What's new

India's Mary Kom wins fifth sucessive World Boxing Championship gold

Ruag

Reaction score
Mary Kom wins fifth sucessive World Boxing Championship gold

PANAJI: India's MC Mary Kom won her fifth World women's boxing title in Bridgetown ( Barbados) on Saturday. The Manipuri braveheart, who had won her four earlier titles in the 46kg category, this time won in the 48kg class beating her Romanian opponent Duta Seluta 16-6.

Mary had beaten the Romanian 22-7 in the 2006 World Championship final in New Delhi and 7-1 in the 2008 World Championship final in Ningbo City, China.

Earlier on Friday, Mary, who epitomises consistency, showed why she is one of the most outstanding boxers in women's boxing when she bounced back from a 0-1 first-round deficit to outclassing her Flilpino opponent Alice Appari 8-1 in the semifinals.

However, there was disappointment as well for India when Kavita (+81kg) settled for a bronze after being outclassed 2-14 by Ukraine's Kateryna Kuzhel in the semifinals.

Swift counter-punching and silken smooth footwork were Mary Kom's strengths as she played the waiting game to perfection. The Indian legend defended stoutly in the first two rounds to keep the scores level at 1-1. After that, she let loose a flurry of punches to stun Appari.

"I was not scared. All I did was closely watch her technique, as I did in the earlier rounds. Having got her measure, I started opening up, attacking with swift combo burts while ensuring I stayed out of harm's way. Also, I tightened my guard to keep her from scoring."

Leading with her powerful double rights, combined with a swift counter left hook, Mary Kom gradually dismantled her opponent's guard and was 5-1 up by the end of the third round.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ing-Championship-gold/articleshow/6581776.cms

From Saina Nehwal (Badminton), to Tejaswini Sawant (Shooting) to Sushil Kumar (Wrestling), to now Mary Kom. And the list of Indian sports-persons achieving great records keeps growing. And what is even more delightful is the fact that most of these achievers are women.

Mangte%20Chungneijang.JPG

mary-kom1.jpg

20090827203426659.jpg

:cheers:

Grats to Mary, but us east-asian looking fellows will never make it professionally unfortunately. We lack that brow-ridge and facial structure necessary to really take the punishment that Pro boxing dishes out.

Just look at Arturo Gatti (RIP) and how much trouble he had with cuts during fights.

Grats to Mary, but us east-asian looking fellows will never make it professionally unfortunately. We lack that brow-ridge and facial structure necessary to really take the punishment that Pro boxing dishes out.

Just look at Arturo Gatti (RIP) and how much trouble he had with cuts during fights.
but mate, she has won that 5th time...so no problem to her , i guess. :cheers:

i don't think i would agree with your point entirely. look at Manny pacquiao. he is one of the best pound for pound boxer in the world today. amir khan is not that bad either. it's just that us east asians do not get the kind of exposure, opertunity & able promoters compared to the boxers in europe or US. Just my openion!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think i would agree with your point entirely. look at Manny pacquiao. he is one of the best pound for pound boxer in the world today. amir khan is not that bad either. it's just that us east asians do not get the kind of exposure, opertunity & able promoters compared to the boxers in europe or US. Just my openion!!

East asians my friend... He is a truly great fighter (Mayweather is better though) but he filipino and SE asian, he's got a pretty heavy brow and doesn't seem to cut much near the eyes.

manny-pacquiao-pound-per-pound.jpg

East asians my friend... He is a truly great fighter (Mayweather is better though) but he filipino and SE asian, he's got a pretty heavy brow and doesn't seem to cut much near the eyes.

ok.. point noted.. let's just take the 'south' off & will only be left with 'east'.. lol.. but you would still find people with heavy brow even in east asian part.. if you are talking about india, then you will find that people from north eastern part have a propper physique to be a good boxer. short, stout, big neck with hard nosed facial feature.. it's just that they need propper guidence. amir khan is of pakistani origin with both of his parents from pakistan. do you think if he was born, brought up & living in pakistan he would be where he is today?? ofcourse physical feature does matter.. but you will also need opertunity & exposure!!

ok.. point noted.. let's just take the 'south' off & will only be left with 'east'.. lol.. but you would still find people with heavy brow even in east asian part.. if you are talking about india, then you will find that people from north eastern part have a propper physique to be a good boxer. short, stout, big neck with hard nosed facial feature.. it's just that they need propper guidence. amir khan is of pakistani origin with both of his parents from pakistan. do you think if he was born, brought up & living in pakistan he would be where he is today?? ofcourse physical feature does matter.. but you will also need opertunity & exposure!!

Oh no doubt but I'm just complaining because there is no way I can even think about becoming a pro-boxer because of 1) my facial features 2) lack of talent lol. :cry::cry:Was hoping to have my first amatuer fight but my coach just blew out his knee so that's postponed for god knows how long.

For me, she is like Roger Federer or Tiger Woods of women's boxing. An awesome performer with great consistency. Mary Kom, we are proud of you..

Back
Top Bottom