What's new

Indian PM says fight against Maoists is failing

EjazR

Reaction score
UPDATE 1-Indian PM says fight against Maoists is failing | Industries | Consumer Products & Retail | Reuters

By Krittivas Mukherjee

NEW DELHI, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told India's police chiefs on Tuesday that a campaign against Maoist rebels had failed to produce results and that rebel violence was on the rise in many states. Singh's comment is the clearest signal yet of the government's concern at a rebellion that has virtually put a vast swathe of the countryside rich in minerals out of official control, hurting potential business worth billions of dollars.

Though the economic impact of the rebellion remains limited, with the rebels largely operating out of jungle hideouts, the insurgency and the sense that it is worsening adds to risks for companies mulling investments.

"I would like to state frankly that we have not achieved as much success as we would have liked in containing this menace," Singh said, underscoring concern over what he has described as the biggest home-grown threat to India's internal security.

"It is a matter of concern that despite our efforts the level of violence in the affected states continues to rise."

The rebels have increased attacks on railways, power and telecommunication networks to halt economic development, Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram said.

In June, bauxite production at state-run National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) (NALU.BO: Quote, Profile, Research) in eastern Orissa state fell by 20 percent after an April attack by Maoists in one of their mines.

SUPPORT FOR MAOISTS ?

The Maoist rebellion began four decades ago championing the cause of poor peasants in the east, but has now spread to about 20 of India's 29 states, with the rebels targetting police and government property in hit-and-run attacks.

India's cities and bigger towns are largely free of the violence, but Singh warned that the rebels had managed to retain support among a cross section of society.

"Despite its sanguinary nature, the movement manages to retain the support of a section of the tribal communities and the poorest of the poor in many affected areas," he said.

"It has influence among certain sections of the civil society, the intelligentsia ... all this adds to the complexity of the problem."

India's campaign to subdue the rebels has been limited as police are often outnumbered and use outdated weapons against insurgents skilled in jungle warfare and well-equipped with rocket launchers, automatic rifles and explosives.

"As I have stated before dealing with left-wing extremism requires a nuanced strategy, a holistic approach," he said. "It can not be treated solely as a law and order problem." (Additional reporting by Bappa Majumdar; Editing by Alistair Scrutton and Ron Popeski)

UPDATE 1-Indian PM says fight against Maoists is failing | Industries | Consumer Products & Retail | Reuters

By Krittivas Mukherjee

NEW DELHI, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told India's police chiefs on Tuesday that a campaign against Maoist rebels had failed to produce results and that rebel violence was on the rise in many states. Singh's comment is the clearest signal yet of the government's concern at a rebellion that has virtually put a vast swathe of the countryside rich in minerals out of official control, hurting potential business worth billions of dollars.

Though the economic impact of the rebellion remains limited, with the rebels largely operating out of jungle hideouts, the insurgency and the sense that it is worsening adds to risks for companies mulling investments.

"I would like to state frankly that we have not achieved as much success as we would have liked in containing this menace," Singh said, underscoring concern over what he has described as the biggest home-grown threat to India's internal security.

"It is a matter of concern that despite our efforts the level of violence in the affected states continues to rise."

The rebels have increased attacks on railways, power and telecommunication networks to halt economic development, Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram said.

In June, bauxite production at state-run National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) (NALU.BO: Quote, Profile, Research) in eastern Orissa state fell by 20 percent after an April attack by Maoists in one of their mines.

SUPPORT FOR MAOISTS ?

The Maoist rebellion began four decades ago championing the cause of poor peasants in the east, but has now spread to about 20 of India's 29 states, with the rebels targetting police and government property in hit-and-run attacks.

India's cities and bigger towns are largely free of the violence, but Singh warned that the rebels had managed to retain support among a cross section of society.

"Despite its sanguinary nature, the movement manages to retain the support of a section of the tribal communities and the poorest of the poor in many affected areas," he said.

"It has influence among certain sections of the civil society, the intelligentsia ... all this adds to the complexity of the problem."

India's campaign to subdue the rebels has been limited as police are often outnumbered and use outdated weapons against insurgents skilled in jungle warfare and well-equipped with rocket launchers, automatic rifles and explosives.

"As I have stated before dealing with left-wing extremism requires a nuanced strategy, a holistic approach," he said. "It can not be treated solely as a law and order problem." (Additional reporting by Bappa Majumdar; Editing by Alistair Scrutton and Ron Popeski)

But Indians say thats a propaganda they are not operating in 20 out of 29 states in India :angel:

Sir big news. Please watch Times now news channel. First ever shocking video of china in which china training ULFA. sir its a shocker. Please also check news at 8pm to 10pm. Details of that video will be shown. Right now chinese army training ULFA how to use heavy weapons which are used in real big war.

