Bratva

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
col1.gif

col1a.gif

col4.gif

Main Point in the second episode of column. " Uranium enrichment technology was mine. I gave this technology to a Poor country like Pakistan. I didn't sold this tech to government instead I gave this 2 billion technology for free"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Counter Claims

AQ Khan: the truth finally prevails

The damning truth exposed by a former director general nuclear power, Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood, in his article “The whole truth — nuclear Pakistan” (September 4), published in The News, must have been astonishing for the general public. It should be an eye-opener for all of us, especially the vibrant media, which never tires of glorifying AQ Khan as an eminent nuclear supremo.

AQ Khan built the facade of his invincibility by condemning all the superb accomplishments of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) — achieved over 20 years of dedication, by real nuclear, chemical, metallurgical and mining scientists — and by brazenly denigrating the real but humble hero, Munir Ahmed Khan. For those in the know, Munir will always be the indisputable father of the nuclear embryo and its development into the final product UF-6, without which a thousand centrifuges are as useless as a cooking pot without any feedstock. All this had been achieved before AQ Khan entered the fray in 1976. The scores of exceptional scientists on Munir’s team were responsible for mining 10,000 tonnes of uranium, which was put through yellow cake to liquification and gasification to be fed into the centrifuges for eventual separation of U-235-from U-238 and solidification to produce weapon-grade uranium. All of this was achieved at the PAEC, under Munir’s watch.

AQ Khan had the part of the centrifuge to separate the elements and that was sent back to the PAEC for processing to create the final product, i.e., weapon-grade uranium. However, even that was just the first phase of what was to become a nuclear weapon capable of reaching its target and being delivered with accuracy for desired results. This was the cardinal phase, whereby a nuclear triggering mechanism had to be created and the weapon integration in the weapon attack system had to be carried by the best and fastest fighter aircraft, an F-16 in this case.
This aircraft could evade the enemy air defence and deliver the weapon accurately. Pakistan did not have missile technology then. The consummate professional who engaged in this indispensable phase was Hafeez Qureshi, the head of the Directorate of Technical Development (DTD). Later, a Pakistan Air Force engineering element was added to the project. The cold drop by a Mirage at the Lalian Range was a near direct hit by one of my former junior colleagues. AQ Khan had no part in this entire development at the DTD.

The public and AQ Khan’s admirers should know that firstly, he was just a copper metallurgist employed in Holland by Urenco and assigned to a less sensitive section, which was not directly involved in development of centrifuges. His first assignment in Pakistan was as an assistant to the project director. The process from mining to yellow cake stage to liquefying to gaseous and final solid metal weapon-grade uranium was the labour of love of hundreds of scientists. AQ Khan, indeed, had his role in equal measure as did each one of the team to have reverse engineered the centrifuge. Little known, though, is the fact that the protocol type centrifuges had already been made in the Chaklala barracks before AQ Khan joined in 1976. The design he brought was incomplete and intense research was carried out under GD Alam, along with Anwar Ali, Ejaz Khokhar, Javed Mirza and others. It is time that the combined effort of scores of heroic Pakistani scientists and engineers who chose to remain anonymous, is recognized.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 13th, 2012.

The writer is a retired air commodore of the Pakistan Air Force and is author of Flight of the Falcon (Vanguard, 2009)

AQ Khan: the truth finally prevails – The Express Tribune

The whole truth — nuclear Pakistan

Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood (SI)
Tuesday, September 04, 2012

I have been associated with Pakistan’s nuclear programme and the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission since 1963 and therefore I have firsthand knowledge of the various phases of the country’s nuclear quest. However the sensitive nature of the subject requires that we should be very careful while talking about it. This is what the (late) Chairman PAEC Munir Ahmad Khan impressed upon all his team members. If some self-glorified scientists/engineers have succeeded to reduce his image to the status of a villain, it is due to his modesty and not advertising his achievements in his lifetime. By awarding the posthumous Nishan-i-Imtiaz thirteen years after his death, the president has done no favour to him but has only corrected a wrong.

Soon after India’s 1974 test, the PAEC decided to adopt centrifuge technology for uranium enrichment and I was tasked by Munir Ahmad Khan to prepare a feasibility on the basis of comparative studies of different enrichment technologies. Previous to this assignment, I was commissioning engineer and incharge of troubleshooting during the commissioning phases of KANUPP. Before that, I had worked at Risley Design Centre with the UK Atomic Energy Authority who had applied two patents in my name, and published eleven technical reports in one year — a rare honour for any nuclear engineer.

The Enrichment Project, commonly known as the Kahuta Project or KRL was also started by the PAEC in October 1974 with myself as its director. I handed over charge of the project after 33 months on July 17, 1976 to Dr AQ Khan. By then, we had completed the designs for the centrifuge machine and the process plant in the shabby Second World War Army Barracks near Chaklala airport, known as the Airport Development Workshop. We had deliberately left parts of the outer side of ADW unfurnished to maintain secrecy while the inner parts were furnished as per our needs. It was our deliberate policy to give priority to procurements of essential materials and equipment, build manpower and an indigenous base and not waste time on expensive buildings and cars in the initial years.

