Indian Expert: Pakistan 'expanding nuclear arsenal to deter US attack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan is expanding its nuclear arsenal to deter an American attack on its status as an atomic power, according to India's former foreign secretary.

Asia's triangular arms race has traditionally reflected the rivalries between India and China and India and Pakistan, but according to an influential former adviser to Manmohan Singh, the Indian prime minister, Pakistan now regards the United States as a potential threat.

In an article for The Hindu newspaper, Shyam Saran said Islamabad had invested in a new generation of plutonium-based warheads, increased the size range of its arsenal, and improved the accuracy of its missiles.

Washington has voiced its concerns over the build-up in the region but believes it reflects Pakistan's long-standing fear of arch rival India's conventional force superiority.

But according to Mr Saran, Islamabad's burgeoning nuclear arsenal is increasingly aimed at deterring its fractious ally in the war on terror, the United States. Its fear that Washington may strike to wipe out Pakistan's nuclear capability dates back to just after the 9/11 attacks when then President Musharraf said it had been warned to support the war on terror or face being "bombed back to the stone age."

Despite his acquiescence, relations between the two countries have been strained ever since and reached their lowest point following the 2011 special forces raid which killed Osama bin Laden at his home in the centre of Pakistan's main garrison town Abbotabad.

"While the immediate threat to its strategic assets passed, Pakistan's suspicions of US intentions in this regard have now risen to the level of paranoia," Mr Saran said.

His comments follow the latest in a series of missile tests last week when the Pakistan Army confirmed it had fired a nuclear-capable Hatf-V medium range missile capable of hitting Indian cities as far east as Bangalore.

Lieutenant-General Talat Masood, a retired senior Pakistan Army commander and nuclear expert, said Mr Saran's claims had some truth in them. "I would not say it [Pakistan's growing nuclear capability] was meant to counter America – that would be suicidal. But there has always been a fear in Pakistan's strategic community and government, in the recent past, a feeling that America is unfavourably inclined towards our nuclear programme and if things got worse it could neutralise our nuclear weapons capability, go after them," he said.

The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute voiced its concerns about the nuclear weapon build-up earlier this year after India developed a nuclear submarine and Pakistan unveiled a series of short range missiles.

Pakistan is believed to have more nuclear warheads than India – 110 to 100 – and Washington remains concerned about the security of its nuclear bases.
Pakistan 'expanding nuclear arsenal to deter US attack' - Telegraph

Don't know why but i can sense it too, that in comings years the situation will get worse and series of events may lead to such dramatic situation.

I see U.S. Shivering and turning cold now .

Before you reach your intense moment, let me tell you it is said by India's former foreign secretary and is full of BS

So what did i say wrong :D . I agreed with the Article and Trust me not everyone is like you that they will reach "intense moment" reading something online .

Before you reach your intense moment, let me tell you it is said by India's former foreign secretary and is full of BS

It doesn't matter who says as long as its true....
are you telling me Americans are not going to be your enemy in future.....Remember ISI top enemy list would be US than India

It doesn't matter who says as long as its true....
are you telling me Americans are not going to be your enemy in future.....Remember ISI top enemy list would be US than India

You are basing this on what exactly??

i wonder why any country needs 100 s of nuclear bombs...20 or 200 would be the same...

I think he is basing that on the fox news interview with that clown afridi who is desperate to be released.

I never seen that interview but you know the real truth.....Pakistan is just a card for US and the worst thing is Americans are not fighting the war against Terror but the war against religion indirectly, most of the Americans see Muslim countries as enemies don't deny that so do the American Government.... turning one Mulim country country against another is the game plane and its working fantastically....... May be either of Pak and US Goverment don't show outside but the heat is on... but Pakistani public don't realize anything. they think China and Americans are friens of them, But tell me what did china or US helped you when there were wars with India... Nothing>> when have ever your American friend sold you their best weapons... Even you call china all weather friend but you see just yesterday they Omitted Pakistan from free visa to enter their country even though their worst enemy Japan and US get to go to china single or group anytime they want..... Now even US blocked your country many times in getting best weapons from other countries,.... even now they fined Chinese for reselling an old Nuke plant and almost every week there's a strike inside pakistan by US against the will of Pakistan and what could Pak can do about it...

Realize one thing Americans will be the enemies of all the muslim states... thats the fact, i don't care whether you both guys accept with me or not....

I never seen that interview but you know the real truth.....Pakistan is just a card for US and the worst thing is Americans are not fighting the war against Terror but the war against religion indirectly, most of the Americans see Muslim countries as enemies don't deny that so do the American Government.... turning one Mulim country country against another is the game plane and its working fantastically....... May be either of Pak and US Goverment don't show outside but the heat is on... but Pakistani public don't realize anything. they think China and Americans are friens of them, But tell me what did china or US helped you when there were wars with India... Nothing>> when have ever your American friend sold you their best weapons... Even you call china all weather friend but you see just yesterday they Omitted Pakistan from free visa to enter their country even though their worst enemy Japan and US get to go to china single or group anytime they want..... Now even US blocked your country many times in getting best weapons from other countries,.... even now they fined Chinese for reselling an old Nuke plant and almost every week there's a strike inside pakistan by US against the will of Pakistan and what could Pak can do about it...

Realize one thing Americans will be the enemies of all the muslim states... thats the fact, i don't care whether you both guys accept with me or not....
not just muslim bro...u.s works on its own interests ..and every country does..but using one country against other is not good...why does tensions always rise b/w asian neighbours only???not western

...and this is my 100th post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom