issuing a summon to an ex president. BTW I haven't said that Musarraf may get any punishment in this case. Coming to the point, if a precedent is set by this court, it may become an example to summon any big fish (I say any big fish) to the court, in future, and eventually we may see justice being done in our society.

As far as your point of view about the present judiciary and its caliber is concerned, I should say that we must not lebalize a whole personality as good or bad but we must judge it on merit, with regard to each and every act done by it. I mean, if a corrupt person is doing any good, we should admit it to be good and the other way round.

I would be happy to see all the politicians, indicated by you, in courts for any of their wrong doings.

that is gud. and as far as NRO is concerned that case is pending in SC. once verdict is given in this case it will become a lot easier to take on NRO. assumin that emergency will be declared wrong, NRO (ordinance) will automatically come in question as if was given after emergency was imposed and comes under the headin of discrimination not popular will.
remember we had ppl sayin that this judiciary will not do anything about emergency. but they turned out to be wrong.
though i am sure NRO matter will be taken up by SC, if not then it will be really disappointin

No one to defend Musharraf in SC

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

By Ansar Abbasi

MURREE: It would have to be a diehard loyalist legal eagle of Gen (retd) Pervez Musharraf to swoop in to his legal defence before the Supreme Court’s 14-member bench, as the government clearly has no plans, or intention, to protect the man who had ruled the country for over eight years with absolute authority and impunity.

An official source closely associated with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani told The News on Tuesday the attorney-general had been asked not to defend Musharraf before the 14-member bench of the apex court, which is currently hearing an all important case that would focus on major distortions made in the system by Musharraf on and subsequent to Nov 3, 2007.

Musharraf is currently in London and as things are proceeding in Islamabad, the former dictator is left with two options: either to settle for an exiled life in the UK or to show courage of facing independent courts in Pakistan. Musharraf has recently purchased a flat in an expensive locality in London — Edgeware road.

The Prime Minister Secretariat source said although the government may like to retain some of the bits of Musharraf’s unconstitutional actions of Nov 3, 2007, it does not want to defend Musharraf himself before the 14-member Supreme Court bench.

The source though insisted the president and the prime minister are in unison to secure appointments of all the judges, those who took oath under the PCO on Nov 3, 2007 or those who were appointed on the recommendations of de facto chief justice Abdul Hameed Dogar.

Interestingly, the PPP is divided on the issue as the likes of Raza Rabbani and Safdar Abbasi seek complete cleansing of the system from the distortions created by Musharraf.

While the government would defend the PCO judges and also those appointed on Dogar’s recommendation, a law ministry source said the Nov 3 decision of the seven-member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry and the principles as laid down by the Supreme Court in the Al-Jihad case would serve as the cornerstone to decide the future complexion of the superior judiciary.

The seven-member bench of the de jure Supreme Court had barred Musharraf on Nov 3, 2007, from taking any action contrary to the independence of the judiciary.

The Supreme Court had also noted no judge of the Supreme Court or high courts, including chief justices, should take oath under the PCO or take any other extra-constitutional step. It had clearly stated any further appointment of the chief justice and judges of the apex court and chief justices of high courts or judges of provinces under the new development “shall be” unlawful and without jurisdiction.

Musharraf, however, turned a blind eye to this order of the Supreme Court and so did the then-chief justice Dogar, who was immediately appointed as the chief justice of Pakistan in clear violation of the Constitution as well as the decision of the Supreme Court. More than 60 judges of the superior judiciary, however, refused to show their allegiance to the dictator whereas others like Dogar, who were in minority, took oath under the PCO.

Within a few days of his appointment, the de facto chief justice constituted an 11-member bench and validated the abrogation of the Constitution by Musharraf, overturned the order of the de jure Supreme Court and had ruled that all those judges of the superior judiciary who had not taken oath under Musharraf’s PCO had ceased to be judges. However, the nation neither accepted Musharraf’s unconstitutional action nor did it accept Dogar and joined the countrywide judicial movement that finally ended up in the restoration of all the deposed judges in March this year.

I have an interesting feeling that NRO is going to cause a down fall for Zardari till the end of this year. Again, SC will be behind it.

Musharraf is going to regret his strong arm tactics while in power, all that bravado and chest beating will mount to nothing now. If CJ Choudhry has landed the first punch, just wait till Sharif returns to power and delivers the knock out blow to Musharraf. Musharraf is going to be a hunted man now, he can kiss a peaceful retirement goodbye.

i thought if NRO goes nothing will happen to zardari coz of him being a president. being a president gives him some sort of cover. im not sure though

Where are Sharifuddin Pirzada, Justice Qayyum and Mahmood Raza Qsoori? A lesson for dictators.

And, no one to defend Musharraf in politics too.

Where are Chaudhry brothers, Shaikh Rasheed, Durrani and Sher Afgan? Another lesson for dictators.

so the question is that will he turn up to defend himself or will still not give a **** about judiciary

ajpirzada
i thought if NRO goes nothing will happen to zardari coz of him being a president. being a president gives him some sort of cover. im not sure though

If NRO is dismissed by SC, Zardari will be under political pressure. And it is being built at the moment.

ajpirzada
so the question is that will he turn up to defend himself or will still not give a **** about judiciary

Commando kissi say darta warta naheeN hai.

Back
Top Bottom