What's new

Khariji in Action: Democratic system is un-Islamic, says Hakimullah Mehsud

I wrote that because many people were saying that the first caliph was elected by vote, and by that statement, implying that it amounted to democracy. It doesn't - it only amounts to an elective monarchy.

Now, coming to your part about the rashidun caliphate - it was not a democracy in the sense in which we use the term today. There are many kinds of democracies as well, but when we say "democracy" these days, we mean at least a representative democracy, maybe a liberal democracy.

When you say that the caliphate had a parliament, I assume you mean the majilis? If so, those were not bodies of elected representatives, which is what a parliament in a representative democracy is. These majilis (they went by a few other terms too, and I cannot recollect those from memory) operated differently in different parts of the caliphate, and as far as I know, they were not composed of a bunch of people voted from specific regions. That is, it wasn't like one member was elected from one province and so on. There were general guidelines on who can become a member, but REPRESENTATION of people by area was not part of the concept. I know that this is true of most of these majilis. Maybe there were some parts where it was practiced in the way modern democracies function - I am not aware of any.

Another thing to note is that in modern democracies, each arm of the govt has a specific function. (Seperation of powers and all that.) The function of the elected representatives is law making. Most of the majilis solely functioned to elect a caliph - that is a good practice, but that is not what we expect our representatives to do today. Or the majilis acted as an advisory council for the caliphs. All this is very different from what we call representative democracy today.

Don't get me wrong, the system of the early caliphate was probably a HUGE improvement over anything that those regions had seen. Only the greeks, 500+ years before them, and in a different geographical region, had invented a better system, to the best of my knowledge. For their time and place, their system was much better than anything else.

However, we have a superior system of governing in the modern day concept of a liberal democracy. Universal adult franchise, general elections, multiple political parties, separation of powers between different branches of govt, universal rights and liberties, these are all necessary conditions for a state to be called a classical democracy today. Most of these did not exist (or did not exist together in any province) in the caliphate. And that is not surprising since, just like other branches of human knowledge evolve, so does political and administrative thought. Just like we know a lot more about science or engineering than people did a thousand years back, we also have better administrative systems today, because we can learn from all the good and bad systems tried in the past.

And that is why it is silly to ask whether something we have today confirms to what we had in the long past. What is a good system of governance should be analysed and arrived at through reasoning, not on the basis of what people in the 7th century did. To ask whether democracy is "Islamic" or not is as silly and pointless as asking whether lightbulbs are Islamic or not. I am pretty sure that the early caliphate did not use electricity or railroads or lightbulbs - does that make any of these unislamic? Should we use railroads or lightbulbs, or should we travel only on camels? How do we decide that question? Not by asking what the people in the early caliphate did, but by using our reasoning to arrive at an answer. The answer of course is that fluorescent lightbulbs are a lot easier and cheaper and efficient to use than oil lamps or wood, and railroads and motor cars are much more efficient than camels. And that is why we discarded one for the other. And that is why today we should shun earlier systems of governance, and adopt the newer ones, if the newer ones are better - which of course should be analysed through reason.

(By the way this talib dude's AK-47 is also unislamic. He should fight with swords, which is what muhammed and his followers did. Same reasoning that he uses to condemn democracy.)

Fair enough analysis.

can question friends? =)

1. what are his beliefs? I heard that he Sufi (Deobandi or Barelvi) - is this true?

2. why there is no agreement negotiations - why?

3. Pakistan's population (+ Afghanistan) - who supports it (vote)?

success =)

Hakimullah Mahsud is one of the most dangerous criminals in Pakistan and he and his predecessor Baitullah have been involved in massive atrocities against Pakistan. Today 40,000 Pakistanis are dead because of this mass murderer. But the biggest issue and question is why do the forces not take action against him and try to eliminate him.

If given the chance I can form up a team to trace and eliminate this Taliban commander. This man is Pakistan's Bin Laden. ISI should infiltrate his network and find a way to assassinate him. This militant is extremely dangerous and we must find a way to eliminate him. The ease with which this man gives fiery sermons and interviews with journalists threatening the Pakistani state makes people wonder about whether our Pakistani government really has the will to eliminate the Taliban.

The funny thing is America says ban fertilizer because its hurting foreign troops we do it. But when it comes to eliminating those commanders and militants attacking Pakistani citizens we fail miserably in eliminating them. Serious action is needed against the TTP.
pakistani forces dont take action becuase they are too busy playing politics with america.
they want money before they attack, our generals are corrupt i say about half of them for sure.

