What's new

Is this the first wearable computer?

cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Is this the first wearable computer? 300-year-old Chinese abacus ring was used during the Qing Dynasty to help traders

• Ring features a 1.2cm long, 0.7cm wide abacus that sits onthe finger
  • The ring's abacus has seven rods with seven beads on each rod
  • Due to its size, the beads can only be moved using small tools such as pins

By Ellie Zolfagharifard

PUBLISHED: 16:19 GMT, 19 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:29 GMT, 19 March 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-used-Qing-Dynasty-help-traders.html#comments
Wearable technology is thought to be the latest trend sweeping the digital world.

But the concept isn’t as new as you might think. Back in the 17th century, one pioneering designer in China created a functioning ‘smart ring’.

Developed in the Qing Dynasty era (1644-1911), the ring features a 1.2cm long, 0.7cm wide abacus that sits on the finger.

article-2584437-1C6B671A00000578-745_634x352.jpg

The ring's Zhusuan, or China's abacus, has seven rods with seven beads on each rod. Despite its small size, the rings still works as a counting tool

The Zhusuan, or China's abacus, has seven rods with seven beads on each rod. Despite its small size, the rings still works as a counting tool, allowing traders to make quick calculations.

The origins of the ring are unknown. However, the beads are far too small to be moved using fingers, according to ChinaCulture.org.

‘It seems that the beads can only be moved by small tools such as pins,’ the site writes.

‘However, this is no problem for this abacus’s primary user — the ancient Chinese lady, for she only needs to pick one from her many hairpins.’

article-2584437-1C6BABE100000578-407_634x421.jpg

The Chinese abacus is thought to have been created by a famous mathematician Cheng Dawei of the Ming Dynasty between 1368 and 1644

The Chinese abacus is thought to have been created by a famous mathematician Cheng Dawei of the Ming Dynasty between 1368 and 1644.

A typical elementary abacus has 10 parallel wires strung between two boards on a frame, with nine beads on each wire.

Each bead has a value of 10, a multiple or sub multiple of 10. For example, all of the beads on a particular wire can have a value of 1.

To represent 155, for instance, five beads on a wire are separated from the others on the tens wire, and one bead on the hundreds wire.

While the abacus ring may not be able to make phone calls, it proves that wearable technology might not be as radical a concept as some people think.

article-2522556-1A0E3C5A00000578-881_634x307.jpg

While the abacus ring may not be able to make phone calls, it proves that wearable smart rings such as the one pictured might not be as radical a concept as some people think

Read more: Is this the first wearable computer? 300-year-old Chinese abacus ring was used during the Qing Dynasty to help traders | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Next computer/phone will be a tiny chip planted in our head.

Have you heard about Google making 'Google Glass' type wearable computers, embedded on contact lens. How amazing it sounds? It's like Mission Impossible 4 in real life.

I'm waiting for Motorola 360 smart watch, if it's priced below 200 USD, i'm going to grab it. Google Glass at 1500 USD is out of my reach.

Last edited:
Damn! Indiegogo is helping a lot of innovators nowadays i've seen so many innovators getting funded from people on indiegogo. Good now we'll see more futuristic gadgets coming:enjoy:

This is amazing.
Bro the inventor is an Indian from Chennai! I think we should create a sticky thread named "Indian Inventors". Where we can post all these innovations ;)

Here:

Smarty Ring | Indiegogo

Last edited:
Can you give me a link, youtube preferably.
Seriously, i am doing the same. But not able to recall it's name. wait it may take some time. I'll get back when i get it!

Can you give me a link, youtube preferably.
Here you go mate. Damn that took so long. It's a lot cheaper and is of a Bangalore based company

mistral-wearable-headset-computer.jpg

It may be a long wait for people interested in buying the Google Glass in India. In the meantime though, a Bangalore-based IT company has developed a Google Glass-type device of its own, which is already creating waves abroad, The Economic Times reports.

Mistral Solutions, founded by Anees Ahmed, has developed a wearable computing device that can be operated by one’s voice. There is a near-eye screen, which looks like a 15-inch display to the eye and all the functions can be done using voice commands. It also includes connectivity options like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

“Google Glass is operated by touch, here everything is done by voice,” Ahmed told ET. “Like a direction-sensitive microphone used by fighter pilots, it can pick up voice commands only from your mouth and cancel all other noises.”

Ahmed has designed the device with people like firefighters, police and EMTs in mind, who could use critical data immediately without using their hands. Mistral’s wearable device has already been put to use by the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to assist in crime scenes. Though this version has mainly been developed for industrial use, Ahmed did reveal that they have a sleeker design in mind for commercial use in the future.

This is India’s answer to the Google Glass | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom