What's new

India steals a march on the high seas

jha

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
India steals a march on the high seas

BANGALORE - India's first indigenously designed and manufactured stealth frigate, commissioned late last month, sees the country join an elite of just eight nations that have built warships with naval stealth technology - it's also a likely boost for New Delhi's hopes to establish a warship-building industry.

The 6,200-tonne Indian Naval Ship (INS) Shivalik, commissioned into the navy by Defense Minister A K Antony in Mumbai on April 29, is the world's largest stealth ship. Despite it weight and size, Shivalik will be able to tiptoe through the high seas and approach enemies largely undetected thanks to its many stealth features.

Radar-absorbent paint and the ability of the ship's sides to be angled by 10% to bounce off radar waves reduce the chances of
the hull being detected by up to 90%, and the ship's engines are placed on shock-proof mounts to reduce vibration. Highly effective insulators reduce the ship's thermal image, as does a special device which cools and diffuses smoke from its funnel.

Shivalik is the first of three "Project 17" multi-role stealth frigates being built at the government-owned Mazagon Docks Limited (MDL) in Mumbai. Another two, the Sahyadri and Satpura, are expected to be commissioned by end-2010 and mid-2011, respectively. These will be the navy's frontline frigates into the middle of the 21st century.

There are ships that are stealthier than Shivalik. Sweden's Visby class vessels and France's Lafayette class frigates are far more difficult to detect. But they are far smaller than Shivalik with displacements of 600 tonnes and 3,600 tonnes respectively.

Shivalik's teeth come from its mix of imported and indigenous weapon systems and sensors, which includes Barak surface-to-air missiles and a Shtil air defense system from Israel, Russian Klub anti-ship cruise missiles and basic anti-submarine warfare weapons.

It has sensors for air, surface and subsurface surveillance, electronic support and counter equipment and decoys for "soft kill measures", such as electronic jamming of incoming missiles. Shivalik is also equipped with defense systems against nuclear, biological and chemical attacks.

Opening up prospects for India's warship-building industry, the Shivalik is a "world-class frigate at Indian prices", according to defense analyst Ajai Shukla. The warship cost US$650 million to construct, a fraction of the price of a similar warship built elsewhere.

India's warship-building capability has been improving in recent years. In 2009 it launched its first indigenously built nuclear submarine for sea trials, becoming just the sixth country in the world to build such a vessel.
Several of the warships India is building are high-tech and low-cost. For example, "Project 15-A" at MDL is building three Kolkata class destroyers, each of which will cost $950 million, a third of the price for comparative warships built abroad. Four anti-submarine warfare corvettes are also being built at the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) in Kolkata at a cost of around $435 million. Under "Project 17A", MDL and GRSE will construct seven improved stealth frigates.

The cost of India's 44,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier, Vikrant, under construction at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) in southern India, is expected to be a third of the cost of the 65,000-tonne HMS Queen Elizabeth, while another planned IAC of 60,000-tonnage - likely to be named INS Vishaal - will cost less than half of its British equivalent.

Over the next five to seven years, India will be induct 37 major warships manufactured at home, saving the country an estimated $50 billion, writes Shukla. "India has everything it takes to be a warship-building superpower: the springboard of design expertise; cheap and skilled labor; and mounting experience in building successful warships," he said.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

By building ships indigenously we are not only becoming Independent from foreign countries in defense but also saving billions and providing jobs to the thousands of people.

Not to forget it is also strengthening our other industries direct and indirectly.

its really a giant step for indian defense ...
its great to see these ships built in india
rather that spending money to buy we can surely make such system in india

great work
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

^^^^^^^^^
No doubt about it...However i am wondering with good economy and enough man power why can't we speed up manufacturing pace??? I know making frigates..AC..Submarines is no joke however what is stopping us from increasing the manufacturing lines to speed up the induction...

^^^^^^^^^
No doubt about it...However i am wondering with good economy and enough man power why can't we speed up manufacturing pace??? I know making frigates..AC..Submarines is no joke however what is stopping us from increasing the manufacturing lines to speed up the induction...

cuz then people make hue and cry about massive military spending and its supposed objectives.

^^^^^^^^^

Mate our shipyards are huge they have capability to make many more ships than what they are making now.

MDL, Mumbai and GRSE, Kolkata undergoing major modernization programme including mudular shipbuilding techniques that will reduce time.

Also note that L&T, Pipavov and Bharti will also make naval ships.

KSL, Kochin makes aircraft carrier with modular technique.

HSY, Vishakhapattnam builds nuclear submarines with L&T.

GSL, Goa makes patrol vessels and boats.

