What's new

India's stingy definition of poverty irks critics

india's poverty line maybe 1/3 of the worldbank standard, but i believe people in india can live on around $20per/month? as living cost is very very low in india even in mumbai or new delhi``

Creating better education system is the solution for most of issues!

WELL education is vital sector and important but again its the mentality and other corresponding factors that are contributing to social issues and current degree education doesn't help

I thank Pakistani's about their concern towards Indian poor. Please keep up the pressure on us, and keep highlighting such news, so that our resolve to eradicate poverty gets a boost.

tut tut tut, stop denying REALITY, GoI would rather steal money then eradicate poverty! READ & UNDERSTAND what the article is saying - India does NOT even have a poverty line, it has a starvation line! Hundreds of millions of Indians can't even meet the $38 a month, which is the world bank poverty line!

india's poverty line maybe 1/3 of the worldbank standard, but i believe people in india can live on around $20per/month? as living cost is very very low in india even in mumbai or new delhi``

Cost of living in Villages is less .. might be, but not in the case of metropolitan cities. Last month i went to my village where i brought tomatoes for 3rs/kg and onion 6rs/kg where as in mumbai i had to spend 4 times more.

We have a similar Ben@zir Income Supp0rt Pr0g. They also give the statistics similar to that.

yeh and am witness to its distribution in my area on political basis and most of them are NOT Needy. tsk tsk tsk

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Cost of living in Villages is less .. might be, but not in the case of metropolitan cities. Last month i went to my village where i brought tomatoes for 3rs/kg and onion 6rs/kg where as in mumbai i had to spend 4 times more.

the veggies and all other commodities have same prices almost in villages and urban areas.

tut tut tut, stop denying REALITY, GoI would rather steal money then eradicate poverty! READ & UNDERSTAND what the article is saying - India does NOT even have a poverty line, it has a starvation line! Hundreds of millions of Indians can't even meet the $38 a month, which is the world bank poverty line!

Article says India has a poverty line but it doesn't matches the standard set by WB.

the veggies and all other commodities have same prices almost in villages and urban areas.

Might be the case in Pak, but here in India its pretty much what i have mentioned earlier.

Article says India has a poverty line but it doesn't matches the standard set by WB.

Nope, GoI says the poverty line is $12 for urban areas and $9 for rural areas per month. Local activists say this is a joke, it can only be classed as "starvation line". World bank global poverty line is $38 per month.

What about subsidies given by Govt to the poor like 20 kgs of rice per month for 2rs/kg.

BBC News - India aid programme 'beset by corruption' - World Bank

Attempts by the Indian government to combat poverty are not working, according to the World Bank.

The governing coalition spends billions of dollars - more than 2% of its gross domestic product - on helping the poor.

But a new World Bank report says aid programmes are beset by corruption, bad administration and under-payments.

As an example, the report cites grain: only 40% of grain handed out for the poor reaches its intended target.

It's good to see so many people talking about Poverty in India. India become 1.4 trillion $ Economy with CAGR 8%-10% in last decade with poverty still playing its card. Once Poverty will reduce by 50%-75% by 2025 which i am quite sure then India will become 3rd Largest Economy after U.S.A., China.

In Reality, Poverty is reducing day by day. and more Discussion and Highlight will able to resolve this issue. Many People helping India by raising this Issue. Thanks to All. :cheers:

“Life's real failure is when you do not realize your failure.” " India is Shinning and will Shine Across the Country Sooner than expected "

It's good to see so many people talking about Poverty in India. India become 1.4 trillion $ Economy with CAGR 8%-10% in last decade with poverty still playing its card. Once Poverty will reduce by 50%-75% by 2025 which i am quite sure then India will become 3rd Largest Economy after U.S.A., China.

In Reality, Poverty is reducing day by day. and more Discussion and Highlight will able to resolve this issue. Many People helping India by raising this Issue. Thanks to All. :cheers:

“Life's real failure is when you do not realize your failure.” " India is Shinning and will Shine Across the Country Sooner than expected "

If u say so:undecided:
Have u even bothered to read the article? It's date is 27/05/2011. Here is a paragraph from it!

Rights activists and some economists have slammed the commission, saying it should guide the government to set aside adequate resources to help the poor, and not merely set a poverty line so low that hundreds of millions are kept out of the social security net.

Nope, GoI says the poverty line is $12 for urban areas and $9 for rural areas per month. Local activists say this is a joke, it can only be classed as "starvation line". World bank global poverty line is $38 per month.

Activists have a habit of generalizing and exaggerative everything and especially you shouldn't believe the numbers provided by marxist like aruna roy, rickshaw vallas in villages don't work unless they are getting 10k per month. I have a chat once with a rickshaw driver in mumbai who said that he is earns 20k min per month and also boasted of having a software engineer wife. Planning commission has its calculations and prioritizing the distribution among the poorest of the poor is the matter of concern now.

Really, these numbers are farcical. I do not understand the logic. If the aim is to show lower poverty levels by lowering the poverty line, then these guys are just fooling themselves. Yes the very poor do get subsidies though much of it is stolen, but even with these subsidies, it is impossible to make ends meet. Rising food and fuel prices have made it worse. Poverty needs serious and sustained attention, cooking our books by stating laughable poverty lines will not solve anything.

Activists have a habit of generalizing and exaggerative everything and especially you shouldn't believe the numbers provided by marxist like aruna roy, rickshaw vallas in villages don't work unless they are getting 10k per month. I have a chat once with a rickshaw driver in mumbai who said that he is earns 20k min per month and also boasted of having a software engineer wife. Planning commission has its calculations and prioritizing the distribution among the poorest of the poor is the matter of concern now.

Obviously you are not talking of rickshaw wallahs. Maybe you are referring to auto rickshaw wallahs who live by cheating and overcharging customers. The figures of 10k or 20K do not apply to rickshaw wallahs in India.

Back
Top Bottom