What's new

India’s Democracy - Beginning To Ask The Right Questions

fd24

Reaction score
Whenever domestic policies are discussed in India, the discussions are shamefully complacent and a recent parliamentary debate on ‘Human rights in the Indian-subcontinent’ serves as one example. In the debate Barry Gardiner, the chair of The Labour Friends of India, set out to explain that India is a ‘beacon of tolerance, peace and democracy’ in the face of ‘some of the most serious security threats faced by any country in the world’. It is true that India suffers regular and devastating attacks from terrorist groups but it is laughable to describe the country as ‘tolerant’. How could Parliament not know about the allegations of torture, arbitrary arrest and extra-judicial imprisonment leveled against India’s government?

The debate was a waste of parliamentary time for another reason. It set out to celebrate India’s commitment to human rights whilst condemning India’s ‘unstable’ and ‘dangerous’ neighbours. To praise India whilst criticizing Burma and Pakistan, among others, both defies the facts and betrays a prejudiced view. The UK and India share a great trade and defence relationship, one highlighted by the very successful corporate delegation Cameron led to India last year. Who are The Labour Friends of India to complicate this lucrative dialogue by mentioning India’s rights violations?

The complacency of ‘the West’ is matched by the apathy of India’s own politicians. Sonia Gandhi, a pariah among India’s political classes, has defied the nation’s political and corporate mood by warning that India’s ruthless economic drive comes at the cost of ‘shrinking’ the country’s ‘moral universe’. Sonia Gandhi’s words will likely be met with a cynical reception and it is a shame that there is not a more popular or respected voice speaking out about the harm caused by India’s economic pursuits.

Internal security, poverty and health and human rights are all areas in which India’s democracy has proved to be the greater Achilles heel than with the economy itself.

Security

India is a nation fighting a war on two fronts. She is subject to regular attacks by foreign terrorists and home-grown militants; a combined threat posed by Islamist extremists, Maoist insurgents and Kashmiri separatists. Manmohan Singh described the Maoist insurgency as the greatest internal security threat to face India since the country gained independence.

The Maoists have a single aim: the overthrow of the Indian government by 2025. Arundhati Roy, the novelist turned polemicist, concedes that no government can negotiate effectively with a group intent on their destruction. But she argues better governance would extinguish many of the flames around which the Maoists rally. Instead, the government has chosen to fight fire with fire. In Chhattisgarh, the state most affected by the Maoist insurgency, the local government has formed a vigilante army of teenagers to fight the Maoist’s child soldiers.

The silent but persistent threat of guerrilla war is contrasted with inconsistent yet tragic acts of terrorism by religious fundamentalists. Mumbai suffered yet another terrorist attack in July but the emotion that characterised Mumbai’s response was anger. This anger was directed equally against the fanatical murderers and the city’s administration, who many felt had failed to secure the city since the 2008 Taj attacks. A day after this year’s attacks Rahul Gandhi, the scion of the Gandhi political dynasty, remarked it is ‘difficult to stop every attack’ and ‘one or two…will get through’. Such political misjudgement has reinforced public perceptions of the ineptness and apathy of India’s government. Many felt that political corruption and lack of concern were to blame for the lack of intelligence and for the failure to mount an effective security response.

Health and Poverty

The plight of most Indians is ignored by discussions of India’s unrealised economic potential. Manmohan Singh described malnutrition in India as the country’s ‘blackest mark’ whilst Syeda Hameed, a member of India’s Planning Commission, conceded that India is worse than Bangladesh and Pakistan in terms of a failure to provide basic nourishment. India’s Family Health Survey reported that just under 46% of children under three, roughly 80 million, are undernourished. The current percentage represents a mere 1% improvement after seven years. Unicef reports that 2.1 million children die annually in India before the age of 5 as a result of malnutrition, a lack of health facilities and poor hygiene.

The stark failure of the government to act effectively is highlighted by the country’s poverty figures. In times when India’s economy is growing by around 8%, more than 800 million Indians continue live on under $2 a day.

