What's new

Lockheed Overruns $771 Mln On Early F-35s

rockstarIN

Reaction score
Country
India
Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Joint Strike Fighter early-production models overshot their cost targets by a combined total of $771 million, U.S. Senator John McCain said on Tuesday.

“Outrageous!” the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee said in a tweet. The Pentagon is seeking $264 million in reprogrammed funding as a kind of downpayment on the overrun, he wrote, adding: “Disgraceful.”

Lockheed is developing three F-35 versions for the United States and eight international partners at a projected cost of more than $382 billion for 2,443 aircraft over the next two decades. It is the most expensive U.S. arms purchase.

The Pentagon’s F-35 Joint Program Office previously had said total costs on the first three production batches overshot their contractual targets by 11 to 15 percent. These “cost-plus” deals required the government to pay most of an overrun.

The tweet from McCain, who has spearheaded opposition to what he regards as wasteful arms programs, was the first public disclosure of the overrun’s dollar figure. The program office reported the sum to the Senate Armed Services Committee staff on Monday, a McCain aide said. He said it applied to the first 28 jets.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/awx/2011/07/13/awx_07_13_2011_p0-347275.xml&headline=Lockheed%20Overruns%20$771%20Mln%20On%20Early%20F-35s

WTF. Are these figures right?? That makes $150+ million development cost per jet!!!

As per this report, first 28 jets will be @ 178-190 million range.

US should shut down the F35 program. Use the experience gained from this program for future programs.

At the moment, just increase the number of Raptors, improve them, and retire F15.

I don't think I've ever heard of a US weapons program that didn't go over-budget, no real news.

I don't think I've ever heard of a US weapons program that didn't go over-budget, no real news.

Well, there was a time US could afford it. The Space Shuttle program was a commercial failure, yet US carried on for 2-3 decades because it could sustain it. Not so anymore.High time there is an introspection done.

Well, there was a time US could afford it. The Space Shuttle program was a commercial failure, yet US carried on for 2-3 decades because it could sustain it. Not so anymore.High time there is an introspection done.

Broke is relative...we are hardly living in shacks and starving...

Broke is relative...we are hardly living in shacks and starving...

I'm not saying you are broke :). But there is something called as over stretching the economy. Disbanding the F-35's is hardly gonna leave you defenceless. US jets are still among the best. It's more of an ego battle to say my jet is a generation ahead of others out there. It's a legacy of the cold war way of thinking.

I'm not saying you are broke :). But there is something called as over stretching the economy. Disbanding the F-35's is hardly gonna leave you defenceless. US jets are still among the best. It's more of an ego battle to say my jet is a generation ahead of others out there. It's a legacy of the cold war way of thinking.

Lol, you are right! But there is practical advantage to the ego stroking. You do not wake up one day and find yourself behind!

Not agree... apart from F-22, there is nothing in the US inventory which is the best. Other nations already catch up with the other US weapon systems. Its not ego, they have to have a superb fighter within the financial limits.

That is true. My father was ADA, and he was telling me about a SAM system proposed in the 60's. Was incredible, but too expensive. When all the cuts were made to bring cost down, it was no better than I-HAWK.

Not agree... apart from F-22, there is nothing in the US inventory which is the best. Other nations already catch up with the other US weapon systems. Its not ego, they have to have a superb fighter within the financial limits.

Oook...a reply to that would entail a detailed description of the US airforce and the technologies in use apart from the conventional weapon and radar systems. But that would be too long for this post. So I'm gonna leave it at that.

^^ I don't mind..., I know their equipments are best, but others are catching up now..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom