What's new

Indian Foreign Affairs News & Discussions (non-US & Pakistan related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info skull,

Does this thorium based nuclear technology have any military military applications...??????

Hi beckham. Yes it can be used to produce weapons grade fuel. But India, has sufficient conventional Uranium fuel to make thousands of nuclear war heads and at the same time pursue a robust civilian nuclear program. Hence, we needn't adopt the complicated thorium based fuel cycle to make nuclear warheads. Thorium cycle for power generation makes more economic sense.

Pls read post 3 of this thread for more detailed info.

Monday, May 11, 2009

New Delhi: India and Kazakhstan are expected to sign a broad-based civil nuclear agreement by June under which the uranium-rich central Asian country will supply fuel and technology to New Delhi. India has sent a draft of the Inter Governmental Agreement for Cooperation in Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy to Kazakhstan for its perusal before the two sides ink the pact.

Kazakhstan will be the fourth country after the U.S., Russia and France with whom India will have such a broad-based civil nuclear agreement, since the Nuclear Suppliers Group lifted ban on New Delhi last September to have trade in this field.

“There is progress in preparation of the agreement on nuclear cooperation in peaceful uses. We are finishing up the agreement and will be sending it to Indian side,” Kazakhstan’s Ambassador Kairat Umarov said here. “Final touches are being given [to the text of the agreement] on our side. Soon we will pass it on to the Indian side for consideration.”

The Hindu : National : India-Kazakhstan nuclear deal by June

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

• India wants to have right to reprocess spent fuel to run its fast-breeder programme
  • Indian delegation was led by Vivek Katju

NEW DELHI: The Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) troika, led by its current chair Viktor Elbling of Germany, held a meeting with senior government officials here on Monday. This is the first India-NSG troika meeting since the NSG allowed New Delhi last year to enter the civil nuclear mainstream.

It took place against the backdrop of the NSG considering a total ban on the sale of enrichment and reprocessing equipment for non-Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) signatories.

This was not prohibited when the NSG exempted India, a non-NPT signatory, last year.

India is keen that no such conditionality should crop up, especially because it wants to have the right to reprocess spent fuel to run its fast-breeder programme, which could lead to the third stage in which it could use thorium.

India has 30 per cent of the world’s thorium reserves and only one per cent of the natural uranium.

Thorny issue

The issue of reprocessing of imported fuel, on which talks are scheduled to be held with the U.S. later this year, has become thorny after the Obama administration indicated that it would like India to sign the NPT.

Plutonium, which is extracted from reprocessing, can be used to make nuclear bombs and fuel the fast-breeder rector, which is a much more efficient consumer of nuclear fuel.

The Indian delegation was led by Special Secretary in the External Affairs Ministry Vivek Katju.

The NSG delegation included representatives from South Africa (the previous Chair of NSG) and Hungary (the next Chair). India has had meetings with the troika since 2004.

“The meeting was held in the context of the decision by the NSG in September 2008 enabling its members to engage in full civil nuclear cooperation with India.

Exchange of views

“The discussions were positive and forward looking and included an exchange of views on future cooperation in different areas,” said a Foreign Office news release. Official sources said that the meeting with the troika was confidential.

The Hindu : Front Page : India-NSG troika meet on reprocessing

As you call me optimistic, I hope there will be no war :agree:

Funny exchange though, I enjoyed it. May none of us eat dust & may we all prosper in future.

I agree, may none of us actually bite the dust and enjoy a healthy life. :tup:

Interesting topic. But Guys, do you know the damage an atomic bomb can make? Indians and Pakistanis, be mature! This is not a toy! I was astonished by one comment, "whether Th (Thorium) has any military application?" I guess he meant A-bomb. Another comment says, China will strike India in 2017. Guys, take a shower in Himalayan glaciers and cool off your heads.

One thing I can say that, any nuclear bomb in South Asia means, complete destruction of every country in that region. China may escape the nuclear fall out (if its bomb destroys India and India doesn't retaliate). Not by nuclear radiation, but by its after effects. You can see glaciers melt (it is already melting), expansion of Thar desert to the size of bigger than the size of Sahara. In Sahara, the human population is one of the lowest and one of the poorest regions. May be you guys will escape, but think about your coming generations- your children, their children....

Coming to the Th Based nuclear reactors- let's talk about the scientific side of this.

