What's new

Indian Navy planning to procure 4 planes for airborne surveillance

sudhir007

Reaction score
Indian Navy planning to procure 4 planes for airborne surveillance - dnaindia.com

New Delhi: Looking to strengthen its surveillance capabilities and control over the maritime zone, the Indian Navy is planning to procure four aircraft carrier-based Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) planes.

"We are planning to procure four carrier-based AEW&C aircraft to carry out airborne surveillance, detection and tracking of airborne and surface contacts and control air interceptions and air strikes," Navy officials told PTI in New Delhi.

At present, the Navy operates the carrier-borne Kamov-31, which were procured from Russia for early warning roles.

Using AEW&C aircraft on aircraft carriers will help in expanding the area under surveillance near the area of their deployment, they added.

"The control over the area would also be increased as the AEW&C aircraft can detect enemy fighter and maritime patrol aircraft and direct the fighter planes attached with it towards them and take them out," officials said.

The aircraft can be used as command and control platforms, they said adding, "The aircraft should be capable of providing an integrated air and surface picture of the area under surveillance in adverse weather conditions."

The Navy wants the aircraft to be capable of Catapult Assisted Take Off But Arrested Recovery (CATOBAR) technique for the launch and recovery of aircraft.

Navy is in the process of finalising the design on the second indigenous aircraft carrier, which is likely to be similar to the American aircraft carriers, which use the CATOBAR technique for launch and recovery of aircraft.

The Russian aircraft carriers such as the Admiral Gorshkov are built for ski-jump take-offs and arrested landings of fighter aircraft.

The Navy also wants the aircraft to carry out patrolling and search and rescue roles.

Well this pretty much means , bigger larger meaner IAC2

Bigger ship , better systems, Better planes , more aircraft and more types of aircraft.

The Expand of Power on Indian Ocean Region, well going Indian Navy!!! Jai ho!!

:rofl:..Mr Xinix, I am sure you forgot to put 000 over there...I was laughing loud when I read it will be a 60 ton carrier:D

Navy is in the process of finalising the design on the second indigenous aircraft carrier, which is likely to be similar to the American aircraft carriers, which use the CATOBAR technique for launch and recovery of aircraft.

And here comes IAC2.....good that navy is almost finalising the Designing...iam sure they would have come to stage where they already have decided what propulsion system they would want. There is no news about this one going nuclear, so it will be turbines....and if turbines then Surely EMALS for CATOBAR ops...

But all can be speculations until full specs are out ossicially.

Last edited:
There is a rumour that IN is looking to acquire Queen Elizabeth class design for IAC2..can any one verify that??

There is a rumour that IN is looking to acquire Queen Elizabeth class design for IAC2..can any one verify that??
There were rumors, because UK was hit very hard by the financial crisis and had to cut the military budget, but nothing clear was reported. However, the fact that IN wants CATOBAR AEW aircrafts, nearly a decade before we could develop and build it on our own, is kind of strange indeed. IAC 2 will come only by 2018 if everything goes without problems and much will depend on Vikrant class production too (delays with that carrier, would hit IAC2 also).

What I also find interesting is the fact that IN already plans with a catapult systems, but if I'm not wrong there were no contract signed for such a system yet or?

congratulation in advance To all Indian

Indian Navy will soon "Blue Water Navy"

Back
Top Bottom