What's new

Iran cuts Hamas funding over Syria

Pak-Americanos

Reaction score
Ghazi-Hamad_2578173b.jpg

The two former close allies have also ceased military cooperation, effectively ending a warm relationship that saw Tehran provide weapons, technical know-how and military training to Hamas fighters.

The rupture has been caused by Hamas's refusal to toe the Iranian line by supporting President Bashar al-Assad, whose Alawite regime is religiously loosely related to the Shia Islam practiced by Iran's ruling theocracy.

Hamas - which runs the Gaza Strip - has sided with its Sunni co-religionists trying to unseat Mr Assad, in common with other mainly Sunni countries like Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

Ghazi Hamad, Hamas's deputy foreign minister, described relations with Iran frankly as "bad" before adding: "Diplomatically, I have to use other words."

Asked about Iranian funding, he said: "I can say it is not like the past. I cannot give you the exact amount. For supporting the Syrian revolution, we lost very much.

"I cannot deny that since 2006 Iran supported Hamas with money and many [other] things. But the situation is not like the past. I cannot say that everything is normal."

He added: "I cannot say there is military cooperation."

While Hamas officials have previously said they would not retaliate on Iran's behalf if Israel attacked the Islamic Republic's nuclear facilities - citing disagreements over Syria - they have previously been coy about funding from a country that is Shia and non-Arab.

Iran gave Hamas an estimated £13-15 million a month after its victory in the 2006 Palestinian legislative elections - enough to cover its governing budget, said Dr Adnan Abu Amer, assistant professor of political science at Gaza City's Ummah University.

Tehran still sends a "tiny amount" to maintain ties and keep its much-trumpeted support of the Palestinian cause alive, he said. But relations have been all but severed.

Hamas' bureau in Tehran, just off the city's main boulevard and long treated as a de facto embassy, no longer has a permanent representative and is run by a skeleton staff.

"The Iranian support for Assad was the kiss of death to the relationship," said Dr Abu Amer, who is close to Hamas. "Hamas has lost from the disagreement financially and military and so far, no-one has replaced the Iranian support.

"Iran has lost its influence not only in Gaza but in Palestine as a whole and across the Arab world because it backed the Assad regime. Iran successfully presented itself after the 1979 Islamic Revolution as the champion of the poor and the oppressed and an opponent of imperialism and American influence. They have lost in two years what they gained in 30 and I think it won't be properly repaired."

Ahmed Yousef, an adviser to Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas' prime minister in Gaza, called Iran's support for Mr Assad "shocking" and accused it of acting out of "sectarian" motives.

"We never expected that a country like Iran, which talked about oppressed people and dictatorial regimes, would stand behind a dictator like Assad who is killing his own people," he said. "To us, it shakes the basis of the Islamic principles that Iran has recited all these years after the Islamic Revolution."

Iran cuts Hamas funding over Syria - Telegraph

$15-20m ... I am sure Jordan or Saudi will double that amount. So hard to believe the only donor to the Palestinian armed struggle was Iran .. This religious ummah nonsense is coming to an end faster than I had expected. Everyone with their own agenda, realististan is crushing disneyistan.

That's better, Iran will be cut out from our countries and live isolated and sanctioned until Iranians get rid of their terrorist regime.

$15-20m ... I am sure Jordan or Saudi will double that amount. So hard to believe the only donor to the Palestinian armed struggle was Iran .. This religious ummah nonsense is coming to an end faster than I had expected. Everyone with their own agenda, realististan is crushing disneyistan.

Jordan and Saudi can double that amount, but what they can't do is give those organization complex strategic advice and sophisticated weapons like long-range rockets and missiles.

Jordan and Saudi can double that amount, but what they can't do is give those organization complex strategic advice and sophisticated weapons like long-range rockets and missiles.

They cant be caught giving a dime to Hamas, and through hidden channels the concerned citizens that send money is a shot in the dark, lots of it get rerouted to other organizations and accounts. It is pretty over with Hamas from the looks of it. Winner Israel, how these guys win wars is definitely something to marvel, well I wouldn't call it a marvel when your enemy has the sense of a two year old and has much more invested in dying that living.