Th (for Thorium) is not fissile. So it cannot be used for making A-bombs. And so it is difficult to use as nuclear fuel. However, it is a very good neutron capture and changes to U(233) which is fissile.

There are a lot of advantages for Th based nuclear reactors (NR) than U based NR. Moreover, if I remember correctly, the nuclear wastes will be much easier to clean in Th based (correct me if I am wrong). So nuclear accidents like Chernobyl meltdown can be ruled out!.

For a nuclear reactor to run, the reactor should have some fissionable fuel like U(233, U235, U238). Most of the reactors around the world use U238. U235 is mostly used for bomb making and it is difficult to prepare/separate. Here is the politics of Iran's nuclear program comes. They say they want to build nuclear reactors. For that they need only U238 and little bit of U235. But they installed/made a lot of centrifuges to separate U235 from U238 to make more powerful bomb - enrichment program. So Iranian Govt is doing something fishy out there.

Another important use of Th based NRs (Nuclear Reactors)- the entire cycle of materials DO NOT produce any weapon grade materials.

BUT, there is a problem, big problem. Na (for Sodium) is highly reactive with water. So imagine a situation where the molten Na pass through a tube (non-reactive with Na) and accidentally one drop of water falls in molten Na. BHOOOM!.. which is almost equivalent to a small nuclear explosion, which can result in bigger nuclear explosion. Also, normal Na is reactive to many metals; so forget about the reaction between molten sodium with other metals. So a great care and a lot of scientific research is needed to avoid such situation.

Some countries have been using Sodium as coolant in Fast Breeder reactors for some time. There is a lot of technology required to use molten sodium in reactor - like non-reactive carrier/materials, sensors etc. So India has been running these type of reactors for some time means, they are really masters in this field. As of now, only India has an active Fast Breeder Reactor program. Their experimental reactor has been running for the last 15-20 years successfully!. France was the latest nation to shut down FBR. BTW, 2004 tsunami almost created a nuclear accident at Kalpakam, home of India's FBRs. But they saved!

China is building a 25/60MW experimental FBR. I guess it should be commissioned sometime in 2010. But they need to go a long way! Especially, considering the view that they are immature in Th based NRs. I am not sure whether they have any secretive FBR or Th based NRs. But I guess, there is no need of secrecy in FBRs, unlike nuclear weapons research. Any, positive results will be well appreciated by Nuclear world. Since there were not many significant research articles related to FBR or Th based NRs from China, I guess their research in these fields are in nascent levels. May be I am wrong, but atleast that is what is seen to nuclear research world.

But not many countries have tried liquid Na as coolant in Fast Breeder reactors. France, India and Japan are strong in FBR and use of Na as coolant. Recently France and Japan signed some agreements on future to involve in FBRs using Na as coolant. I think these FBRs are not based on Th based, though.

In this scenario, the nuclear agreements India signed with other countries such as US, France, Canada and Russia are really significant. But I think, those agreements are related to U-based nuclear reactors where India needs U from other countries for their reactors.

France is top in Nuclear Research. So any nuclear agreement between France and India on Th based and FBrs would be mutually beneficial to both the countries. Consider the cost of production of FBR is down to 1/3 of the present PHWR and FBR being more energy efficient, then future FBRs would be really good for human kind.

If India succeeds in Th Based NRs, then they can sell this technology to other nations and it can be rich. But I guess, it will take another 20 years at least. Good Luck India!

Interesting topic. But Guys, do you know the damage an atomic bomb can make? Indians and Pakistanis, be mature! This is not a toy! I was astonished by one comment, "whether Th (Thorium) has any military application?" I guess he meant A-bomb. Another comment says, China will strike India in 2017. Guys, take a shower in Himalayan glaciers and cool off your heads.

One thing I can say that, any nuclear bomb in South Asia means, complete destruction of every country in that region. China may escape the nuclear fall out (if its bomb destroys India and India doesn't retaliate). Not by nuclear radiation, but by its after effects. You can see glaciers melt (it is already melting), expansion of Thar desert to the size of bigger than the size of Sahara. In Sahara, the human population is one of the lowest and one of the poorest regions. May be you guys will escape, but think about your coming generations- your children, their children....

Absolutely spot on! But I wouldn't blame the members who raise such questions or make such irresponsible comments. In our part of the world people tend to associate nuclear tech only with A-Bombs and WMDs.

