What's new

Intolerance grows in the Maldives

samv

Reaction score
Intolerance grows in the Maldives

By Sudha Ramachandran

BANGALORE - The rising tide of religious intolerance in the Maldives is threatening the country's young democracy.

Monuments donated by Pakistan and Sri Lanka were vandalized last week as they were seen to be "idolatrous" and "irreligious".

Member-countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) donated monuments to mark the just-concluded 17th summit of the regional grouping that the Maldives hosted.

The monument gifted by Pakistan consisted of an image of its founder, Mohammed Ali Jinnah, and also featured figures, some of them drawn from seals belonging to the ancient Indus Valley Civilization. Historians have argued that these figures of animals and human beings point to early religion. The Sri Lankan monument was of a lion, the country's national symbol.

On the eve of the unveiling of the Pakistan monument, a mob reportedly led by the opposition Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM), the party of former president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, toppled the bust of Jinnah. A day later, the monument was set ablaze and the bust stolen. The Sri Lankan monument was found doused in oil with the face of the lion cut off.

Sources in the Maldivian government told Asia Times Online that the vandalization was driven by political motivations rather than religious beliefs. "This is the opposition's way of damping the success of the SAARC summit," a member of the ruling Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) said.

The PPM has hailed the vandals as "national heroes" and promised to "do everything" it can to secure the release of the two men arrested over the incidents.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Islamic Affairs has ordered the government to remove the monuments as they "breach the nation's law and religion". Islamic Affairs Minister Abdul Majeed Abdul Bari told the local media that the Pakistan monument was "illegal" as it "represented objects of worship of other religions".

Adhaalath Party president Sheikh Imran Abdulla told Minivan News that the monument "should not be kept on Maldivian soil for a single day" as "it conflicts with the constitution of the Maldives, the Religious Unity Act of 1994 and the regulations under the Act" as it depicted "objects of worship" that "denied the oneness of God".

Sunni Islam was declared the official state religion of the Maldives under the 1997 constitution. This was retained in the 2008 constitution. Article 9-d says that "a non-Muslim may not become a citizen of the Maldives". While the constitution allows non-Muslim foreigners to practice their religion privately, they are forbidden from propagating or encouraging Maldivians to practice any religion other than Islam.

The island nation in the Indian Ocean is formed by a double chain of 26 atolls has a population of about 314,000. It is the smallest Asian country in both population and land area. With an average ground level of 1.5 meters (4 foot 11 inches) above sea level, it is the planet's lowest country.

Although religion plays an important role in the daily lives of Maldivians, the kind of Islam practiced here has never been puritanical or rigid and it is suffused with local cultural practices. Faith in Islam has co-existed with belief in spirits and djinns. Traditionally, Maldivian women did not veil their faces or even cover their heads and men did not grow beards. That is now changing with a puritanical version of Islam taking root.

Religious conservatism has grown dramatically in recent years, as has intolerance. A small but vocal group of religious radicals espousing Wahhabi or Salafi Islam has campaigned for inclusion of sharia law punishments like flogging and amputation in the penal code, used intimidation to force women to veil themselves and declared listening to music as haram (forbidden).

Maldivians who are atheist, agnostic or profess the milder Sufi Islam have been hounded by radicals. In May last year, 37-year-old Mohamed Nazim, who professed in public to be non-Muslim, was threatened by the Islamic Foundation of the Maldives, a non-governmental organization.

Three days later, he went on television and asked for forgiveness. Two months later, 25-year-old Ismail Mohamed Didi, who admitted to being an atheist and had sought political asylum abroad, was found hanging at his workplace.

FULL REPORT >> Asia Times Online :: Intolerance grows in the Maldives

UN worried about religious intolerance in Maldives

Associated Press

2011-11-23 07:34 PM

An official says the U.N. human rights chief expressed concerned over rising religious intolerance in the Maldives and discussed other rights issues with its leaders.

Navi Pillay met President Mohammed Nasheed, opposition politicians and other officials on her visit to the island country. Her spokesman Rupert Colville described their talks Wednesday.

Maldives is a Muslim nation where practicing other religions is forbidden. Recently, two monuments given by other nations were vandalized for allegingly unIslamic images. A monument from Pakistan had a Buddha image and one from Sri Lanka had the image of a lion.

The government also recently closed a website run by a journalist from a minority sect.

Pillay also plans to visit Bali, Indonesia, for meetings on human rights in ASEAN countries.

UN worried about religious intolerance in Maldives - Taiwan News Online

You just have to go to one of their moderate newspaper minivannews.com. The comments they get for their articles are mind boggling. Literally everyone talks as if Islam is the only religion and every thing else is satan's creations. Can you believe its a 100% muslim country?

They wouldn't even allow religious symbols on tourists who come to their Islands. Recently an Indian teacher was deported because he had few religious hymns on his laptop.In other case, they thrown a teacher off the Island tied to a chair accusing him of proselytism because his students mistook '+' symbol to cross symbol of Christianity. All true stories.

If that isn't extremism, I don't know what is? Luckily for India, they need us for their security, otherwise it would have been a whole different story altogether.

