Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Mohammad Hafeez steps down as T20 captain
By News Desk
Published: April 3, 2014

LAHORE: Pakistan’s Twenty20 captain Mohammad Hafeez has stepped down from his post after the team was sent packing from the tournament in the opening round of the event after a humiliating 82-run defeat against the West Indies on Tuesday.

After meeting the PCB Chairman Najam Sethi, Hafeez announced his decision at the Qaddafi stadium in Lahore.

“I accept the responsibility for the performance and have decided to step down. I want to thank the players, my family and the cricket board for their support throughout my tenure,” he said.

Hafeez is the only captain to have led Pakistan in two editions of the ICC WorldT20 tournament, after going down to the West Indies the 2009 champions failed to make it to the last four of the tournament for the first time in their history.

The all-rounder added that he was willing to play as a player under any captain. “I would offer my support to any captain. Previously too I have played under many captains and would offer my complete support to my replacement.”

Hafeez quits as Pakistan T20 captain
ESPNcricinfo staff

April 3, 2014

Mohammad Hafeez has stepped down as Pakistan's T20 captain, just days after the team's exit from the group stage of the 2014 World T20 in Bangladesh. Hafeez has also relinquished the vice-captaincy of the Test and ODI sides as well. He was given the T20 captaincy in May 2012 after Misbah-ul-Haq decided to step down from the same position. Misbah continues to lead the Test and ODI sides.

More to follow

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Hafeez resigns from T20 captaincy
DAWN.COM
Updated 2014-04-03 17:28:23
LAHORE: Pakistan T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez, accepting responsibility for the dismal performance of the team in the World T20, resigned from the post on Thursday and also stepped down from the position of vice-captain in the ODI and Test teams.

Addressing a press conference in Lahore the all-rounder said that his decision was not taken under any pressure.

“I am under no pressure (but) felt that I must step down as leader by taking responsibility and its for the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) to decide who to lead the team,” Hafeez told reporters.

Head coach of Pakistan cricket team Moin Khan, admitted that the team had not performed up to mark and appreciated Hafeez's gesture.

Khan asked the fans to show patience, adding that the whole team could not be axed over a single defeat.

The announcement comes a day after members of the Pakistan cricket team arrived in the country from Bangladesh following their exit from the ongoing World Twenty20 tournament.

Reigning champion West Indies eliminated Pakistan with an 84-run victory in the last group match on Tuesday as the 2007 champions were bowled out for just 82 while chasing 167.

I hated Hafeez from start as a captain, he's not a captain material. But by this move, he has earned respect in my eyes. That's a sign of a good person to take responsibility and step down.

Hope for a better future of Pak team and cricket, and please don't throw things back to Afridi, for God sake induct some new fresh blood and groom it.

others need to be axed

shoaib malik
umar gul
sohail tanvir
shahid afridi
these guys have had their glory. give others a chance.

give the new blood a chance to bloom. there shd be a new team with young players. i dont mind if they lose initially but as they get experienced, they will come good.

T20
ahmad shehzad
sarjeel khan
umar akmal
shoaib maqsood
umar amin
kamran akmal- wk
anwar ali
junaid khan
bilawal bhatti
saeed ajmal - capt.
zulfiqar babar

there may be other good players also

shoaib malik should be made the captain in all formats!!

That was the right thing to do Hafeez. But who now are the candidates for the next captain then?

others need to be axed

shoaib malik
umar gul
sohail tanvir
shahid afridi
these guys have had their glory. give others a chance.

give the new blood a chance to bloom. there shd be a new team with young players. i dont mind if they lose initially but as they get experienced, they will come good.

T20
ahmad shehzad
sarjeel khan
umar akmal
shoaib maqsood
umar amin
kamran akmal- wk
anwar ali
junaid khan
bilawal bhatti
saeed ajmal - capt.
zulfiqar babar

there may be other good players also

Sir, place of Shahid Afridi in T20 is must i guess. He is a still very effective bowler in T20, plus his occasional sixes are a bonus. Plus Sohail Tanvir can also be useful. But i don't wanna see Kamran Akmal in our team again. He should have been kicked outa team once he dropped easy catches of Mike Hussy in Sydney Test behind the stumps.. He should been kicked outa team when he dropped the catch of Ross Taylor in World Cup 2011, which cost us the match. He should been dropped after T20 world cup of 2012 in which he showed his poor form and performance... not to mention his poor performance in recent T20 World Cup matches. PCB was waiting for that day against West Indies by selecting them again and again and again, while Sharjeel Khan and Junaid Khan went to Bangladesh as a spectators..laying eggs i guess. !! We have to find out replacement of Saeed Ajmal as opponents have started to read his variations very well now.... We have to introduce a proper leg spinner, as we can observe how devastating a leg spinner could be in this shortest format of the game.

when would Muhammad Ameer return? Where is Nasir Zamshed?

r the Akmal brothers and Hafiz from Karachi?

Back
Top Bottom