Our navy is far better than air force and army in terms of weapons, systems and modernization above all strategic plans. Thats why our naval shipbuilding capabilities are great. :cheers:

None other than the "babus":lol:

And speed up?:), first we need to complete teh so called jinxed scorpenes!!!....

Sometimes I feel the word fast track is not possible in near future. Like some one stated in GRSE .." The plan as we build strategy of MOD" is always a pain staking thing.

However according to some recent report we are building some world class shipyards, like one coming in Chennei I guess??...

we will get there soon. We need some proper management here, for that we need proper corporate guys like MBAs who can manage things profesionally.

Its high time that we stop being conservative in nature, we need to be open and be more practical.

Until then.....We need to sit and relax..:coffee:

^^^^^^^^^

The lack of modular manufacturing is holding us back.

We go for modular shipbuilding in large scale it will save time, cost as well as give us many choices such as weapons system etc. to choose from.

Our navy is far better than air force and army in terms of weapons, systems and modernization above all strategic plans. Thats why our naval shipbuilding capabilities are great.

Hi Kinetic -

I agree IN is better than IAF and IA in terms of making home made weapons.

But.........talking over all defense works.
I feel that we are in such a state of time, where we have 1000 projects to complete, but no "Authority" Yet, to question or vet the authenticity of such projects.

I feel.
1. There should be some authority which can question, compell and meteliaze the plans of defense constructions.
2. A more professionally run MOD which can penalise the PSUs and DRDO, when a project is not completed in time and I must say we have 1000s of crores of tax money lying there and some action needs to be taken when things go out of time line. I am not taking R&D work into consideration here coz that does take time..
3. Expand the capacity of CAG.

I mean these are basics, our military self prepardness has come to a point where it is equivalent to Indian law, many laws but no enforcement...its kind of sad but Iam atleast happy that its speeding up and people are waking up.

Look at what DCNS did, they blamed us of being incapable to "absorb" the tech for Scorpenes.

We need to look into these "basic" areas first, until we do that, we cant build a nation with strong pillars which can withstand the test of time.

just my 2 cents.

The other things is that GRSE, MDL, GSL, KSL etc. etc. are all having a tie up with different vendors.

i.e. HDW, DCNS etc. are in contract with different shipyard this effects quality, standardization and also result in lobbying and delays.

Then what govt does to avoid this they divide the order this escalates cost, delay and other problems.

Hi Kinetic -

I feel that we are in such a state of time, where we have 1000 projects to complete, but no "Authority" Yet, to question or vet the authenticity of such projects.

I feel.
1. There should be some authority which can question, compell and meteliaze the plans of defense constructions.
2. A more professionally run MOD which can penalise the PSUs and DRDO, when a project is not completed in time and I must say we have 1000s of crores of tax money lying there and some action needs to be taken when things go out of time line. I am not taking R&D work into consideration here coz that does take time..

I mean these are basics, our military self prepardness has come to a point where it is equivalent to Indian law, many laws but no enforcement...its kind of sad but Iam atleast happy that its speeding up and people are waking up.

Look at what DCNS did, they blamed us of being incapable to "absorb" the tech for Scorpenes.

We need to look into these "basic" areas first, until we do that, we cant build a nation with strong pillars which can withstand the test of time.

just my 2 cents.

recently defense ministry turns down parliamentary committee's recommendations about having military officers (IA, IN, IAF) to head in the defense ministry.

Babus will not leave their cash cow.

All will be the same don't expect any ground breaking earth shattering things.

When china, pakistan are Continuously building their military assets our babus are warming the chair and doing meeting after meeting over hot tea and biscuits, at this time we should be on war footing. :hitwall::hitwall:

Hi Kinetic -

I feel.

just my 2 cents.

Good points bro. Actually we make problems, we select the problems, we make inquiry committee but we never fix the problem nor implement the report of the committee.

About Scorpene I think there were certain technologies that MDL wanted to develop in house rather than buying from DCNS which we failed to deliver in time or failed to develop thats cause behind delay.

Good points bro. Actually we make problems, we select the problems, we make inquiry committee but we never fix the problem nor implement the report of the committee.

About Scorpene I think there were certain technologies that MDL wanted to develop in house rather than buying from DCNS which we failed to deliver in time or failed to develop thats cause behind delay.

Its babus who screw all this. The foreign weapons firms have big lawyers with them but in our ministry babus have old formats and they can't make full proof contracts with penalties etc.

Because of this hwak AJT case of this submarine case is delayed and they don't care.

Now, ministry of defense has approached the law ministry to provide good lawyers so that this can be averted as we gonna sign many big contracts in near future.

Back
Top Bottom