Hence, it was really refreshing to hear from someone who really understands the 'true potential of an atom'! I started this thread with an intention of educating the members on the same and show to them how an atom can change the lives of a billion people.

Coming to the Th Based nuclear reactors- let's talk about the scientific side of this.

Th (for Thorium) is not fissile. So it cannot be used for making A-bombs. And so it is difficult to use as nuclear fuel. However, it is a very good neutron capture and changes to U(233) which is fissile.

There are a lot of advantages for Th based nuclear reactors (NR) than U based NR. Moreover, if I remember correctly, the nuclear wastes will be much easier to clean in Th based (correct me if I am wrong). So nuclear accidents like Chernobyl meltdown can be ruled out!.

For a nuclear reactor to run, the reactor should have some fissionable fuel like U(233, U235, U238). Most of the reactors around the world use U238. U235 is mostly used for bomb making and it is difficult to prepare/separate. Here is the politics of Iran's nuclear program comes. They say they want to build nuclear reactors. For that they need only U238 and little bit of U235. But they installed/made a lot of centrifuges to separate U235 from U238 to make more powerful bomb - enrichment program. So Iranian Govt is doing something fishy out there.

Another important use of Th based NRs (Nuclear Reactors)- the entire cycle of materials DO NOT produce any weapon grade materials.

Again spot on! Just to add to what you said above:

Uranium-235 is the only fissionable material that is observed in usable amounts in nature. Thus pioneering nuclear physicist like Enrico Fermi and Eugene Wigner had no other choice of but to use U-235 to create their first chain reaction under the bleachers of the University of Chicago’s unused football field.

But Fermi and Wigner knew early on that once a reactor was built, it was possible to create other fissionable substances with the excess neutrons produced by a U-235 chain reaction. Thus if U-238 absorbed a neutron, it became the unstable U-239, which through a two stage nuclear process was transformed into plutonium-239. Plutonium-239 is very fissionable. The physicists also calculated that if thorium-232 was placed inside a reactor and bombarded with neutrons, it would be transformed into U-233. Their calculations also revealed that U-233 was not only fissionable, but had properties that made it in some respects a superior reactor fuel to U-235 and Pu-239.

During World War II, Fermi and Wigner, who were geniuses with active and far ranging minds, collected around themselves a group of brilliant scientists. Fermi, Wigner and their associates began to think about the potential uses of the new energy they were discovering--uses that would improve society rather than destroy it.

The capture of nuclear energy and its transformation into electrical energy became a central focus of discussions among early atomic scientists. They were not sure how long the uranium supply would last, so Fermi proposed that reactors be built that would breed plutonium from U-238. Wigner counted that thorium was several times as plentiful as uranium, and that it could produce an even better nuclear fuel than Pu-239.

The first nuclear era was dominated by uranium technology, a technology that was derived from military applications, and carried with it, rightly or wrongly, the taint of association with nuclear weapons. As it turned out, there was far more uranium available than Fermi or Wigner had originally feared, but other rationales propelled scientific interest in developing thorium fuel cycle reactors. First, Pu-239 was not a good fuel for most reactors. It failed to fission 1/3 of the time when it absorbed a neutron in a conventional Light Water Reactor (LWR). This led to the most difficult part of the problem of nuclear waste. Plutonium made excellent fuel for fast neutron reactors, but the fast neutron reactor that Fermi liked used dangerous liquid sodium as its coolant, and would pose a developmental challenge of enormous proportions.

BUT, there is a problem, big problem. Na (for Sodium) is highly reactive with water. So imagine a situation where the molten Na pass through a tube (non-reactive with Na) and accidentally one drop of water falls in molten Na. BHOOOM!.. which is almost equivalent to a small nuclear explosion, which can result in bigger nuclear explosion. Also, normal Na is reactive to many metals; so forget about the reaction between molten sodium with other metals. So a great care and a lot of scientific research is needed to avoid such situation.

Some countries have been using Sodium as coolant in Fast Breeder reactors for some time. There is a lot of technology required to use molten sodium in reactor - like non-reactive carrier/materials, sensors etc. So India has been running these type of reactors for some time means, they are really masters in this field. As of now, only India has an active Fast Breeder Reactor program. Their experimental reactor has been running for the last 15-20 years successfully!. France was the latest nation to shut down FBR. BTW, 2004 tsunami almost created a nuclear accident at Kalpakam, home of India's FBRs. But they saved!