Human rights violations

The international community seems both blind and deaf to allegations of torture and land theft perpetrated by the Indian government. WikiLeaks revealed that in 2005 the Red Cross briefed US diplomats about the use of electrocution, beatings and sexual humiliation against military detainees. One cable reports that the US embassy in Dehli heard from the Red Cross that the Indian government had not acted to halt the ‘continued ill-treatment of detainees’. The Red Cross are said to have concluded that the Indian government ‘condones torture’ and that torture victims often died.

The ‘reclamation’ of land is a programme of rights infringement the government don’t seem to want to hide. As demands for iron ore and coal increase, so has the rate of displacement. Ramachandra Guha has compared the treatment by India of its tribal groups to the persecution of Australia’s aboriginal population. The sole distinction he draws is that in India, things appear to be getting worse.

The sentiment that India’s ruthless economic progress victimizes the poor was expressed by India’s Supreme Court, which remarked that ‘every step [taken] seems to give rise to insurgency and political extremism’. The Supreme Court went further to observe that ‘development’ has become ‘a dreadful and hated word’. The Court made these remarks in a case concerning the acquisition of land by a company that had failed to compensate its tribal owner for 23 years.

Conclusion

A recent article in the FT described India as a ‘land of paradox’. It compared an 8% growth rate and a growing, consumerist middle class with figures that in some Indian states, the number of those living in poverty or suffering from malnutrition exceed the numbers in sub-Saharan Africa. This ‘central contradiction’ seems to reflect John Galbraith’s economic model which explains that "if you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the sparrows." This is a political and policy strategy that is, evidently, failing.

The inadvertent success of the resurgence in the anti-graft campaign was the exposure of the extent of corruption in India’s political system. A necessary outcome of this exposure must be that the international community take a more critical stance towards India’s domestic failings.

So a discussion on India’s democracy without any consideration of India’s domestic policy failings is frankly a debate not worth having.

When Indian global warriors come on here and start advising us on the issues in Balochistan i suggest they look at home and resolve their own issues first.
Both nations have issues. By having cheap shots at Pakistan doesn't mean your own problems are diminished.

India

There are problems, no doubt. But the names inclusive in problematic category are mentioned above. Overthrow by 2025, yeah right. They are getting caved in by daily operations, hated by local villagers for abducting and killing their loved ones, hated by industrialists who are forced to pay a "protection money" to these terrorists and hated by the nation for their cheap ideology. I won't be surprised if they are wiped off the politico-strategic existence before 2025.

The problem lies with this bloody party sucking off nation's wealth and prosperity, inducing corruption and evil. They neither let people do their work nor the military and snatch from both. The day this party falls, will be a new dawn to Indian politics. The party that took over after Brits left is the source of all problems. 60 years of looting the country isn't enough for them.

There are problems, no doubt. But the names inclusive in problematic category are mentioned above. Overthrow by 2025, yeah right. They are getting caved in by daily operations, hated by local villagers for abducting and killing their loved ones, hated by industrialists who are forced to pay a "protection money" to these terrorists and hated by the nation for their cheap ideology. I won't be surprised if they are wiped off the politico-strategic existence before 2025.

The problem lies with this bloody party sucking off nation's wealth and prosperity, inducing corruption and evil. They neither let people do their work nor the military and snatch from both. The day this party falls, will be a new dawn to Indian politics. The party that took over after Brits left is the source of all problems. 60 years of looting the country isn't enough for them.

My knowledge of internal affairs is poor of India. From what i hear they realize they have an issue with corruption and recently attempts are being made to counter this.

Good article.

The problem is that Indians have clearly shown the mentality they have is to bury their own heads deep in the sand and not see how much crap they have in their own nation. They make themselves feel better by pointing issues in our land.
I tell you something with the amount of problems that comes with 1.2 billion people i too realise why they need escapism from reality. They really need to look in the mirror befor talking about how bad our nation is.

The problem is that Indians have clearly shown the mentality they have is to bury their own heads deep in the sand and not see how much crap they have in their own nation. They make themselves feel better by pointing issues in our land.
I tell you something with the amount of problems that comes with 1.2 billion people i too realise why they need escapism from reality. They really need to look in the mirror befor talking about how bad our nation is.

Lol Indians live in this reality , we don't need Pakistanis to show us our problems . The fact remains that India 's problems for a country of 1.2 billion are not nearly as much as Pakistan has for a country of 180 million .

This a period of high growth for india so the media covers both good and bad news .