We had also managed to procure most of the short term and long term requirements of machinery and materials for the first phase of the project as per our original plan.

Dr AQ Khan joined the project in early 1976 as Director Research. Prior to this, he was working for us in Amsterdam, Holland. The PAEC team had begun work on local development of a high-speed motor for the centrifuge and the aluminium centrifuge base.

We also started indigenous development of high frequency generators and bellows using explosive forming techniques. By July 1976, we had installed and commissioned the centrifuge rotor manufacturing machines, electron beam-welding machine, high strength magnet charging machines, and initiated work on high speed bearings, grooving and welding technologies.

These are few examples only. We had procured large quantities of high strength aluminium and maraging steel for manufacturing centrifuge rotors and other components for centrifuge machines. The team of dedicated scientists and engineers who made the project a success in the initial years and came from the PAEC, among them Dr GD Alam, Anwar Ali, Ijaz Khokhar, Dr Javed Mirza, Brig. Abdus Salam (EME), Col Rashid Ali (EME) and many more illustrious names. Many of them later rose to important positions in KRL under Dr AQ Khan.

By the time the project was separated from the PAEC, it was on its way to produce weapon-grade enriched uranium by 1980. However, once the project was separated from the PAEC, this target was met several years later and at many times the estimated budget. However, I do not wish to undermine AQ Khan’s contribution in taking the project forward from where we left in 1976.

Dr AQ Khan succeeded me as head of the Kahuta project on July 17, 1976. He accused me of procuring sub-standard maraging steel and I was later exonerated of this charge. I handed over charge of the project to AQ Khan in the presence of Agha Shahi and Munir Ahmad Khan the same day. I was transferred back to the PAEC and was assigned the job to extend its capacity of the uranium mining and refining project.

Meanwhile, Munir Ahmad Khan had launched over 20 laboratories and projects in the nuclear programme from 1972-1991, each one essential to acquire nuclear capability. Some of them are the uranium mining, refining, uranium oxide and hexafluoride UF6 production plants (the feedstock for KRL).

On the plutonium side, it was Munir Khan’s vision to develop plutonium capability for Pakistan and I was assigned the task of designing and building the 50 MW Khushab-1 Nuclear Reactor and metal fuel manufacturing project indigenously for producing plutonium in 1986. The Khushab reactor project was completed within ten years using Pakistani manpower, materials and know-how most economically. Based on this success and the team, which we trained in the PAEC, Pakistan has now expanded this capability by building similar reactors at Khushab.

It was again the PAEC, which carried out several cold tests of different nuclear weapon designs under the leadership of Munir Ahmad Khan. These tests were conducted by Dr Samar Mubarakmand and Muhammad Hafeez Qureshi. The first cold test of a working nuclear device was carried out on March 11, 1983 at Kirana Hills and President Zia was informed of the results by Munir Khan the same evening. Subsequently, 24 more cold tests were conducted by the PAEC between 1983 and the early 1990s. The second cold test in 1983 was witnessed by Ghulam Ishaq Khan, General KM Arif (Vice Chief of Army Staff) and Munir Ahmad Khan.

In addition Munir Khan also established the Nuclear Fuel Fabrication Complex, Kundian; New Laboratories Reprocessing Plant, PINSTECH; Chaghi, Kharan and Kirana Hills nuclear test sites; and laid the foundation for the 300 MW Chashma-1 Nuclear Power Plant. The Centre for Nuclear Studies (now a University PIEAS), which has produced indigenous trained manpower for Pakistan’s nuclear programme, was also his achievement. He also built several nuclear agriculture, biotechnology and medical centres across the country. Besides, Pakistan’s first gamma sterilization plant for sterilization of medical products was built in Lahore under my supervision, which is still serving the nation. These facts can be verified from Dr Samar Mubarakmand.

Pakistan became a nuclear power due to the dedicated efforts of a large team of scientists, engineers and technicians who participated in this sacred endeavour for several decades. The nuclear programme enjoyed complete support of the people, the armed forces and the politicians. There is no single hero of this success story. It has been a great national effort and if credit goes to anybody it goes to the people of Pakistan who sacrificed so much in the shape of sanctions for the success of the programme. Let’s not fight for mundane rewards and belittle each others efforts. If some energy is still left in us, it should be spent only in the service of Pakistan — our Pakistan.

The writer is former Director-General (Nuclear Power), PAEC

The whole truth

A brilliant compilation, I must say. There is no need of any further explanation, as everything is evident.

Sometimes I think that AQ Khan is on a mission to claim all credit, so that the names of the "real" people remain unknown (to the public, as the intelligence agencies know for sure of the real men). For example, very little is known about Muhammad Hafeez Qureshi of DTD, who lead his team on designing the complete nuclear warheads from weapons grade uranium and plutonium. His team developed successful arming systems, triggering mechanisms, weapon safeties and onboard electronics for different warheads, and improved them to the efficient devices tested in '98.

But its just a thought.

