What's new

Indian Civilians Challenge Security Forces

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

In India’s remote north east, civilians challenge rape, killing by security forces

IMPHAL, India — Tens of thousands of Indian troops are deployed to these remote borderlands, their mission to fight a decades-long armed separatist rebellion.

But for years, residents here have alleged that security forces have also waged a separate war of rape and murder of civilians, one they continue with impunity because federal law virtually prohibits the prosecution of soldiers in conflict zones.

Now, 1,500 miles away in the capital of New Delhi, there is a new demand to change that. A committee established last month in the wake of mass protests over a gruesome gang rape recommended that the law be reexamined. At the very least, the Justice Verma Committee said, soldiers accused of rape should be tried under civilian law.

But the government has dragged its feet. Although it implemented many of the committee’s suggestions for new protections for women in an emergency ordinance passed this month, the recommendation to curb the armed forces’ immunity was set aside. The government said it was reluctant to tell the army what to do.

While the New Delhi protests prompted India to reexamine its treatment of women, the debate over soldiers’ immunity — and the dark history in the border region — have underscored the limits of the power of India’s democracy to effect change when it comes up against entrenched vested interests such as the army, a supposedly apolitical institution that wields significant influence.

“We can’t move forward because there is no consensus,” Finance Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram said in a recent speech on national security, according to local media reports.

Referring to the immunity law by its full name, the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, or AFSPA, Chidambaram continued: “The present and former army chiefs have taken a strong position that the act should not be amended. . . . How does the government move forward . . . to make the AFSPA a more humanitarian law?”

The Defense Ministry declined to comment.

Here in the state of Manipur, where a local human rights group has documented 1,528 alleged extrajudicial executions and many cases of rape and sexual assault carried out by the police and army in the past three decades, the stalling of momentum has caused little surprise.

In 2004, soldiers arrested 32-year-old Thangjam Manorama Devi in the early morning, then left her bruised and bullet-ridden body by the roadside a few hours later. Police forensics experts concluded that she had been tortured and shot at close range while lying down. They also found evidence that she might have been raped.

For months afterward, the tiny hill state on the border with Burma erupted in protest. A group of women made national headlines when they stripped naked in front of an army barracks and held up a large banner that read “Indian army rape us.”

But the Manipur incident changed nothing.

For eight years, the Indian government has blocked the release of a judicial investigation into Manorama’s death, fighting a long legal battle that has now reached the Supreme Court, nor has it made any move to prosecute those responsible.

A committee that was formed to review the AFSPA concluded in 2005 that it should be repealed. But its findings were never officially released — although they were eventually leaked — nor were they implemented.

Meenakshi Ganguly of Human Rights Watch, a watchdog group, said the pressure the army is bringing to bear on the government over the issue is “extremely worrying in a democracy.” Others, including Sanjoy Hazarika, a member of the 2005 commission that demanded the law be repealed, say the government is equally to blame.

Manipur, with a population of little more than 2 million, is tiny by Indian standards, and the country’s economic development of the past two decades has largely passed it by. Most of its residents are Hindus but are of Tibet-Burman origin and are thought to look more Burmese than Indian; they feel their countrymen look down on them. An armed separatist rebellion began here in the 1960s and has led to about 20,000 deaths.

For 12 years, a Manipuri woman, Irom Sharmila, has been on a hunger strike against the armed forces act. Having been convicted in court of intent to take her own life, she is under police guard in a hospital and force-fed through her nose.

Last week, Sharmila, 40, emerged from the hospital for a biweekly appearance in court, and, in an interview outside the courtroom, while being flanked by two female police officers, Sharmila said she was not optimistic that the government would relent any time soon.

The formation of committees is a tactic to deflect public anger, she said in halting English, and the people of Manipur are not given the respect accorded to other Indians.

“They treat us like stepchildren,” she said before police whisked her away.

Across town, 37-year-old Neena Ningombam has cared for her two children alone since her husband was taken away by police in November 2008. A few hours later his body, with a hand grenade planted next to it, was shown on television, supposedly that of a rebel killed after attacking the police.

In one sense, Ningombam is lucky. Witnesses saw her husband being arrested, and they have not been intimidated into silence. A local magistrate who investigated the case found that her husband had never been involved in a militant group and that he was killed in what is known here as a “fake encounter.”

Babloo Loitongbam of Human Rights Alert, a local rights group that has documented the alleged rapes and extrajudicial executions, said members of the security forces who kill militants are rewarded with cash, medals and promotions.

“An incentive structure has created vested interests in the army and police just to kill people on the flimsiest charges,” he said, “while the judicial process has completely failed.”

With Loitongbam’s help, the widows of Manipur are fighting back. Responding to a petition they have filed, the Supreme Court appointed a respected three-
person team last month to look into the alleged extrajudicial executions. Yet another committee of inquiry, it could nevertheless put more pressure on the government to roll back what residents describe as a cloak of impunity shrouding events in Manipur.

Like the other widows of Manipur, Ningombam continues her legal battle to clear her husband’s name.

In an opinion piece last week, Hazarika, the member of the 2005 commission and an expert on northeastern India, called the law an “abomination.”

