What's new

Iran's Space Program

SOHEIL

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Iran has its sights set on putting an astronaut on the moon by 2025, after becoming the first Islamic nation to put its own payload into space last year. But the grand goal of getting to the moon may be among the least of the benefits Iran expects to reap from its expanding space program.

Iran's motivations for a space program are most likely practical: developing possible ballistic missile technology and building international prestige as a message to friends and enemies alike, analysts say.

"They will clearly use dual-use technology for a military buildup, and as long as they at least dabble in human spaceflight, they get advantageous press coverage on that as well," said Joan Johnson-Freese, professor of National Security Studies at the Naval War College in Newport, R.I.

Iran launched its first domestically built satellite in February 2009 and promises more satellite launches in 2011. It also has offered to help any other Muslim countries with developing their own space programs, according to a FAQ recently compiled by Tiffany Chow, a researcher at Secure World Foundation, a watchdog group based in Washington, D.C., that tracks space security issues.

Such political signals may serve Tehran's purpose even if the country lacks the technical capabilities to back up its intentions, analysts said.

"Given the current state of Iran's launch capabilities, it is unlikely that they'd be able to develop a human spaceflight program and successfully send an Iranian to the moon by 2025," Chow pointed out.

Fits and starts

Several earlier launch attempts by Iran appeared to fail despite the country's claims otherwise, according to the Secure World Foundation FAQ. The rocket technology involves a mix of North Korean and Soviet missile designs.

The first launch attempt involved a two-stage rocket named Safir ("Ambassador" in Farsi), with a dummy satellite, Aug. 17, 2008. The rocket failed shortly after liftoff, according to outside analysts.

Confirmed success finally came with the launch of the Safir-2 rocket Feb. 3, 2009. That rocket placed an Omid satellite weighing some 44 to 60 pounds (20 to 27 kilograms) into low Earth orbit. The cube-shaped satellite is almost 16 inches (40 centimeters) on each side.

Another launch attempt, this past Feb. 2, involved a Kavoshgar ("Explorer") sounding rocket designed to climb just 62 miles (100 kilometers). The sounding rocket — a rocket designed to collect data rather than transport cargo — had a living payload consisting of two turtles, a worm and a rat that were supposed to parachute back down to safety. No solid proof of the launch's success ever emerged.

Iran had played up the event by launching the rocket from the back of a military truck rather than one of the country's four designated space launch sites. The Defense Minister, Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, oversaw the launch and issued a warning that Iran would not tolerate "any unpeaceful use (of space) by any country."

Such portrayals by Iran of its launches are in stark contrast to "repeated delays in their space program and failures not discussed," according to Charles Vick, senior technical and policy analyst at GlobalSecurity.org.

Next on the launch pad

There's more to come in 2011.

Iran announced it will launch its 89-foot-long (27 meters) Simorgh rocket, also known as Phoenix, which has a liquid fuel propulsion system capable of carrying more than 220 pounds (100 kg) to an altitude of almost 311 miles (500 km).

The Simorgh rocket can carry a new generation of Iranian satellites such as the Mesbah "Lantern" cube satellite, which measures almost 20 inches (50 cm) on each side and weighs between 132 and 165 pounds (60-75 kg).

Mesbah-1 was originally designed and built by Italy and slated for launch by Russia. (Russia had built Iran's first commercial satellite, Sinah, and launched it Oct. 27, 2005.)

But Russia reported that the Mesbah-1 satellite never arrived for launch, and in July 2009 it announced its refusal to launch any more Iranian satellites. Italy similarly refused to help. Mesbah-1 disappeared and has since been replaced by Mesbah-2, built by Iran largely using the Italian design.

"Some of Iran's domestic launch capabilities are indeed inspired by, and to some extent based on, foreign models and systems," Chow told SPACE.com. "Based on recent Iranian claims, though, it appears their newest launch vehicles and satellites are indigenously designed and constructed."

The Tolu ("Sunrise"), due to launch in 2011, would become Iran's first remote-sensing satellite.

