What's new

Investigators fail to decode arrested FBI agent's devices

MM_Haider

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Even after hours of arrest, investigators failed to decode information from the devices belonging to a Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) agent arrested at Jinnah International Airport in Karachi, Express News reported on Thursday.

FBI agent Joel Cox was travelling from Karachi to Islamabad by PK-308 on May 5 evening when, during a routine search by Airport Security Force (ASF) staff, 15 bullets and a magazinewere found in his bag. He was handed over to the airport police station where a case was lodged against him under Section 23 1(a) of the Sindh Arms Act, 2013. The district Malir court has already remanded the suspect to police custody till May 10.

According to the latest details, the police officers at the Artillery Maidan police station are finding it difficult to interrogate the FBI agent as he only speaks English. Also, Cox has been insisting that his embassy should be contacted for all the queries.

The detained FBI agent has been reportedly afforded VIP protocol and provided with fast food meals.

The devices seized from Cox’s possession include pen cameras and locator gadget. The bullets he was carrying are also said to be different than those found in Pakistan.

During the daily press briefing, spokesperson for the US State Department Jen Psaki said US officials were coordinating with the Pakistani authorities to resolve this matter.

“This individual detained is an employee of the FBI who was on a temporary duty assignment to provide routine assistance to the legal attache at the US mission. But we are coordinating closely to resolve this manner with authorities, and we are hopeful in that regard,” she said.

Investigators fail to decode arrested FBI agent’s devices – The Express Tribune

==============================================================================

Another Raymond Davis getting ready to make mockery of Pakistan's security and law!.. Where are those people who always rant that ISI is the top spy agency? Such a shame that his devices cannot be checked properly and a foreigner intrudes the country with weapons and nobody checked? check the excuse of difficulties in investigation... as he can only speak English.. so in our agencies there is not a single investigator who can speak English..

My head is hanging in shame!!

And i can bet u he will also be released with out any harm..

Another Raymond Davis getting ready to make mockery of Pakistan's security and law!.. Where are those people who always rant that ISI is the top spy agency?

Where did ISI come in from?

Pak police is useless & filled with politicians favorites. The arrest should had been made by Intel Agencies, I am sure Intel Agencies knew about him but why he was not arrested by them will remain a question.

wtf??? police is decoding? :lol::lol: our useless police can not even decode data from billi ... how it comes that they can decode it from this device.... kaheen mobile shop per device ka software refresh karwanay na lay gaen hooon :rofl:

if you know the job description of ISI, you won't be asking this question.
oh my dear, I think you are the one who needs to read the Job Description of ISI, and while you are at it, do me a favour and also look up the JD of IB and Special Branch

oh my dear, I think you are the one who needs to read the Job Description of ISI, and while you are at it, do me a favour and also look up the JD of IB and Special Branch

Balixd, During musharraf era, IB was grossly underfunded, Majority resources were given to CT-ISI Wing. Civilian Intel agencies were dependent on ISI for electronic interceptions. How do you expect Civil Intel to work in such conditions? IB just received it's web and communication interception equipments this year when Nawaz released funds to IB.

Balixd, During musharraf era, IB was grossly underfunded, Majority resources were given to CT-ISI Wing. Civilian Intel agencies were dependent on ISI for electronic interceptions. How do you expect Civil Intel to work in such conditions? IB just received it's web and communication interception equipments this year when Nawaz released funds to IB.
Well aware of it, and it was not just isi, allot of work was handed oveeto MI, as mushy did not trust IB.... But ever wonder why mushy did that???
IB is the premier agency of Pakistan when it comes to internal security but rather than using it to its full potential, our Democratically elected leaders had been using it for political gains, from ZAB to NS, so what good can you expect.... Am sure you know this too that in 92 BB made some appointments in IB on political basis, these included some senior bps17 officers but when NS came to power everyone was sacked...
Coming to the future then in 2008 PPP govt gave those guys their job back, but guess what, when NS came in 2013, people had to leave the office.... Says allot about professionalism of an Intelligence Agency.... Heck even today IB doesnt have the formal powers of arrest, is that mushy's fault too.....
Talking about SB, then you might have heard that our beloved CM is using SB in pindi to monitor the progress of Metro Bus, i mean wtf..... And prior to election last year CM had SB doing surveys for election... That is SB