So it is safe to say Hamas is done. Imo this is good for Palestinians Hamas had run its course and was becoming a hindrance to the two state solution.

I am feeling sorry for of the influencial Islamic nations like SA and Iran. Both of you have potential,influence and money power to guide the Islamic world with modernity....Rather than that It is sad to say that both nations are against to each other....With my limited knowledge, I see neither SA and nor Iran has any record of state sponsered terrorism by itself...but it is true that SA plays its card with the help of Pakistan > Taliban and the same vein Iran plays its card through Syria>Hamas... So there is no point in blaming to each other...Because of this ideological struggle of your nations, countries like Syria and Pakistan impacted being pawn to your game....

So both nations need a sensible leadership to direct your energy towards assimilation of different ideologies rather than fighting with each other...

I am feeling sorry for of the influencial Islamic nations like SA and Iran. Both of you have potential,influence and money power to guide the Islamic world with modernity....Rather than that It is sad to say that both nations are against to each other....With my limited knowledge, I see neither SA and nor Iran has any record of state sponsered terrorism by itself...but it is true that SA plays its card with the help of Pakistan > Taliban and the same vein Iran plays its card through Syria>Hamas... So there is no point in blaming to each other...Because of this ideological struggle of your nations, countries like Syria and Pakistan impacted being pawn to your game....

So both nations need a sensible leadership to direct your energy towards assimilation of different ideologies rather than fighting with each other...

The creation of Taliban was extremely important for plenty of reasons. Now, if Taliban is willing to denounce terror and stop harboring terrorists and refrains from causing trouble, then they can come back in they wish.

Sunni-Shia war is the wet dream of the zionist that is slowly coming true......we destroy each other and when we reach the weakest point, the zionist come in and mop up.

2wdvg8w.jpg

Hamas is just another fighters-for-rent type of organization. Im sure turkey/saudia/other sunni opreated countries offered more bucks to them then iran and they went for the highest bidder.

Sunni-Shia war is the wet dream of the zionist that is slowly coming true......we destroy each other and when we reach the weakest point, the zionist come in and mop up.

I don't think it is a "zionist" (wet) dream. It is the dream of all peace loving peoples. A Sunni-Shia war would sop up Muslim violence in a way most beneficial to non-Muslims. Since Muslims seen so enamored of violence, please have at it with your own co-religionists. Spare the rest of us who only want to live and let live .....

I don't think it is a "zionist" (wet) dream. It is the dream of all peace loving peoples. A Sunni-Shia war would sop up Muslim violence in a way most beneficial to non-Muslims. Since Muslims seen so enamored of violence, please have at it with your own co-religionists. Spare the rest of us who only want to live and let live .....
this is one (i said one) evangelist point of view.

In Europe and most American i read, luck vast majority of people don't think like you.

The shia-sunni fight is non sense... the fight there is about something else.
The comments from this forum come from passion and hatred... hopefully people calm down.
It comes from strategy policy of countries .

As i said i find it very funny that myself being from mullah family i never heard bad about Arabs or sunnis.
And both sides are insulting each other badly here in the name of religion. Without being experts...
I met many times famous ayatollah of Iran and of course they never have the non sense discussions we can read here.
Some mullahs are stupid in Iran, especially since the religion became political.

I don't think most Iranians here think Asad is not a dictator .. so believe me vast majority of Iranians don't like him
BUT they don't like the fanatic fighting him too.

As said my Israeli friends about Syria :
"Asad is a dictator and we know what he can do and he understand what he won't do. But if Islamists come to power, the situation will be much harder for us"

A religious war is not beneficial even for USA. Only for fanatics anti Islam... maybe like you?

And by the way i hate this stupid policy anti zionist
zionism is a normal policy for Jews. we can criticize it and some actions in the past, but they needed to create the country to give land to the people who have been genocided almost everywhere on the planet.
But more important: Israel exists and we should respect it and stop it with this bullshit anti zionism propaganda...
because it doesn't help Palestinians and solving the problem of West Bank.. and the two states solution.
What is important is people live well together, not that we support an ideology.
Real muslims would understand this.

Why is Iran so disliked by Arabs while Turkey is not in comparison? Even though Turks ruled over the ME.

Back
Top Bottom