By the way , blogs are not respected much on respected internet forums .

About domestic policy failings , well which country has not had domestic policy failings ?

The fact that world bank estimates that India will reduce its poor from 51 % in 1990 to 22 % in 2015 shows that some domestic policies have worked . No country is perfect .

Lol Indians live in this reality , we don't need Pakistanis to show us our problems . The fact remains that India 's problems for a country of 1.2 billion are not nearly as much as Pakistan has for a country of 180 million .

This a period of high growth for india so the media covers both good and bad news .

By the way , blogs are not respected much on respected internet forums .

You come onto PDF and want to forget your issues? Thats fine by me. You want to focus on high growth thats also fine by us. To tell us your problems are smaller than yours is a matter for you. We on PDF will discuss and talk about bloggs if it takes our fancy. If you are offended and dont think blogs are much respected then with respect you dont have to be on here unless you are obsessed by Pakistan and what we are up to. I will leave that up to you.

You come onto PDF and want to forget your issues? Thats fine by me. You want to focus on high growth thats also fine by us. To tell us your problems are smaller than yours is a matter for you. We on PDF will discuss and talk about bloggs if it takes our fancy. If you are offended and dont think blogs are much respected then with respect you dont have to be on here unless you are obsessed by Pakistan and what we are up to. I will leave that up to you.

As long as PDF discusses India , Indians will be here . If you don't like it stop discussing India on here or officially ban Indians from joining . I will leave that up to you .:)

what to do sir we are feeling same.

Elect a nationalistic Govt at the centre ....and within a span of two terms several of our woes will be solved.

Don't want our democracy to ask any questions , just act to rid the pathetic UPA out of the centre . Problems will sort themselves out.

Indians are remarkably aware of their problem. Perhaps they don't believe PDF WA is best place to discuss it. What they don;t understand is the weird obsession of Pakistan to discuss all things India. I mean Pakistan shares same problems as India and yet so many remembers don't even utter the word Pakistan unless it is about eternal China-Pakistan friendship. You are old enough to not spout such silly view.

From the article:

The plight of most Indians is ignored by discussions of India’s unrealised economic potential. Manmohan Singh described malnutrition in India as the country’s ‘blackest mark’ whilst Syeda Hameed, a member of India’s Planning Commission, conceded that India is worse than Bangladesh and Pakistan in terms of a failure to provide basic nourishment. India’s Family Health Survey reported that just under 46% of children under three, roughly 80 million, are undernourished. The current percentage represents a mere 1% improvement after seven years. Unicef reports that 2.1 million children die annually in India before the age of 5 as a result of malnutrition, a lack of health facilities and poor hygiene.

No one ignores this. People just don't obsess over this. India has 1.2 billion people. Some states have taken leap and some are falling behind. Hunger is not an "India" problem, it is state problem. States with highest population growth are also the poorest and most backward. And they are dragging down the rest.

Indians are remarkably aware of their problem. Perhaps they don't believe PDF WA is best place to discuss it. What they don;t understand is the weird obsession of Pakistan to discuss all things India. I mean Pakistan shares same problems as India and yet so many remembers don't even utter the word Pakistan unless it is about eternal China-Pakistan friendship. You are old enough to not spout such silly view.

I dont think you are aware of the issues. Why dont you look at the last 20 posts by Indians and you will see. Im am only basing my thoughts on what i see. Read the aricle carefully to remind yourself as i think you have a leaky memory young man. Our obsession is PDF and India is an excitable neighbor hence we discuss.
Do me a favor and dont bring China and Pakistan relations as that would be off topic and its taken me 100s of posts to get you to focus on topic i wouldnt want you to fall into bad habits. Have a nice evening mate.

No one ignores this. People just don't obsess over this. India has 1.2 billion people. Some states have taken leap and some are falling behind. Hunger is not an "India" problem, it is state problem. States with highest population growth are also the poorest and most backward. And they are dragging down the rest.

Yet that can not be made as a excuse my brother, the rich has to have some social responsibility of supporting the poor by any means that is feasible to them, The Rich get richer and the poor get poorer not only in India by the rest of the world and the Global leaders turn a blind eye on this reality be cause the money of the corporates keeps them in the power they are in.

Back
Top Bottom