Well aware of it, and it was not just isi, allot of work was handed oveeto MI, as mushy did not trust IB.... But ever wonder why mushy did that???
IB is the premier agency of Pakistan when it comes to internal security but rather than using it to its full potential, our Democratically elected leaders had been using it for political gains, from ZAB to NS, so what good can you expect.... Am sure you know this too that in 92 BB made some appointments in IB on political basis, these included some senior bps17 officers but when NS came to power everyone was sacked...
Coming to the future then in 2008 PPP govt gave those guys their job back, but guess what, when NS came in 2013, people had to leave the office.... Says allot about professionalism of an Intelligence Agency.... Heck even today IB doesnt have the formal powers of arrest, is that mushy's fault too.....

Talking about SB, then you might have heard that our beloved CM is using SB in pindi to monitor the progress of Metro Bus, i mean wtf..... And prior to election last year CM had SB doing surveys for election... That is SB

Who was DG IB in musharraf era? ;) Didn't musharraf did same with IB what his civilian counterparts did?

The fact is IB is mostly used to harass political opponents in 90's and was under utilized/funded in war on terror. Has it been used up to it's full potential it was same agency who exposed Night Jackal Op, or was driving force in 95 Karachi cleaning Op. What I read, IB did a marvellous Job. IB is good at wiretapping, Hamid mir tape recording is testament of that.

But I agree dark side of IB is political appointments has made it very corrupt. Be it Punjab provincial Gov destabilzation in 2010 or this

The Establishment Division has issued charge-sheet to three officials of National Counter Terrorism Authority (Nacta) for their alleged involvement in corruption, blackmailing and harassment, sources told Express investigation Cell (EIC).

Khyzer Hayat Nagra, who according to the inquiry report, was a motivating force to form the gang of his likeminded officials that subsequently turned Nacta into a rogue organisation, was sent back to his parent department – Intelligence Bureau (IB).

Charges of corruption: ED issues charge-sheet to Nacta officials - English-language media - Pakistan - South Asian Free Media Association

Sir jee SB gher ki Shararti laundi hai :D. I still laugh when it's Chief the retired colonel leaked a fake report on how LHC chief justice was going to be assassinated by PPP thugs and police raided his house afterwards in defence :D

However a relevant link on SB

Special Branch under a cloud over working : PAK TALIBANISATION

Up to 500 officials, from constables to the assistant sub-inspectors, have been recruited in the IB for the purpose.

The newly-inducted officials are now under training at Simli Dam in Islamabad. The force’s strength is now around 3,100 after fresh induction, which sources said, was much less than what was required to deal with acts of terrorism in KP, Balochistan, Fata and other parts of the country.

Informed sources said that intelligence role of the IB in the ongoing Karachi operation and the number of arrests made by the Karachi police and Rangers had also been acknowledged by the Capital City Police Officer Karachi and the Director General of Pakistan Rangers (Sindh) at a recent high-level meeting presided over by the prime minister in Karachi.

The sources further said that political use of IB had been discouraged and the IB would now act purely as a counter-terrorism and counter-intelligence agency.

They said that a number of reforms were in the pipeline and if implemented, these would restore the previous image of the IB which had been weakened by a supreme intelligence agency of the country after the 1999 military takeover.

IB updates list of most wanted criminals - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Capture.JPG

Under staffed, Under funded, That's why most people put responsibility on ISI. It has a whole dedicated wing to CT which must be as big as IB itself !

Last edited:
They returned him, as expected. This is nothing like the tragic previous incident that was mentioned. Certainly he was working with some level of the Pakistani government who knew he was there, which wasn't shared with local police (very common).

However, he should be in hot water at home. He should respect the laws of Pakistan or any host country while he is there. Counting on back-channels to free you is a waste of a favor, and erases what little image the US has in Pakistan.

i stopped spoon feeding to others long ago!.. help yourself bro.

Back
Top Bottom