What's new

India will explore oil in South China Sea: PM to Wen Jiabao

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: It has been a busy day for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Bali. He held back-to-back meetings with US President Barack Obama and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao on Friday, on the sidelines of the ASEAN Summit.

Manmohan Singh, in his 55-minute long meeting with his Chinese counterpart for 55 mins asserted India's right to explore oil in the South China Sea, which china claims as its exclusive domain.

When Jiabao met Manmohan Singh, they resolved to take ties to a new level.

Meanwhile, Singh also urged Obama that US companies should begin nuclear trade with India, while ruling out any major changes in liability law in the future.

Manmohan Singh and Barack Obama were meeting after a gap of almost a year. That and the recent hiccups on military and nuclear deals had set off talk of a drift in ties - it was an impression which the Prime Minister wanted to dispel when he said there were no irritants in the bilateral relationship.

"I'm very happy to report to you that today there are no irritants whatsoever in our working on a multiplicity of areas," Manmohan Singh said.

That sentiment got a boost with India moving the last mile on the nuclear pact. Supplier liability has been limited to 5 years and capped at Rs 1500 crores and the Prime Minister told Obama that law would be no hurdle to US companies wishing to invest in India's nuclear sector.

While India and China try to keep tensions down, the region's powers are playing for high stakes in multiple balancing acts.

With an eye on China, America plans to increase its military presence in Australia and India is developing military ties with Vietnam and Cambodia.

India will explore oil in South China Sea: PM to Wen Jiabao - India News - IBNLive

:tup::tup:

Manmohan Singh, in his 55-minute long meeting with his Chinese counterpart for 55 mins asserted India's right to explore oil in the South China Sea, which china claims as its exclusive domain.

HUH- HAHAHAHAHAHA! NAWWW WAYYYY!!! ARE YOU JOKING!? FOR REAL??? MMS said that? He actually said that!!!!? :woot: I must be dreaming (had 5 beer cans last night). Oh man! Hell must be snowing like crazy! :rofl:!!

The nuclear pact that India bagged, the deal of a century, a coup in terms of international attitude, was by far the greatest foreign policy win from MMS.

This single handedly opened India up for nuclear trade without signing the NPT! ... no one single, I repeat not one single country, including the Russians, were coming to India's aid on this- till the the US unilaterally forced it.

The nuclear pact that India bagged, the deal of a century, a coup in terms of international attitude, was by far the greatest foreign policy win from MMS.

This single handedly opened India up for nuclear trade without signing the NPT! ... no one single, I repeat not one single country, including the Russians, were coming to India's aid on this- till the the US unilaterally forced it.

I won't deny MMS the credit for that. But he undid all that good work after he signed up with you lot. Also got to thank Bush-Man for that deal. He really played a pivotal role in transforming Indo-US ties.

Clinching nuclear deal with US was indeed a great accomplishment of MMS. If this oil deal with Vietnam actually goes into culmination, it will be another feather in the cap of MMS

I won't deny MMS the credit for that. But he undid all that good work after he signed up with you lot. Also got to thank Bush-Man for that deal. He really played a pivotal role in transforming Indo-US ties.

I think if you were to be honest -its the opposition party that was against the deal to begin with ( phew, can't imagine it).... is the one derailing the deal and not MMS.

This liability clause is unheard of- never done in any such deal in any country in this world whne dealing with private companies. It was beyond ridiculous and open ended... but they new one makes sense.

so what should we do according to you...btw...PM wasn't sure of N-deal, says Condoleezza Rice

I think if you were to be honest -its the opposition party that was against the deal to begin with ( phew, can't imagine it).... is the one derailing the deal and not MMS.

This liability clause is unheard of- never done in any such deal in any country in this world whne dealing with private companies. It was beyond ridiculous and open ended... but they new one makes sense.

Well there were some restrictions that had to be put up after the Bhopal gas tragedy we had so many years ago. Thousands died and thousands of kids were affected for generations after that. Here we're talking about nuclear energy. See what happened in Fukushima. At least Japanese administration is proactive and dedicated. With the slime that rules our country, it would be a true disaster (heavens forbid). Liability clause like the present amended one was needed.

come again? if you quote me, please take the time to write your thoughts out please. what is the point of the link? what took place before the deal was done means what now?

i think it was blunt enough for you to understand...

yes your country helped with the nuke deal...but not with angelic intentions...it wants us to be its henchman in asia...specifically targeting china...now let mee make it clear...i have no love lost for china.....it's expansionism needs to be contained....and in that both us-india share a mutual interest , the US perhaps more than india...so this deal was just a quid-pro-quo....

btw the link ws to show that mms is not really the ma behind the deal intially...it was natwar singh whose adamant attitude persuaded india to go on with the deal....but i fo agree later it was mr.singh who took over....but giving credit to him alone is something wrong...

yes your country helped with the nuke deal...but not with angelic intentions...it wants us to be its henchman in asia...specifically targeting china...now let mee make it clear...i have no love lost for china.....it's expansionism needs to be contained....and in that both us-india share a mutual interest , the US perhaps more than india...so this deal was just a quid-pro-quo....

btw the link ws to show that mms is not really the ma behind the deal intially...it was natwar singh whose adamant attitude persuaded india to go on with the deal....but i fo agree later it was mr.singh who took over....but giving credit to him alone is something wrong...

Whatever. But dont you think India benefited the most by this deal ? Lets keep conspiracies aside for a while

Whatever. But dont you think India benefited the most by this deal ?

huh did i say anything to the contrary... ?? this was one of the best deals india has ever got after independence on par with the friensship treaty with ussr thar saved our backs in 1971.

i'm just reminding the yankee that they did not do us a charity and this was just a quid-pro-quo in geo-politics w.r.t china..and it was a combined effort of bush-mms-and natwar singh...not any one alone...

hypothetically if i should give a single credit i would credit bush bhaiya rather than mms...

I'll address the latter of your contention because I don't think you understand how Politics works. Him being the leader of his party gets credit... you see world leaders all have advisers but the " buck stops with those world leaders" i.e. they make the final call , not some advisor.

now re: the US's intention with india as a whole is economic and secruity related. yes it is mutual benefit ( note the meaning of the word mutual), but it would be a stretch to say they have any " henchman" like intention as you have stated.

regardless the nuclear deal was no "quid pro quo" as evident from where its stands, stood and direction it took... so again not a correct assumption made. The deal was no small matter and as I stated , especially given NOT a single country came to India's aid , not even riussia ( besides US).

Back
Top Bottom