India has mastered the liquid sodium usage and related technologies. We build our own sodium tanks, sodium pumps, associated safety valves, special materials etc. IGCAR has designed the PFBR. It will use plutonium-uranium oxide as fuel, and liquid sodium will be the coolant. Four more FBRs, of 500-MWe capacity each, are also going to be built by 2020. Beyond 2020, breeder reactors of 1,000-MWe capacity will come up and they would use metallic fuel.

But India doesn't possess sufficient amounts of sodium. This is where the nuclear deal comes in. Recently after signing of the nuke deal with the US and with France and Russia thereafter, we have managed to import about 175 tonnes of solid sodium from France.

China is building a 25/60MW experimental FBR. I guess it should be commissioned sometime in 2010. But they need to go a long way! Especially, considering the view that they are immature in Th based NRs. I am not sure whether they have any secretive FBR or Th based NRs. But I guess, there is no need of secrecy in FBRs, unlike nuclear weapons research. Any, positive results will be well appreciated by Nuclear world. Since there were not many significant research articles related to FBR or Th based NRs from China, I guess their research in these fields are in nascent levels. May be I am wrong, but atleast that is what is seen to nuclear research world.

China has sufficient amounts of conventional Uranium fuel to power her reactors. Moreover unlike India China doesn't possess vast reserves of Thorium. Hence, building Thorium based reactors is not a priority for China. Nevertheless, any breakthrough in FBR tech from any part of the world will be appreciated by the international community.

But not many countries have tried liquid Na as coolant in Fast Breeder reactors. France, India and Japan are strong in FBR and use of Na as coolant. Recently France and Japan signed some agreements on future to involve in FBRs using Na as coolant. I think these FBRs are not based on Th based, though.

In this scenario, the nuclear agreements India signed with other countries such as US, France, Canada and Russia are really significant. But I think, those agreements are related to U-based nuclear reactors where India needs U from other countries for their reactors.

France is top in Nuclear Research. So any nuclear agreement between France and India on Th based and FBrs would be mutually beneficial to both the countries. Consider the cost of production of FBR is down to 1/3 of the present PHWR and FBR being more energy efficient, then future FBRs would be really good for human kind.

The Nuke deal has considerably hastened the process of technology development for indigenous FBRs. Though the deal was for largely conventional uranium based reactors and fuels, it has several add on benefits for the indigenous program. This is primarily because, India does not have sufficient uranium to build enough thermal reactors to produce the plutonium needed for more FBRs of the Kalpakkam type.
This is the sole reason why India insists on getting the right to reprocess, which was eventually granted by means of the nuke deal. Apart, from this India can now import sodium from other countries too.

If India succeeds in Th Based NRs, then they can sell this technology to other nations and it can be rich. But I guess, it will take another 20 years at least. Good Luck India!

:tup:

I am not interested in WMD. Can somebody help me with the timeline for the french Areva reactor installation in India and how it will benefit the common man. Electricity generation is only a part of the benefit.. do we see some developments in Nuclear medicine?

I am not interested in WMD. Can somebody help me with the timeline for the french Areva reactor installation in India and how it will benefit the common man. Electricity generation is only a part of the benefit.. do we see some developments in Nuclear medicine?

As far as my knowledge goes, India signed a deal with Areva for about six reactors of the 'European Pressurized Reactors (EPR)' type. I vaguely remember a news that I read about a couple of months back where it said that we would be ordering about two this year and te remaining in the future. France has also assured uninterrupted fuel supply for the lifetime of the reactors. I am guessing that the cost of each reactor of EPR type could be about $5 Bil or more.

As far as medicine and food irradiation etc. go, various radio isotopes are needed for these purposes. Though some of these are bi products of nuclear fission, they need to be made in a controlled manner. Thus, special experimental reactors are built for these. They are mostly located in BARC, TIFR and many other labs across the country.

i am sorry ... i just wanted to know if thorium had any such applications !! i didnt mean that we should build nuclear weapons with thorium...

Friday, May 15, 2009

• Joint cooperation in uranium mining to be explored.

New Delhi, May 14: India’s efforts to develop an export market for the indigenous 220 MWe Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR) could take-off soon, with Kazakhstan possibly the first overseas market for Indian-made reactors.