Sir big news. Please watch Times now news channel. First ever shocking video of china in which china training ULFA. sir its a shocker. Please also check news at 8pm to 10pm. Details of that video will be shown. Right now chinese army training ULFA how to use heavy weapons which are used in real big war.

:what: Times Now is a war monger media out let.

What video ur taking about Post it...

Last edited:
are u taking about Post it...

Mam the news fully not broke out yet. They showing it as braking news. Once it get published on internet and the actual video on youtube then i will post it here. Mam its confirm now that china training ULFA. what's worries india is that ULFA been trained on war level with heavy weapons used only in war and only military has it. It also training to drop helicopter by shoulder launch missiles. Its very serious threat to india now mam.

:what: Times Now is a war monger media out let.

in a way yes mam. Times now even boils indian peoples blood by showing news in which it says pakistan done this and china done that while india on back foot. Mam times now the one even provoked india in war between indian cricket and australian cricket in which indian Bcci won. At that time times now boiled india's blood so much that we indians were eager to target all australians. Times now bit more patriotic mam.

What video ur taking about Post it...

Let me help you, I think he is talking about this one,

China-ULFA link exposed

NEW DELHI: Times Now has accessed details that shows how the Chinese are training ULFA terrorists in a number of camps.

While the Indian government has been very quick to reject reports of Chinese firing in Sikkim, of greater concern is an exclusive report by Times Now that blows the lid off a deadly Chinese game plan to sever the north east from the Indian mainland.

Times Now has learned after the deadly Kachen Rebels in Myanmar, China is now out to get the menacing ULFA on its side. The idea is to sever the northeast from the rest of India.

This comes after a series of reports of Chinese incursions on the north and north-eastern border of India and China in last one month.

The newly-appointed Consul General of China in Mumbai Wang Donghua today (on September 15) said, "India and China are not just neighbours, but are brothers too".

"We are not just neighbours, but brothers too. Both the countries are emerging superpowers and therefore, peace and development in the region will benefit them and the world," he said during a meeting with Maharashtra Governor S C Jamir at Raj Bhawan in south Mumbai.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/China-ULFA-link-exposed/articleshow/5015004.cms

Last edited by a moderator:

wow...that's a big surprise to me. I always have an impression that India being a democracy country it will never has such scale of social unrest. ..especially many Indian pointed out that comparing with India, social unrest in China is the biggest disadvantage to China and that's one of the most important reason why India will be a winner in the long run.
But now India is having not unrest but rebel already??? Compare social unrest with rebel which one you want to have if you have no choice but choose one?
And seems some Indian TV is already showing some video to prove that China is providing trainging to those rebellion forces...hmmm, if that's true I think PM Singh should told this to China instead of his police chiefs.

Let me help you, I think he is talking about this one,

China-ULFA link exposed

bichrM4254k[/media] - China training ULFA terrorists in Sikkim

NEW DELHI: Times Now has accessed details that shows how the Chinese are training ULFA terrorists in a number of camps.

While the Indian government has been very quick to reject reports of Chinese firing in Sikkim, of greater concern is an exclusive report by Times Now that blows the lid off a deadly Chinese game plan to sever the north east from the Indian mainland.

Times Now has learned after the deadly Kachen Rebels in Myanmar, China is now out to get the menacing ULFA on its side. The idea is to sever the northeast from the rest of India.

This comes after a series of reports of Chinese incursions on the north and north-eastern border of India and China in last one month.

The newly-appointed Consul General of China in Mumbai Wang Donghua today (on September 15) said, "India and China are not just neighbours, but are brothers too".

"We are not just neighbours, but brothers too. Both the countries are emerging superpowers and therefore, peace and development in the region will benefit them and the world," he said during a meeting with Maharashtra Governor S C Jamir at Raj Bhawan in south Mumbai.

China-ULFA link exposed - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Thank you so much sir for posting the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
in a way yes mam. Times now even boils indian peoples blood by showing news in which it says pakistan done this and china done that while india on back foot. Mam times now the one even provoked india in war between indian cricket and australian cricket in which indian Bcci won. At that time times now boiled india's blood so much that we indians were eager to target all australians. Times now bit more patriotic mam.

:) And if straining Indo-Chinese relations is patriotism for Times now then i will say :tup: keep it up.

I agree with your assesment about this channel as i have seen the war mongering bow bow of this channel

Back
Top Bottom