I would love to see it but my heart knows thats impossible!
I mean just to put a man on the moon you need more then 100 Different experiments (Just like USA and China in progres) and not to mension training from Organizations That are experienced in these stuff (NASA and others) you just cant put a man on the moon like that and especcialy not when your under sanctions. The only muslim nations that have a change of putting before 2025 (My openion) is Turkey and Indonesia. Two perfect candidates! However if iran actuall pull off this impossible task i would be glad :)

I mean just to put a man on the moon you need more then 100 Different experiments (Just like USA and China in progres) and not to mension training from Organizations That are experienced in these stuff (NASA and others) you just cant put a man on the moon like that and especcialy not when your under sanctions. The only muslim nations that have a change of putting before 2025 (My openion) is Turkey and Indonesia. Two perfect candidates! However if iran actuall pull off this impossible task i would be glad :)

wait & see :coffee:

Your answer is not scientific. There is no such thing as experienced organization when it comes to these kind of mammoth projects. When US went up there the first time, they were NOT experienced. These kind of projects need two things. A highly developed human resource pool and large fundings. Since Iranians have already proved that they can build space launchers and missiles, one can argue that they have or at least can assemble such a human resource pool if they wish so. Besides US went to moon using the 1960's technology which means that it is possible to go to moon using older technology which would be in the reach of Iran to manufacture easily. For example one of the most critical component of Apollo mission was the Apollo Guidance Computer which was a 16 bit computer with 2 MHz speed. Today some microwave ovens have faster computers than that. So technologically Iran would be able to pull this. Though I am not that sure about Turkey since they have not yet proven themselves with rockets, missiles and space launchers which are the most critical component of such a mission and which can not be imported since missile ban treaty prohibit its technology transfer.

As for the huge funding needed, this is where Turkey can help Iran. The Apollo program cost some 20 billion dollars back then which is equal to something like 100 billion dollars in today's money as per NASA. That is a huge amount of money. Iran has a GDP of something like 850 billion in PPP. And the cost of putting the men on the moon would be almost equal to 12% of Iran's GDP. It means if Iran wants to go to moon by 2025, they will have to spend more than 1% of their GDP on such a program each year, which is going to be really difficult for them as they are already under sanctions with economic troubles at home. Though it is not impossible but it is going to be a drain on their budget for the next 15 years. But if a union of Islamic countries would come forward and contribute both financially and scientifically then it is certainly a do-able task even before 2025 maybe even by 2020. But if Iran goes ahead alone, I would say not before 2030 and possibly by 2035. Such things need alot of money.

Your answer is not scientific. There is no such thing as experienced organization when it comes to these kind of mammoth projects. When US went up there the first time, they were NOT experienced. These kind of projects need two things. A highly developed human resource pool and large fundings. Since Iranians have already proved that they can build space launchers and missiles, one can argue that they have or at least can assemble such a human resource pool if they wish so. Besides US went to moon using the 1960's technology which means that it is possible to go to moon using older technology which would be in the reach of Iran to manufacture easily. For example one of the most critical component of Apollo mission was the Apollo Guidance Computer which was a 16 bit computer with 2 MHz speed. Today some microwave ovens have faster computers than that. So technologically Iran would be able to pull this. Though I am not that sure about Turkey since they have not yet proven themselves with rockets, missiles and space launchers which are the most critical component of such a mission and which can not be imported since missile ban treaty prohibit its technology transfer.

As for the huge funding needed, this is where Turkey can help Iran. The Apollo program cost some 20 billion dollars back then which is equal to something like 100 billion dollars in today's money as per NASA. That is a huge amount of money. Iran has a GDP of something like 850 billion in PPP. And the cost of putting the men on the moon would be almost equal to 12% of Iran's GDP. It means if Iran wants to go to moon by 2025, they will have to spend more than 1% of their budget on such a program each year, which is going to be really difficult for them as they are already under sanctions with economic troubles at home. But if a union of Islamic countries would come forward and contribute both financially and scientifically then it is certainly a do-able task even before 2025 maybe even by 2020. But if Iran goes ahead alone, I would say not before 2030 and possibly by 2035. Such things need alot of money.

yes it needs a lot of money ... but which country going to join with IRAN???