Discussions between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) and the central Asian nation’s nuclear utility Kazatomprom are at an advanced stage and a feasibility study on using Indian PHWR designs is in the works for an unspecified number of nuclear reactors.

According to Government sources, while feelers have also been received from ASEAN countries, Kazakhstan is likely to be the first breakthrough.

Reactor sales

The possibility of reactor sales to Kazakhstan is likely to figure in the broad-based civil nuclear agreement currently under discussion between Indian and the uranium-rich country.

The agreement, which is likely to be signed once the new Government takes office at the Centre, is also expected to address the possibility of joint cooperation in uranium mining, deliveries of Kazakh natural uranium for the Indian nuclear industry, and personnel training.

India has been proactively exploring the possibility of exporting indigenous PHWRs to developing nations that are eyeing nuclear power generation but are constrained by small-sized electricity grids. India had earlier moved a resolution to enable export of indigenous reactors at the IAEA General Conference of Member States in Vienna in late 2007.

Export potential

With the opening up of international civil nuclear cooperation, which has technically cleared the decks for India to enter the global nuclear trade, the potential for export of indigenous reactors and services is being viewed as a viable commercial proposition, an official said.

“Currently, India is perhaps the only country to have an actively working technology, design and infrastructure for manufacture of small reactors with a unit capacity of 220 MWe. These units have a great potential for exports, particularly to nations with small grids that are planning nuclear forays with relatively lower investment levels,” an official said.

Globally, the major developers of nuclear reactors in the EU and North America have moved on to larger reactor sizes of 700 MWe or 1,000 MWe and above. India stands out in having an active nuclear power programme using 220 MWe reactors, which is based on proven technology in a number of domestic atomic stations. In all, 12 such 220 MWe PHWR reactors are in operation currently while three more are under construction.

Officials said small size nuclear reactors are apt for countries that have small grids of around 10,000 MW. Use of large reactor units in case of countries having small grids could potentially lead to grid failures if even a single large unit shuts down at any point in time.
Cost-effective

Besides, assembling clusters of 220 MWe reactors is projected to be more cost-effective than large-sized reactors from the US or Europe, officials said. Several Asean countries are reported to be eyeing the nuclear option, with Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand among those having announced plans to tap atomic energy in the future.

The Hindu Business Line : N-reactors: Kazakhstan likely to be first customer

India will begin construction of a third nuclear power plant, in collaboration with Russia, at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu by this year end, a top executive of the state-run Nuclear Power Corporation said here today.

The third unit at Kudankulam could be of a higher 1,200 MW capacity against the 1,000 MW each of unit I & II as scientists are evaluating a new reactor developed by Russia.

"We expect to start construction on Kudankulam III by end of this year or early 2010," Sudhinder Thakur, Executive Director (Corporate Planning), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) told reporters here.

Thakur said NPCIL will receive the techno-commercial proposal for Kudankulam III by middle of this year.

The agreement to build four more reactors at Kudankulam was signed during a recent visit of Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Anil Kakodkar to Russia.

Unit I and II at Kudankulam are at an "advanced stage" of completion and are expected to be commissioned this year.

Russia is building two 1,000 VVER reactors for the Kudankulam nuclear power plant and during President Dmitry Medvedev's New Delhi visit in December last year, the two countries agreed to build four more units.

Another official involved with the Kudankulam project said that NPCIL was evaluating a new design of VVER-type reactors of 1,200 MW capacity.

Construction of 3rd plant at Kudankulam to begin by year end

Mumbai May 26, 2009,

India's nuclear power reactors, which were running at only 40 per cent of their capacity, have now improved their generation with increased availability of uranium in the country.

The 12 reactors of Nuclear Power Corporation were now operating at 70 per cent of their capacity with improved production of uranium from Jaduguda and Turamdih mills in Jharkahand.

"The 12 Pressurised Heavy water Reactors of 220 Mw each are running at 70 per cent of their capacity due to improvement in the production of uranium from Jaduguda and Turamdih mills. They are currently producing 2,000 Mw," Department of Atomic Energy sources said here.

However, Rajasthan Atomic Power Station (RAPS) unit 2 and Narora Atomic Power Station (NAPS) units 1 and 2 are not operating and waiting for fuel. Tarapur Atomic Power Plant's units 1 and 2, which are boiling water plants with imported uranium are running at full capacity of 180 Mw each.