I have been to Maldives sometime back and sadly, I must agree with this article. I have had a couple of annoying encounters in Maldives when I was there on a vacation.

Maldivians are so lost about their (our) own ancient culture and (our as well) ancient belief that they fantasize themselves as oil sheikhs, whereas they are technically at the mercy of nature almost on a normal daily basis.

This is apart from the mistreatment of fellow Muslims from Bangladesh who work there as expats. Wonder why religion factor does not come there to at least be kind to Muslims of other countries.

I have been to Maldives sometime back and sadly, I must agree with this article. I have had a couple of annoying encounters in Maldives when I was there on a vacation.

Maldivians are so lost about their (our) own ancient culture and (our as well) ancient belief that they fantasize themselves as oil sheikhs, whereas they are technically at the mercy of nature almost on a normal daily basis.

This is apart from the mistreatment of fellow Muslims from Bangladesh who work there as expats. Wonder why religion factor does not come there to at least be kind to Muslims of other countries.

Yes, they treat Bangladeshis as less than servants. Luckily Indian embassy takes care of Indian issues.

intolerance was already there in Maldives. i used to think that Maldives is same like Mauritius but when i got to read few things abt Maldives my perception changed. many Muslim countries are much better than Maldives.

intolerance was already there in Maldives. i used to think that Maldives is same like Mauritius but when i got to read few things abt Maldives my perception changed. many Muslim countries are much better than Maldives.

They fantasize themselves as some oil sheikhs despite the fact that their economy relies on others coming to their country. If it was a resource rich nation, that attitude is understandable. But with this position, such attitude is not at all good.

UN rights official urges Maldives to stop flogging women for having sex outside marriage

By Associated Press, Published: November 24

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — The U.N. human rights chief urged the Maldives on Thursday to end the “degrading” practice of flogging women found to have had sex outside marriage.

“This practice constitutes one of the most inhumane and degrading forms of violence against women, and should have no place in the legal framework of a democratic country,” U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay told Parliament.

“I strongly believe that a public debate is needed in Maldives on this issue of major concern,” she said calling for law reforms against discrimination against women.

She told reporters later that she discussed with Maldives officials how to end the practice.

“At the very least, pending more permanent changes in the law, it should be possible for the government and the judiciary to engineer a practical moratorium on flogging,” she said.

According to the law, 30 lashes are given to women found to have committed adultery. Court officials would not give numbers on how many women are flogged in the conservative Muslim nation, but the punishment is usually done in public.

Pillay also urged authorities to improve poor, exploitative conditions for migrant workers, especially those from Bangladesh.

“Migrant workers are often abused, exploited and cheated of their hard-earned income by traffickers and unscrupulous employers in the Maldives,” she said.

She added it was the state’s responsibility to protect workers who are vital to the tourism industry in the South Asian island nation known for picturesque beach resorts.

On her three-day visit to Maldives, Pillay has also expressed concern about rising religious intolerance. The country of 300,000 people forbids practicing religions other than Islam.

She now heads to Indonesia for meetings on human rights in Southeast Asian countries.

UN rights official urges Maldives to stop flogging women for having sex outside marriage - The Washington Post

Wow. This is very suprising.

Always imagined Maldives as a beach-party paradise island.

Would still love to chill at the beach though.

maldives.jpg

Maldives being a tourism economy, cannot afford such stunts. The people would be put in place if the tourists shun them.

LOL, the radicals are trying to veil the women by force, ban music etc. Dont they know if they do that there will be very few foreigners going to maldives.

Didnt know maldives was so bad:confused:

Maldivians protest against UN rights chief's comments on flogging

Ali Nafiz, Haveeru Online

0_132222578425112011155_news.JPG

0_132222576125112011152_news.JPG

Protestors gathered outside the United Nations Building here in Male this afternoon, condemning UN human rights chief's comments against flogging and the constitutional provision that requires every Maldivian to be a Muslim.

The protestors who carried signboards with angry slogans called authorities to arrest Navi Pillay who concluded her four-day visit to the island nation yesterday.

Protestors broke up for Sunset Prayer but vowed to continue their protest at 9pm at the Tsunami Monument area.

Pillay yesterday called on Maldivian authorities to remove the "discriminatory" constitutional provision that requires every citizen to be a Muslim.

"I would again urge a debate on that to open up the benefits of the constitution to all and to remove that discriminatory provision," she told reporters.

Earlier yesterday, she told parliamentarians that flogging is one of the most inhumane and degrading forms of violence against women and called for a much "needed" public debate in the Maldives on the issue.

Asked by journalists why she made her remarks about flogging when it violates the Maldivian constitution, Pillay said that "I don't believe you have a constitution" but quickly corrected her statement by saying that "you have a constitution" which "conforms many of the aspects to universally accepted human rights".

"And let me assure you that these human rights conform with the Islam," she said.

During her visit to the Maldives as part of a weeklong visit to Asia, Pillay met with President Mohamed Nasheed, opposition politicians and officials of the independent state bodies and the civil society and discussed issues related to human rights.

Pillay's visit is the first such visit to the Maldives by a UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

HaveeruOnline - Maldivians protest against UN rights chief's comments on flogging

Back
Top Bottom