Can a nation that has lived with its culture and traditions for centuries have a terrorist leader dictate what kind of a system of government should be imposed on them? Especially when this group has killed over 49000 innocent Pakistanis from all factions of life in just the last few years! Their form of government has been tried and tested. When their counterparts ruled Afghanistan all that we saw was death, destruction and discrimination against women and minorities. As recently as few years ago they were given a chance by the Pakistani government to run the SWAT valley according to their laws, but instead of showing the world how wonderful their form of government was, they created the same havoc on innocent Swatis that they had done earlier in Afghanistan. Thousands of people left their homes due to the fear of the Taliban. Girl’s education was banned and schools closed. Public execution was a daily practice. If you did not adhere to the TTP rules; death was imminent. Did the Pakistani security force not go in and free the people of SWAT from these merciless groups of barbarians? It is easy to evoke religious edicts, but it cannot be done in bits and pieces. Choose what pleases the Taliban and twist, turn and discard what they want to ignore. TTP leadership should realize that they have been rejected by the people of the region. They cannot impose their version of any law as they please. People of both Afghanistan and Pakistan know what they want… A peaceful life with an opportunity to succeed with hard work, and not the Taliban goons dictating every aspect of their lives!

Abdul Quddus
DET-United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Can a nation that has lived with its culture and traditions for centuries have a terrorist leader dictate what kind of a system of government should be imposed on them? Especially when this group has killed over 49000 innocent Pakistanis from all factions of life in just the last few years! Their form of government has been tried and tested. When their counterparts ruled Afghanistan all that we saw was death, destruction and discrimination against women and minorities. As recently as few years ago they were given a chance by the Pakistani government to run the SWAT valley according to their laws, but instead of showing the world how wonderful their form of government was, they created the same havoc on innocent Swatis that they had done earlier in Afghanistan. Thousands of people left their homes due to the fear of the Taliban. Girl’s education was banned and schools closed. Public execution was a daily practice. If you did not adhere to the TTP rules; death was imminent. Did the Pakistani security force not go in and free the people of SWAT from these merciless groups of barbarians? It is easy to evoke religious edicts, but it cannot be done in bits and pieces. Choose what pleases the Taliban and twist, turn and discard what they want to ignore. TTP leadership should realize that they have been rejected by the people of the region. They cannot impose their version of any law as they please. People of both Afghanistan and Pakistan know what they want… A peaceful life with an opportunity to succeed with hard work, and not the Taliban goons dictating every aspect of their lives!

Abdul Quddus
DET-United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Pakistanis don't fear TTP, we will have elections and these rats will see it!
Moreover, also note that we want no rubber stamps from the capital hill either.

Any internal or foreign intervention in our electoral process will not be taken lightly.

Though we can't rule out the threat posed by these terrorists/pawns at the same time I wouldn't take such statements issued by this mountain goat very seriously

pakistani forces dont take action becuase they are too busy playing politics with america.
they want money before they attack, our generals are corrupt i say about half of them for sure.

I think you haven't been following the news in the past 3-4 years.

I'm sorry for that brother

Though we can't rule out the threat posed by these terrorists/pawns at the same time I wouldn't take such statements issued by this mountain goat very seriously

I think you haven't been following the news in the past 3-4 years.

I'm sorry for that brother

who do you think your fooling?
everybody in pakistan knows that about half of our generals corrupt.
they are playing politics with americans thats the just the truth.
how do generals become multi millionaires on their salaries?

Who the hell made this scumbag a representative of what Pakistanis want ? :angry:

Talking about Islam , these bastards violate the Islamic codes and exploit the religion to their benefit the most , so killing of innocents becomes legal along with trading drugs , denying any freedom to women and terrorizing people ! Have a look at Swat whoever wants their rule to be back ...

Why cant we trace these goddamn phone calls !

Yes the angels came and decided how is best among them.

Yeah , the delusion of angelic people and ideal societies , these kids are beyond believe !

We have seen the effects of forceful implementation of modified Islam in the 80's resulting in the death of thousands of Pakistanis and deterioration in the society , economy and image ! :azn:

killing 50000 innocents blast markets mosques markets airports streets tombs homes beheading solders and all this for islam :confused:

Han " maslehat " ke tehat ! Yet people still want their rule , how fcuking amazing ?

If you talk to these religious psychopaths !

Back
Top Bottom