As responsible citizens this is our duty/responsibility not to divulge any names here or any othe rforum. Dr. A. Q. Khan has spent his life serving Pakistan and gave a BIG sacrifise when he admitted prolifration thus saving many others and the country from international blame game.

We have lots of respect for DR. A. Q. Khan and thousands others who work silently and diligently on projects of national security. May Allah bless them all and protect them all. Ameen.

Admin please close the thread.

15 minutes of patient readind, and the only thing coming to my mind is,

Pakistan needs to improve the quantity and QUALITY of whatever education is evtually imparted.

Even the office peon working in the offices of our nuclear installations deserve our thanks. And A.Q. Khan was a respected scientist who worked tirelessly for Pakistan leaving the comfortable life of a First World country and come and live in Pakistan. People tend to forget that.

But as there are supporters of him like me who will always respect him, I guess we will have haters too who for God knows why will always hate him.
But I just want to salute him again and all the people who worked on our nuclear program no matter how big or small their part was.

A.Q. Khan Zindabad.
All other Pakistani Nuclear Scientists Zindabad.
Pakistan Zindabad.
:pakistan:

The rest does not matter.

AQ Khan jeopardized international security in his nuclear export project and offering rogue countries to develop nuclear weapons. Just imagine the catastrophic if Libya possessed today nuclear weapons with the generous help of AQ Khan.

AQ Khan was and still is a dangerous man who tried to bring forward the terrible possibility of a nuclear war or the possession of nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists, terror states (like Iran) and countries which starve their own people (like North Korea). And he did that as part of his ego-trip and as a result of corruption.

It is a shame that any country and any people in the world would treat this kind of degenerate person as a national hero.

AQ Khan jeopardized international security in his nuclear export project and offering rogue countries to develop nuclear weapons. Just imagine the catastrophic if Libya possessed today nuclear weapons with the generous help of AQ Khan.

AQ Khan was and still is a dangerous man who tried to bring forward the terrible possibility of a nuclear war or the possession of nuclear weapons in the hands of terrorists, terror states (like Iran) and countries which starve their own people (like North Korea). And he did that as part of his ego-trip and as a result of corruption.

It is a shame that any country and any people in the world would treat this kind of degenerate person as a national hero.

Mordechai Vanunu is my hero. Due to his efforts we came to know how dangerous has Israel become.

How? Please clarify.

BTW, the topic is AQ Khan, read again...

The topic is AQ Khan diatribes not about your diatribes against AQ Khan.

Mordechai Vanunu and AQ Khan both compromised national security. Former compromised for the greater good and later compromised for the monetary gains so that nation nuclear program can run afloat.

Exposing the true metal of our scientest and engineers can become a threat to national security and the lives of those engineers - exactly what is happening in Iran. So as a security measure, a fool was bought in to boast about and be the political slaughter goat of entire nuke affair. This is the blunt reality if AQ Khan!

A moment of silence in respect of this brave son of the nation-
A Q Khan- i salute you-

Now what I am going to write is not going to be shocking. Even a young teenager should know this.
A.Q. Khan took the fall for our military. He took all the blame so that our military could escape the US and the world pressure. Although the CIA knows about this, but at that time Pakistan was supposedly a good ally of US and US was really angry with Pakistan, but had to accept that it can do anything against Pak military as it USA needed Pakistan, so agreed that A. Q. Khan will be made a scape goat.
Now the Pak military asked our scientist will he be willing to take one for the country as someone will have to pay for it and so it was agreed that he will take the fall but will not get a jail term or extradited and would be pardoned. This was a drama played to perfection. As many people would have protested if anything would have happened to A. Q. Khan.
The funny thing is that how can everyone believes that he was secretly sending info to North Korea and Iran and Libya without anyone in ISI knowing. LOL. That is unbelievable.
It was the Pakistan military which was involved as it needed cash and info about missiles. Iran gave cash and North Korea info on missiles technology.
Now ofcourse, there will be many people who will not want to believe this all and will still continue to believe the other version. Well whatever suits you. Fine with me.
Cheers.
:bounce:

A brilliant compilation, I must say. There is no need of any further explanation, as everything is evident.

Sometimes I think that AQ Khan is on a mission to claim all credit, so that the names of the "real" people remain unknown (to the public, as the intelligence agencies know for sure of the real men). For example, very little is known about Muhammad Hafeez Qureshi of DTD, who lead his team on designing the complete nuclear warheads from weapons grade uranium and plutonium. His team developed successful arming systems, triggering mechanisms, weapon safeties and onboard electronics for different warheads, and improved them to the efficient devices tested in '98.

But its just a thought.

Without Dr A Q Khan and without his uranium centrifuge blue print what ever you mention above is useless thats why he is right call Father of Pakistan nuclear bomb

Without Dr A Q Khan and without his uranium centrifuge blue print what ever you mention above is useless thats why he is right call Father of Pakistan nuclear bomb

This is what we want the world to believe and you Indians are doing a perfect job by having your actors featured in BBC documentaries portraying AQ Khan.

Back
Top Bottom