What's new

Meaning of the Word "Hindu"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRICS

Reaction score
hindusindhu.png

Sanatan means traditional, has nothing to do with eternal.

Hindu comes from Hind, the Persian and Arabic name for the Indus river, which is called Darya-e Sindh in Urdu and Sindhu in Sanskrit. Doesn't have anything to do with the the pronunciation of 's' or whatever.

Originally, after the Muslim invaders (Turkik mainly who where 'Persianised') came to call the people of this region 'Hindu'. Originally, it didn't have any relation to religion, but later came to be associated with the practises, cults, and whatever else of the people of this region.

Funny enough though, the original practitioners of the Hindu religion, those that lived close to the Indus river, converted to Islam, and their descendants today are the Pakistani people.

The following statements cud be interesting:
Apparently, the word "Hindu" is not present in Vedas, Puranas, Ramayana and Mahabharta. It appears that this name was given to the indigenous people of India by the Muslim invaders. They referred to the people living near the Sindhu River, as Hindus and they consider them as slaves, subservient and blind. The name given to the religion which preceded the modern term "Hindu" was "Sanatan" religion and before that it was known as "Ad-Dharm". Hindu is not a Sanskrit term.

Furthermore, a Persian dictionary titled Lughet-e-Kishwari, published in Lucknow in 1964, gives the meaning of the word Hindu as “chor [thief], dakoo [dacoit], raahzan [waylayer], and ghulam [slave].”

In another dictionary, Urdu-Feroze-ul-Laghat (Part One, p. 615) the Persian meaning of the word Hindu is further described as barda (obedient servant), sia faam (black color) and kaalaa (black).

Hindu - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

Sanatan means traditional, has nothing to do with eternal.

Sanatana Dharma is by its very essence a term that is devoid of sectarian leanings or ideological divisions. This is evident by the very term itself. The two words, "Sanatana Dharma", come from the ancient Sanskrit language. "Sanatana" is a Sanskrit word that denotes that which which is Anadi (beginningless), Anantha (endless) and does not cease to be, that which is eternal and everlasting. With its rich connotations, Dharma is not translatable to any other language. Dharma is from dhri, meaning to hold together, to sustain. Its approximate meaning is "Natural Law," or those principles of reality which are inherent in the very nature and design of the universe. Thus the term Sanatana Dharma can be roughly translated to mean "the natural, ancient and eternal way."

Sanatana Dharma -

Hindu comes from Hind, the Persian and Arabic name for the Indus river, which is called Darya-e Sindh in Urdu and Sindhu in Sanskrit. Doesn't have anything to do with the the pronunciation of 's' or whatever.

Originally, after the Muslim invaders (Turkik mainly who where 'Persianised') came to call the people of this region 'Hindu'. Originally, it didn't have any relation to religion, but later came to be associated with the practises, cults, and whatever else of the people of this region.

Funny enough though, the original practitioners of the Hindu religion, those that lived close to the Indus river, converted to Islam, and their descendants today are the Pakistani people.

Actually that's a very important viewpoint.

The term 'Hindu' came to be associated with the people who were residing in the land of IVC and were the claimants to the ancient civilisation.

Which means those people followed the religion of Hiunduism or Sanatan Dharma, as it was called in the ancient times.

Which means that the link of people in the modern day Northern India to the IVC becomes even stronger and undeniable.

Eureka!

The most appropriate word could be Vedanti and everything and even tow out of three names of our country are imposed or imported
India, Hindustan , Bharat

Being Muslim is way better than being Hindu :lol:

Ask your Indian Muslim 'brothers'; I'm sure they agree with me this once :D

lol Why should I ask anybody anything? I'm not insecure about my religions superiority.

It's your insecurity. You are desperate to prove your religion superior. You go and ask anything to anybody you want to.

What do I care?

It means squat to me whether you celebrate Eid or Diwali. It's not like you're gonna pay me anything.

I know my religions's the best for me. I don't have to go around asking people whether my religion suits me or not.

:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom