What's new

Indian muslim billionaire to give most of his wealth to charity

TechLahore

Reaction score
Wah Azeem sahib! Excellent work!

A little about Azeem Premji:

Azim Premji (Gujarati: અઝીમ પ્રેમજી) (born July 24, 1945), is an Indian business baron and philanthropist often known as Indian Bill Gates.[5] He is the Chairman of Wipro, one of the largest software companies in India. According to Forbes, he is currently the second richest Indian with a personal wealth of US$17 billion in 2010.[6] Azim Premji was rated the richest person in the country from 1999 to 2005 as per Forbes[7]. In 2000, he was voted among the 20 most powerful men in the world by Asiaweek. He was also among the 50 richest people in the world from 2001 to 2003 according to Forbes. In April 2004, he was rated among the 100 most influential people in the world by Time magazine. His assets include 74% of Wipro, the remaining 26% belonging to the cofounder of Wipro. Premji is now the chairman of Wipro.

Premji was born in Bombay (now Mumbai), India, to a Gujarati Khoja Shia Isna-ashari Muslim family. His father M. H. Premji owned the Western India Vegetable Product Company (which later became Wipro Ltd.) which made hydrogenated vegetable oils and fats.

The news:

Indian software exec pulls a Bill Gates
by Ina Fried

Wipro Chairman Azim Premji (right) chats with Stanford University's Rafiq Dossani at the 2006 Future in Review conference.
(Credit: Tom Krazit/CNET)
The storyline sounds familiar: software executive makes billions building his company, realizes that with wealth comes responsibility, and pledges the bulk of his fortune to charity.
But this time it's not Bill Gates. It's Azim Premji, the billionaire chairman of India's Wipro.
Premji, like Gates, has a big focus on education, using his foundation to improve teaching standards and fund schools that are trying new methods, according to a report on Forbes.com. Premji said he is trying to break with tradition in Asia, which holds that wealth is passed from generation to generation.
"Even if I was to give my children a small part of my wealth, it would be more than they can digest in many lifetimes," Premji told Forbes.
During his recent college tour, Bill Gates said he had been talking with many of the wealthy in India and China about the benefits of giving back.
"I'm hopeful," Gates said, as part of his talk at the University of California at Berkeley. "In fact, I've been having meetings with some of the people who have done very well in India and the people who have done very well in China."

Click on the image above to see CNET's complete coverage of Bill Gates' College Tour.
Gates noted that there is a fairly good philanthropic tradition in the U.S., but even here only about 20 percent of the biggest estates' money goes to charity.
"That 20 percent should be more like 50 or 60 percent," Gates said. But it's even less elsewhere.
"In India or China today it's very, very small and yet, because there's no tradition--it could go one direction or another," Gates said. "It's clear the best place to capture a fortune for philanthropy is in the generation it was first earned...If you don't get it right at the beginning, if you get this sort of dynastic thinking under way, then it is very difficult."
During her years at CNET News, Ina Fried has changed beats several times, changed genders once, and covered both of the Pirates of Silicon Valley. These days, most of her attention is focused on Microsoft. E-mail Ina.

Mr. Azeem Premji is the Richest Muslim in the world.

He have earned his money by his hard work and brain.

Well, I am sure if the royals of the ME properly disclosed their wealth they would be richer. But even if that were the case, I have zero respect for their wealth while I respect Azeem Premji greatly. He has now proven himself not only to be an intelligent, hard working and discIplined person, but also a good hearted man. The flashier Indian billionaires busy building the worlds largest house and posing in fortune magazine pool-side with their chests showing, could learn a thing or two from this humble, great man!

What a great man and what a thing to do.

But he is not the richest Muslim in the world. Ask me and I will disclose the list. ;)

Edit:

Premji is known for his modesty and frugality in spite of his wealth. He drives a Toyota Corolla and flies economy class, prefers to stay in company guest houses rather than luxury hotels and even served food on paper plates at a lunch honouring his son's wedding

Other billionaires should take note.

Last edited:
Premji is known for his modesty and frugality in spite of his wealth. He drives a Toyota Corolla and flies economy class, prefers to stay in company guest houses rather than luxury hotels and even served food on paper plates at a lunch honouring his son's wedding.:what::what:

Well things look very nice this way but he has earned this money by frugality and by exploiting his employees.

I have no respect for this man as I know how I myself was exploited when I was working for his company. Complete exploitation and nothing else.

Feel free to disagree.

Premji is known for his modesty and frugality in spite of his wealth. He drives a Toyota Corolla and flies economy class, prefers to stay in company guest houses rather than luxury hotels and even served food on paper plates at a lunch honouring his son's wedding.:what::what:

Well flying economy class is a PR stunt. Most of the time the airlines promote him to Business class free of cost as everyone knows him. So basically he flies 99% times on business class in economy price.

Well things look very nice this way but he has earned this money by frugality and by exploiting his employees.

I have no respect for this man as I know how I myself was exploited when I was working for his company. Complete exploitation and nothing else.

Feel free to disagree.

Unless you were reporting in to him, it's not clear whether some over zealous middle manager was mistreating you or whether it was Premjis fault. Were you reporting directly to him?

Feel free to disagree.

@KillBill:The Same was told by few friends from Bangalore's IT Corporations that includes prominent MNC's(You know 'em).... :D So ,recession time is the time to squeeze the last blood from the Employee by Employers and 16 hour continuous shift are so common there,I heard?

Unless you were reporting in to him, it's not clear whether some over zealous middle manager was mistreating you or whether it was Premjis fault. Were you reporting directly to him?

Nope I was not reporting to him, I was reporting to the one of the VPs, But I have shared the same meeting room with him and I can say that all he cares about is PROFIT. Though he has a very nice work ethics and he really knows to separate personal life from a professional life. But all in all, these stuffs are nothing but PR stunts. Dont get over carried away with it.

As they say charity begins at home, then before giving the money to other charities, dont you think the employees should be treated a bit better?

@KillBill:The Same was told by few friends from Bangalore's IT Corporations that includes prominent MNC's(You know 'em).... :D So ,recession time is the time to squeeze the last blood from the Employee by Employers and 16 hour continuous shift are so common there,I heard?

Well its not only the recession times, it has happened multiple times. The case of recession is known to many but I will cite another example, if you remember, 2 yrs back the value of dollar was going down fast and rupee was getting stronger. Most of these services companies, make profit out of weak rupees and the profit of his company WT was becoming marginal. That time he took a decision to ask employees to come to office on saturdays ( those who work in fixed price projects) without any extra benefits. But now when the dollar has become stronger why is he not revoking those decisions? Why employees need to work on saturdays without any extra benefits?

As I said before, these all are publicity stunts, he has made fortune out of exploiting employees and nothing else. He really doesn't care about employees' satisfaction, the policy is to let the dissatisfied ones go out, we will hire fresh people.

azim-premjis-son-to-head-wipro_technologies.jpg

Back
Top Bottom