What's new

Iran to construct two new nuclear power plants

poseidon

BANNED
Reaction score
TEHRAN - Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Director Fereydoun Abbasi announced on Saturday that the country plans to construct two nuclear plants, the construction of one of which, with a capacity to produce 1,000 megawatts of power, will begin in Bushehr Province in the next Iranian calendar year that starts on March 21, 2013.

On requests by the International Atomic Energy Agency to inspect the Parchin military site, Abbasi said certain countries are exerting pressure on the agency to inspect the site, but “we have not been convinced yet” with reasons provided by the agency to visit the site.
Iran to construct two new nuclear power plants - Tehran Times

A SINGLE 1000mw pwr/phwr reactor?

seems odd as the chineese vary recently mastrred the 1000mw reactor tech

pak yet dnt have a single 300mw constructed despite that pak manufactured a indigenous 25mw in 70's

A SINGLE 1000mw pwr/phwr reactor?

seems odd as the chineese vary recently mastrred the 1000mw reactor tech

pak yet dnt have a single 300mw constructed despite that pak manufactured a indigenous 25mw in 70's
If I'm not wrong, the current 1000 MW reactor in Bushehr was part of a bigger project and there were supposed to be 3 reactors, each with a 1000 MW capacity, in the same location. That was scrapped and eventually only one was built. I guess now they're going back to the original plans.

As to who will build it, I'm gonna assume that it will be mostly Iranian, with Russian help. The current 1000 MW reactor in Bushehr took ages to build for many reasons. In the end, Iranian, German and Russian companies all had a go at it. Because of that, "the constituent parts also have different origins: 24% of the parts are German in origin, 36% are Iranian-made while 40% are Russian-made."

Iran can take care of the German parts so in total at least 2/3 of this thing can be produced locally. We're also making a heavy water reactor in ARAK (IR-40 reactor) and that should be a good practice for our experts. The Russians can take care of the rest.

The other reactor being talked about is probably the Darkhovin Nuclear Power Plant in Ahvaz (360 MW).

Congratulations Iran.. Nuclear Power is the cheapest resource of electricity and it is need of our time to go for it. But it must be made secure because when out of control, this is as much devastating as much it is beneficial when under control.

Bit off topic but in one of the "Alien Interviews" the idea of using earth's central heat as a source of energy was given and in my opinion this is the safest, inexhaustible and abundant resource of energy for us. So when perusing nuclear energy, some effort should be put in evaluating how to take benefit of earth's core energy which is available to every country for free.

K, so I wikid the current Bushehr reactor and it says the original plan was to have 4 reactors in Bushehr and 1 is now cancelled. With the sole reacor complete, 2 more are supposedly still go for construction.

The reactors will be the Russian VVER-1000/446.

Congratulations Iran.. Nuclear Power is the cheapest resource of electricity and it is need of our time to go for it. But it must be made secure because when out of control, this is as much devastating as much it is beneficial when under control.

Bit off topic but in one of the "Alien Interviews" the idea of using earth's central heat as a source of energy was given and in my opinion this is the safest, inexhaustible and abundant resource of energy for us. So when perusing nuclear energy, some effort should be put in evaluating how to take benefit of earth's core energy which is available to every country for free.

Actually the cheapest form of Electricity Production is Hydro or Hydel Production. Pakistan needs to complete its plans for Kalabagh Dam as well as build 6 more Nuclear plants and then it will have enough electricity to meet all its needs.

Actually the cheapest form of Electricity Production is Hydro or Hydel Production. Pakistan needs to complete its plans for Kalabagh Dam as well as build 6 more Nuclear plants and then it will have enough electricity to meet all its needs.
Unfortunately for Iran, we've mastered dam making but we're short on Rivers compared to Pakistan lol. Right now we're making the largest dam on the planet (315 meters). But even this gigantic dam can't make more than 1500MW of electricity.

How much are the Chinese 1000 MW reactors? Imagine having 5-6 of those in one location. I bet that would be cheaper than making the same amount of electricity from hydro.

Edit: here's another example. The Karun-4 dam cost 1.2 billion and produces only 1000 MW. The cost is very close to nuclear, but it's much more destructive to the environment.
To build this giant 230 meter dam, they probably had to destroy a lot of the environment and divert the river.
Karun4-dam-Chaharmahal-Bakhtiari-Iran2.jpg

but in pakistan we have lot of opportunities for making big and small dams in all provinces and also pakistan government building
nuclear reactor for electricity

but in pakistan we have lot of opportunities for making big and small dams in all provinces and also pakistan government building
nuclear reactor for electricity

Back
Top Bottom