“How many more deaths, how many more naked protests, how many more hunger strikes, how many more committees, how many more editorials and articles and broadcasts before AFSPA goes?” he asked.

In India’s remote northeast, civilians challenge rape, killing by security forces. - The Washington Post

What are your thoughts about this @Windjammer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Worry about Hazaras who are openly critisizing PA and ISI for killings happening to them, Indians in NE are far better than the minority sects in Paksiatan.

You don't acknowledge your self inefficiencies and short falls but try to see others in a microscope and feel better about it. BRAVO for this kind of attitude :tup:

War Crimes do happen in regions where conflict goes on for decades. Soldiers crosses lines after years of posting there. This has been used by terrorists as they keep the conflict to extend to years and decades and war crimes occur like it did in Vietnam, WW 2 , Nanking, Bosnia, East Pakistan, Kashmir,vetc.

Most of the cases are of extremists who commit these crimes to increase resentment among villagers and tribals against Security forces by framing them.

Rumors and false information propagation is often done in creating such issues to internationalize the issue and put pressure on the state.

Like ULFA, those who surrender are called SULFA who takes money from people for protection from ULFA.

Thing is West especially the news papers often ignore the other side of the story to sensationalize the story.

Same is case with Human Rights Watch report and Amnesty International. We will never know what happened in these cases.

BTW Indian Army has tried and court martial many of its soldiers on charges of War Crimes. Resentment among security forces is that whenever they kill terrorists, HR people come crying HR of terrorists, but they don't do the same for soldiers.

This happened in Kashmir and NE. First thing one has to do is alienate people from the Army and increase resentment.

Hope our people from neighborhood remember these cases against their own Army.

Worry about Hazaras who are openly critisizing PA and ISI for killings happening to them, Indians in NE are far better than the minority sects in Paksiatan.

You don't acknowledge your self inefficiencies and short falls but try to see others in a microscope and feel better about it. BRAVO for this kind of attitude :tup:

Bravo indeed for dragging in Pakistan into an Indian problem..... a reminder is in place that the story is carried out in The Washington Post, which is not exactly a Pakistani mouth piece.

As for Pakistani issues, your country fellows open more threads than they have had hot dinners....better to stay focused on the topic. !!

BTW @Windjammer I think you forgot to read the rules. You are not allowed to post news on Indian issues. :enjoy:

Well I give you that. Indians do open threads on Pakistan. No problemo. But since you opened the thread, I would like to hear your views.

Bravo indeed for dragging in Pakistan into an Indian problem..... a reminder is in place that the story is carried out in The Washington Post, which is not exactly a Pakistani mouth piece.

As for Pakistani issues, your country fellows open more threads than they have had hot dinners....better to stay focused on the topic. !!

The bolded part is since this forum rules, Indian social issues are not allowed to post here, where as Pakistani social issues are .

Military operation do have short falls You can write a book of the length of BIBLE about the crimes done by Successive Washington Regimes.

This type of articles do appear in news papers when talks are going on between two parties to get some leverage and arm twisting.

GOI will not give a Damn to what Newyork times and Washington post writes about us.

You see In olden days there are kings flatterers in Kings court employed to just boost up the ego of the King "exaggerating what the king does and diminishing the deeds of others or kings enemies"

These two news papers comes under this category, See the recent statements appeared about India in these two news papers during the happening of Walmart Deal you will understand.

And then there is FOX News which is nothing but a science fiction Novel :lol:

At least our court is not discussing human right voilation like pakistan supreme court is doing that in case of balouchistan.

BTW @Windjammer I think you forgot to read the rules. You are not allowed to post news on Indian issues. :enjoy:

Well I give you that. Indians do open threads on Pakistan. No problemo. But since you opened the thread, I would like to hear your views.
@ KRAIT
Actually, the solution has represented it'self....next time an Indian opens a thread on Pakistan, i will very conveniently drag in all about India into it....I'm sure you will agree to it being justified. :cheers:

I remember just two or three days ago a guy who is actually Indian opened a thread "Bomb blast in quetta killed 80 hazaras" Now if you can do this then so do we.

Im in a favor that other nationalities should not open such threads like rape , bomb blast .

I remember just two or three days ago a guy who is actually Indian opened a thread "Bomb blast in quetta killed 80 hazaras" Now if you can do this then so do we.

Im in a favor that other nationalities should not open such threads like rape , bomb blast .

hazara killing was a news whereas this is an article written by some journalist...

May be because there is a dark side to Indian Judicial system. !!

Death penalty mostly awarded to dalits and religious minorities

Since 1995 death panelty has been used only four times
Auto Shankar in 1995, Dhananjoy Chatterjee in 2004, Ajmal Kasab in 2012 and Afzal Guru in 2013.[2]

All are from majority except one pakistani...

@Windjammer Agreed. Tit for Tat will always happen. We can discuss at least this issue given people don't go for cheap shots and point scoring.

@hunter_hunted Agreed too. I really don't mind this thread because I didn't see this news. HR violation cases are quite important as it causes much more trouble in future.

I told my views about these HR violation cases. How you view this as ? Most of these cases are exaggerated by these HR organizations who ignore key important factors.

Back
Top Bottom