The two mines in Jharkhand have gradually increased production during the last few months and "we hope to get more fuel by the end of this year to run all the plants at full capacity", the sources said.

India's nuclear plants improve power generation

India, Canada to finalise nuke agreement soon: Gavai

Toronto (PTI): India and Canada will soon finalise the civilian nuclear cooperation agreement that will pave the way for new opportunities for both the countries, a senior Indian diplomat has said.

"Both the countries have already exchanged the draft agreement. An expert Canadian team was in Mumbai last week to workout, with the Atomic Energy Commission of India, final technical details and conditions under which business can be done," S M Gavai, Indian High Commissioner to Canada said.

Mr. Gavai, commending Canada's efforts to sign a nuclear pact with India, said: "We want to make sure that the proposed Canada-India nuclear agreement is equitable and non-discriminatory and both the countries work on the same wavelength."

"Canadian firms, including federally-owned Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd, Cameco Corp and SNC-Lavalin are eager to forge joint ventures or work with Indian firms to help build billion-dollar nuclear reactors and supply uranium," Mr. Gavai said.

He added that India is in favour of early implementation of Canada-India Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement and stressed on the need for facilitating greater engagement between small and medium enterprises of the two countries.

June 03, 2009

The Indo-US nuclear deal and India's subsequent entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), ending 34 years of nuclear isolation, has thrown open business opportunities worth an estimated $100 billion by the year 2032.

The country is planning to increase its nuclear power generation by about 60,000 mega watts (Mw) within the next 25 years.

This planned capacity addition is being executed by the state-owned Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL). Its head, Chairman and Managing Director SK Jain, tells P B Jayakumar about his plans and expectations.

Excerpts:

Do you think India's nuclear energy ambitions will gain momentum, now that the Dr Manmohan Singh-led government is back in power and that, too, without the Left parties which opposed the nuclear deal?

Yes, I hope the new government will be able to continue the good work done in the past few years on nuclear co-operation with the international community. I think our planned programmes will gain momentum with the new government back in power.

In the past few months, a lot of discussions on our civil nuclear programme have taken place. When can we expect some real action?

A lot of action happened in the past and leading Indian suppliers, like Larsen & Toubro (L&T), Bharat Forge and the like, entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with various vendors with a long-term plan. We also held discussions with (global) players like Areva, White Westinghouse, GE and Rosatom.

We expect commercial bids from players such as Areva within a month or two. We are yet to finalise the technology and partners and that process may take about six-eight months, including the techno-commercial bidding. I wish the construction work on some of the units would start by the end of next year.

Which projects have been planned for the immediate future?

Six new units with a capacity of over 3,000 Mw are under various stages of construction. These include the first two units of Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu (2X1000 Mw) with Russian technology, at Rawatbhata station in Rajasthan (2X220 Mw) and one unit at Kaiga in Karnataka.

Our plan is to add 10,000 Mw capacity during the next five-year plan. This may include the next two units of Kudankulam and the initial phase of the nuclear power park planned at Jaithapur in Maharashtra. In the case of the first unit at Kudankulam, coal connection will be completed by July, followed by reactor hot commissioning and fuel loading. The reactor will be ready for operation by the end of the year. The second reactor should take off six months after that.

Fuel availability was an issue for the nuclear reactors of NPCIL. How will you ensure availability of fuel for the new reactors and the existing ones?

Since 2000, we had realised the availability of fuel may be an issue in the future. We had discovered new mining sources in Jharkhand, Arunachal Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh and efforts were started to develop the mines.

Some of the plants under construction were completed early and, in the last few years, we had issues with the Jaduguda and Turamid fuel processing mills in Jharkhand. But, with the opening up of new mines and commissioning of the new processing mill at Turamid, the production-supply mismatch has been resolved and the situation will improve in the future as well.

In the case of new projects, we have conveyed to vendors that the deal will be based on a lifetime fuel supply assurance for reactors (about 60 years) at multiple locations.

You are planning over 10,000 Mw capacity addition. How will you fund the projects?

NPCIL is a cash-rich company with a surplus of over Rs 12,000 crore. This is adequate for the equity portion of our projects. Banks are willing to fund our projects and raising of funds is not an issue for NPCIL.

'India's nuclear programmes will gain momentum' Rediff Stocks

Yes this is xtremely correct. US also tried to eke out this technology from india but failed. I think 21st century is of india in which it will see its heights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom