What's new

Mt Everest conqueror forced to sell vegetables to repay loan

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
Mt Everest conqueror forced to sell vegetables to repay loan - The Times of India

CHANDIGARH: With no job or financial security, a young man from Tohana town of Fatehabad district, who has scaled Mount Everest, is forced to sell fruits and vegetables as a roadside vendor to fend for his family and take care of his bedridden father. Jobless Ram Lal, 24, is yet to receive the cash award of Rs 5 lakh promised to him by the Haryana government, which could have eased his financial woes to some extent.

A graduate in sports science and a diploma holder in physical education, Ram was assured of a cash award of Rs 5 lakh by chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on his successful return after hoisting the Tricolour at the world's highest peak in Nepal in May this year. However, while Ram is yet to receive any help from the state government, another Mt Everest climber Mamta Sodha was appointed as the deputy superintendent of police and awarded Rs 21 lakh for her achievement.

Eldest of three siblings and trained in mountaineering by Vinay Verma, a Tohana resident, Ram could be seen selling fruits and vegetables on his cart as his father Sat Pal Sharma is indisposed due to spinal injuries. Verma had also offered financial help to Ram besides some local NGOs and residents.

"I received financial support from local NGOs and a few individuals like Devinder Babli. Apart from that, I had availed of a loan to manage my household expenses and for my father's treatment. I am not selling vegetables on this cart to embarrass anyone, but to feed my family and repay the loan," Ram said.

Feeling disappointed at being ignored by the state government and political leaders, the young mountaineer revealed that financial pressure also led him to knock at the doors of local MLA and Haryana minister Paramvir Singh and Sirsa MP Ashok Tanwar for help, but the effort went to vain. "I am not asking for anything extra. I just want to be treated like other mountaineers who had successfully climbed Mt Everest earlier," he said.

According to Verma, they would not have approached the state government to help Ram had it not feted Mamta. "Not just Mamta, the state government has also honoured another couple from Haryana that had climbed the peak. Since the government has a policy, Ram too should get his due," Vinay argued.

On contact, Haryana director general of sports and youth affairs, Sudhir Rajpal, said that the verification process for the disbursal of cash award to Ram Lal was underway. "So far as recommendation for employment is concerned, this policy is for medal winners of competitive sports. We will ask Fatehabad's district sports officer to speak to Ram," Rajpal added.

Back
Top Bottom