What's new

Maybe, Kasparov regrets his decision to retire: Viswanathan Anand

ALOK31

BANNED
Reaction score
CHENNAI: Usually, Viswanathan Anand is not at bullying anyone, but he proved on Sunday that when he is provoked he could become an Indian 'tiger'. The Garry Kasparov albatross was always hanging around his neck ever since he lost to the Russian in 1995 and it revisited him last month when he was playing Boris Gelfand of Israel for the World chess championship title in Moscow. When it came back yet again on his arrival in his home city on Sunday at a press conference organised by his sponsors NIIT, Anand has his repartee ready.

"I think, Kasparov regrets his decision to retire," said Anand when asked what he though of the former World champion's remark that the Indian's game had gone down in quality and he should retire. "Kasparov lost his match in 2000 (to Kramnik) and retired in 2005. Then since 2011, he has been trying to make me retire too. He is perhaps missing the attention he used to get as the World champion," the current World champion retorted.

In the same breath, Anand ruled out any possibility that he would retire from chess. "I am enjoying the game and I have just defended the title, so why should I retire," quipped the 42-year-old who added that Kasparov could not digest that both the World championship contestants were over 40 years in age.

Anand thanked chief minister Jayalalithaa for her decision to include chess in schools and also her role in promoting the game. The TN CM has awarded Anand Rs two crore on Friday for winning the World title. Anand gave a demonstration of the game he won on the display board.

The NIIT mind champion said his loss and the comeback in the next game from the match formed the first turning point in Moscow. The second turning point was the tiebreakers where he said either player could have won but "I held my nerves."

The World champion complimented Boris Gelfand for keeping the match "entirely on the chessboard."

http://http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/chess/Maybe-Kasparov-regrets-his-decision-to-retire-Viswanathan-Anand/articleshow/13779095.cms

Back
Top Bottom