What's new

INS Vikramaditya commissioned

Then why did CAG criticise that Vikramaditya would be a second hand warship with a limited life span and that it'll be 60 percent costlier than a new one???
Just curious.....

Then why did CAG criticise that Vikramaditya would be a second hand warship with a limited life span and that it'll be 60 percent costlier than a new one???
Just curious.....
All BS. It will have a life span of a minimum 30 years and maximum 40 years. Not bad..right? While cost is almost same as Vikrant(Vikramaditya cost also includes radars, Electronic warfare system etc while not sure about Vikrant).
“INS Vikramaditya will serve Navy for 30 years” - The Hindu

All BS. It will have a life span of a minimum 30 years and maximum 40 years. Not bad..right? While cost is almost same as Vikrant(Vikramaditya cost also includes radars, Electronic warfare system etc while not sure about Vikrant).
“INS Vikramaditya will serve Navy for 30 years” - The Hindu
Hmm...okayyy.
But it says that Vikramaditya doesnt have a close-in-weapon system (CIWS) or a missile defence.So how good/bad is the situation??
As far as i know this what the then Indian Navy Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sureesh Mehta had to say when he defended the price for the warship saying: "I can't comment on the CAG. But you all are defence analysts, can you get me an aircraft carrier for less than USD two billion? If you can, I am going to sign a cheque right now".
And it is a $2.35billion dollar deal.So does the modifications justify its price???

Last edited:
Hmm...okayyy.
But it says that Vikramaditya doesnt have a close-in-weapon system (CIWS) or a missile defence.So how good/bad is the situation??
As far as i know this what the then Indian Navy Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sureesh Mehta had to say when he defended the price for the warship saying: "I can't comment on the CAG. But you all are defence analysts, can you get me an aircraft carrier for less than USD two billion? If you can, I am going to sign a cheque right now".
And it is a $2.35billion dollar deal.So does the modifications justify its price???
2 things.
1. Ciws will be installed shortly(within 6 months) while Barak LR-SAM will take atleast 2 years to be installed.
2. Price escalations were definitely an issue with Vikramaditya but think about our indigenous IAC-1. as per initial reports Our own Vikrant will cost us $2.2 Billion(only carrier, no defence systems and fighters) while whole project(fighters, defence equipments, trails etc) will cost $5 Billions. So now a days no carrier will cost you below 2.5 billions.

Gotcha!!

But if price was not an issue,did India have better options is what i wanted to know.

How about going for A Queen Elizabeth class carriers or one of the French carrier offered By DCNS

Gotcha!!

But if price was not an issue,did India have better options is what i wanted to know.

India didnt have an option after their initial Air Defense Ship was not taking off due to stiff opposition from IAF and IN was hell bent upon realizing its dream of 3 carriers each for one command. Long story:lazy:

Back
Top Bottom