Malaysia ... No (you know why)
turkey ... No (they have good Relations with israHELL)
pakistan ... No (No money)
saudi arabia ... Noooooooooooooo
UAE ... Noooooooooooo
Iraq ... :unsure:
...!

UAE ... Noooooooooooo
...!

Well, that is true. In Pakistan's case it is money. If Pakistan had developed its economy using its mineral resources and human resources, it would already be on its way to go to moon by itself since Pakistan like Iran already has the human resource pool with proven missile technology at hand. The only positive point Iran has over Pakistan is that it has more money which in such projects is very very important. As I said even if Iran goes alone they can surely do it but the project is going to be delayed by 5 to 10 years. But it also depends how Iranian economy performs in the next 10 years and if it grows fast and becomes big then surely Iran will be able to allocate more funds and go to moon even by 2025. The same is with Pakistan. If in the next election a good government takes over in Pakistan and improves the economy and takes interest in such projects, then I can assure you that there will be a stiff space race between Pakistan and Iran. And I hope Pakistan wins it. :pakistan:

Well, that is true. In Pakistan's case it is money. If Pakistan had developed its economy using its mineral resources and human resources, it would already be on its way to go to moon by itself since Pakistan like Iran already has the human resource pool with proven missile technology at hand. The only positive point Iran has over Pakistan is that it has more money which in such projects is very very important. As I said even if Iran goes alone they can surely do it but the project is going to be delayed by 5 to 10 years. But it also depends how Iranian economy performs in the next 10 years and if it grows fast and becomes big then surely Iran will be able to allocate more funds and go to moon even by 2025. The same is with Pakistan. If in the next election a good government takes over in Pakistan and improves the economy and takes interest in such projects, then I can assure you that there will be a stiff space race between Pakistan and Iran. And I hope Pakistan wins it. :pakistan:

I hope to ... but where is the good government? :unsure: parvz mosharaf ? :bad:

I hope to ... but where is the good government? :unsure: parvz mosharaf ? :bad:

Good government is not because of a single person. It is because of the correct policy and planning. In Pakistan's case we need structural reform of the economy allowing rapid growth, a lower exchange rate to make our exports competitive, curing our chronic energy shortages specially that of electricity and gas due which our factories are closing, using our mineral reserves to export copper, zinc and steel, improving our infrastructure from building metros, railways and highways and finally investing more in health and education. For this we need a government with a very futuristic plan and strong convictions which can implement a 10 year plan of excellent technicalities.

i hope we can do it together :)

That is another possibility. And I hope we can have a joint space program where Pakistani and Iranian cosmonauts can work together in space. Maybe even build a small space station crewed by Iranian, Pakistani and Turkish cosmonauts. That would be really wonderful. Imagine to have all our flags painted side by side on a glittering white space station. Wow.

Good government is not because of a single person. It is because of the correct policy and planning. In Pakistan's case we need structural reform of the economy allowing rapid growth, a lower exchange rate to make our exports competitive, curing our chronic energy shortages specially that of electricity and gas due which our factories are closing, using our mineral reserves to export copper, zinc and steel, improving our infrastructure from building metros, railways and highways and finally investing more in health and education. For this we need a government with a very futuristic plan and strong convictions which can implement a 10 year plan of excellent technicalities.

Come buy oil and gas from us and grow stronger economically. * advertising and marketing for Iran *_* *

Come buy oil and gas from us and grow stronger economically. * advertising and marketing for Iran *_* *

That is the plan. But US is really pressurizing Pakistan not to do so. That is problem. Maybe the next government is going to do it. Let's hope.

UAE ... Noooooooooooo
...!

Saudisat

Saudi Arabia

224675.jpg

122651.jpg

C2.jpg

just a reply to the "Nooooooooo"

Saudi Arabia operates more Satellites than Israel even: