What's new

Modi's win may propel rupee below 60/dollar

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
The forthcoming elections are a make-or-break event for India, global investment bank Noumra says.

A stable government could reinvigorate animal spirits, ease business uncertainty and address the supply bottlenecks, which could swing investor sentiment significantly in favour of India. A hotchpotch coalition government, however, would diminish prospects of reviving potential growth and risk significant capital outflows, it says.

Nomura's analysts say there's 50 per cent probability that the BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi would be able to pursue reforms, cut red tape and boost investment in infrastructure.

The expectation of a Modi-led government has attracted overseas investors into Indian stock markets. The Sensex and Nifty have rallied to record highs this week, while the rupee has jumped to near 7-month high despite global headwinds such as the geopolitical standoff in Ukraine, fears of slowdown in China and tapering of monetary stimulus by the US.

Private sector investment in India has fallen consistently since 2007, first because of the global economic crisis (2008-09) and the subsequent expansionary fiscal policies of the government. The sharp slowdown means India has witnessed sub-5 per cent GDP growth over the previous five quarters.

Nomura says a Modi-led government could result in the following big changes in the medium term,

1) Business confidence will be boosted and there will be a revival in the capex cycle by 'de-bottlenecking' existing investment projects, which are stuck because of a lack of policy clearances. Fresh investment could be announced over time.

2) Fiscal consolidation backed by fiscal reforms such as the Goods and Service tax and rationalization of misdirected subsidies will help crowd-in private investments. It would remove the threat of rating downgrade that has been hanging over India for the past two years.

3) Lower inflation over time would increase real disposable income and boost financial savings, increasing the economy's ability to finance its investment needs.

Nomura expects the rupee to rise below 60 per dollar by June 2014 if a strong government comes to power post elections. It maintained its end-December Sensex target of 24,700. In the long term, Nomura expects the Indian economy to grow above 6 per cent in 2016, from an average of 4.7 per cent in 2013-14.

As many as 11 countries, all part of the emerging market block, will go to polls this year, but India is the only country that Nomura is overweight on as far as equities, currency and bonds are concerned.

Elections could be make-or-break event for India: Nomura - NDTVProfit.com

An increasing number of Indian investors are returning to the nation's $1.2trillon equity market on hopes that the April-May general elections would deliver a government that can revive economic growth from a decade low...
But then even a hawkish BJP govt at center wont be able to do miracles....it will take time.Thats if at all BJP wins the election.

The forthcoming elections are a make-or-break event for India, global investment bank Noumra says.

A stable government could reinvigorate animal spirits, ease business uncertainty and address the supply bottlenecks, which could swing investor sentiment significantly in favour of India. A hotchpotch coalition government, however, would diminish prospects of reviving potential growth and risk significant capital outflows, it says.

Nomura's analysts say there's 50 per cent probability that the BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi would be able to pursue reforms, cut red tape and boost investment in infrastructure.

The expectation of a Modi-led government has attracted overseas investors into Indian stock markets. The Sensex and Nifty have rallied to record highs this week, while the rupee has jumped to near 7-month high despite global headwinds such as the geopolitical standoff in Ukraine, fears of slowdown in China and tapering of monetary stimulus by the US.

Private sector investment in India has fallen consistently since 2007, first because of the global economic crisis (2008-09) and the subsequent expansionary fiscal policies of the government. The sharp slowdown means India has witnessed sub-5 per cent GDP growth over the previous five quarters.

Nomura says a Modi-led government could result in the following big changes in the medium term,

1) Business confidence will be boosted and there will be a revival in the capex cycle by 'de-bottlenecking' existing investment projects, which are stuck because of a lack of policy clearances. Fresh investment could be announced over time.

2) Fiscal consolidation backed by fiscal reforms such as the Goods and Service tax and rationalization of misdirected subsidies will help crowd-in private investments. It would remove the threat of rating downgrade that has been hanging over India for the past two years.

3) Lower inflation over time would increase real disposable income and boost financial savings, increasing the economy's ability to finance its investment needs.

Nomura expects the rupee to rise below 60 per dollar by June 2014 if a strong government comes to power post elections. It maintained its end-December Sensex target of 24,700. In the long term, Nomura expects the Indian economy to grow above 6 per cent in 2016, from an average of 4.7 per cent in 2013-14.

As many as 11 countries, all part of the emerging market block, will go to polls this year, but India is the only country that Nomura is overweight on as far as equities, currency and bonds are concerned.

Elections could be make-or-break event for India: Nomura - NDTVProfit.com

we should hope for building enabling and strengthening enduring 'institutions' rather than gambling with ' persons'
People come and go but institutions stay .

Economy is a co-operative work. It will be deceptive to hope for one person to do miracles ...even if he manages to do it ...it may not be sustained .

we need to have succession of legacies if our nation is to develop and prosper .

Piecemeal efforts won't take us anywhere !!!

"Confidence" counts for a lot when it comes to currency speculation.

And Modi seems by far the best candidate when it comes to issues of economy, even international corporations like Nomura can see it.
Modi is a pro-hindutatva fanatic, a good salesman and nothing else

he has lied about his development

plz dont trust the pro modi members here , , they get paid

Yah ...... cry us a river .

Whether he is a "pro-Hindutava fanatic" or not, I don't see how that is my business. And it does not particularly interest me either way.

The point is that businesses and corporations (both Indian and Global ones) have greater trust in Modi, because he has a proven track record in economic development, and his policies in Gujarat are pro-business and pro-industry.

And Nomura believes this confidence will show in terms of a rising Rupee. Which is a logical deduction to make, considering how important "confidence" is when it comes to currency values.

An economical disscussion is going on not any gully muhalla chhap or paan ki thari kind of rajneeti bahas ...
keep your congress promoting hidden agenda to political thread...

I don't want to sound rude, but I seen elections come and go in America, Canada and they never have that kind of effect.

From what I'm hearing, Modi come to power will do anything from reviving economy to curing cancer without even lifting one finger.

Are the expectations really justified? I mean I seen hyped politicians before, Obama, Ma of Taiwan, Abenomics, will Modi prove to be the exception? Let's find out

I don't want to sound rude, but I seen elections come and go in America, Canada and they never have that kind of effect.

From what I'm hearing, Modi come to power will do anything from reviving economy to curing cancer without even lifting one finger.

Are the expectations really justified? I mean I seen hyped politicians before, Obama, Ma of Taiwan, Abenomics, will Modi prove to be the exception? Let's find out
lets wait and watch.

Our congress government worked assiduously to bring down our economy in every possible ways....even the RBI's(Reserve bank of India ..pretty much like central bank) warnings were also ignored.
Modi is known to support liberal tradings..and thats exactly why every one thinks he can perform miracles.

a nation dejected n frustrated by years of congress misrule, is pinning down its 'hopes' on modi.
modi is being seen as a messiah of some sort.
i can only hope modi can deliver (on subject to his winning the elections). otherwise it wud be truly disappointing to see our last resort fail.

Agree with you buddy. A lot of speculation about Modi but he has delivered in Gujarat & the result is there to be seen. And that is the reason Indian as well as corporations abroad see a logic that Modi coming to power will revive Indian Economy. He is the best candidate as of now & if he fails then God only knows what will happen to Indian Economy :(

Well, it is like Obama got a Nobel prize just for not being Bush! ;)

Modi will certainly be far better than Manmohan Singh because not everyone can be that incompetent.

Anything else will be a bonus.

He has a proven successful track record of three terms in his state to boot.

Says the worker of Dentsu

So what if he is pro-hindutva? There are lot ministers who are deliberately being pro-muslim so why not question them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom