What's new

India, Qatar Agree To Co-Produce Weapons, Increase Military Exchanges

Adux

Reaction score
India, Qatar Agree To Co-Produce Weapons, Increase Military Exchanges

By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI, NEW DELHI

India and Qatar will jointly produce weapons and military equipment under a recent agreement between Indian Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutt and senior Qatari officials.
Defence Ministry sources here said the agreement will be signed later this year, and will be similar to the pact India entered into with neighboring Indonesia earlier this month.
Dutt reached the terms in a June 22 meeting in Qatar with the country’s heir apparent, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani; Maj. Gen. Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah, chief of staff of Qatar’s military; and the chiefs of the Air Force and Navy.
Qatar will collaborate with Indian defense companies to make equipment and weapons.
Indian Defence Ministry officials said the agreement will increase the level of service training, military-to-military contacts and sharing of information between the two countries.
Qatar had been upset with India since the collapse in 2005 of negotiations to sell 12 of its Mirage 2000-5 aircraft to India. The Indian Air Force, which assessed the aircraft to be in like-new condition, pushed for the purchase. Qatar, however, rejected New Delhi’s bid for the Mirages as too low.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2857528

We just delievered them Mirage simulators or soemthing like that, Qatar and Bahrain has excellent relations with India!

Qatar has only one thing going for it. That it owns the largest gas field in the world. Qatar can therefore only provide funds to India but " Co-production of weapons!!" ha ha. There is nothing Qatar can brinng to the table. Why Qatar needs advance weapons any way ?? Only time that Qataris fired in anger was against the Bahrainis in 1987 over a few small Islands owned by Bahrain but located near the Qatari coast. Oh yes, they also provided a contingent against Iraq in the first Gulf War. Dont really know why they purchased Mirage 2000 either??

Let us face it. This is merely a Public Relations excercise.

" Co-production of weapons!!" ha ha. There is nothing Qatar can brinng to the table.

probably bullets or something lol...

On a serious note it might mean they will start funding certain developments.

What are you referring to? Military or civil developments like a gas pipeline to India?

What are you referring to? Military or civil developments like a gas pipeline to India?

Military. We are devloping a radar it , Qatar funds it 50.50 end product goes to both of us or the sale proceeds are sharred.

Ofcourse it is sir, but

Qatari's might have their own perception of threat, They do have some really advanced weapons in Mirage 2000-9 etc. They might believe buying stuff like Mirage Simulators, etc. Which are not by any chance as much as similar as a "bullet"

It is a diplomatic failure on part of Pakistan than it Can't make other fellow muslim countries see India the way it wants them to see. I say this statement for all Ummah lovers over here.

Doesn't make sense, Qatar is still willing to dispose its 12 Mirages and won't invest more into this platform.

Ofcourse it is sir, but

Qatari's might have their own perception of threat, They do have some really advanced weapons in Mirage 2000-9 etc. They might believe buying stuff like Mirage Simulators, etc. Which are not by any chance as much as similar as a "bullet"

It is a diplomatic failure on part of Pakistan than it Can't make other fellow muslim countries see India the way it wants them to see. I say this statement for all Ummah lovers over here.

Actually this will only comes as a shock to few Arab lovers in pakistan.Most are aware of arabs.:enjoy:

Cheetah,

Longtime..welcome back

Its not about that...every country has their own priorities;

Sory I was mistaken, It is not Qatar but Oman, btw Oman and Bahrain and Qatar all these have excellent relations with India.

From HAL's 32nd newsletter,
‘Mission Oman’
By Jacob Chandy, SM (PR), Lucknow

Lucknow, June 11: A top team
from HAL’s Accessories Division,
Lucknow, is back after successfully
completing a critical mission of
Royal Air Force of Oman.

The Division had received an
export order from Royal Air Force
of Oman (RAFO) for installation
and commissioning of three types
of Jaguar PFCI test rigs at Thumrait
Air base in Oman.

These rigs were long back procured
by RAFO from M/s Fairy
Hydraulics, U.K. and were not
functional since their receipt.

HAL, Accessories Division team
led by Mr S.K. Srivastava, Senior
Manager (Equipment), was deputed
to Sultanate of Oman in April
for the above work. The team has
successfully installed and commissioned
the rigs and imparted
hands-on training to RAFO personnel.

The RAFO has issued a
Completion Certificate to HAL.
Incidentally, such type of export
work was taken up by HAL for the
first time.

The other members of the team
were: Mr Vakil Singh, Dy.
Manager (Maintenance), Mr Nand
Lal Ram, Sr Master Technician, Mr
Mahesh Kumar Sharma, Master
Technician and Mr Rakesh

I dont know much about Qatar but I doubt they will jointly produce any arms and such, possibility in funding projects is there but I dont think that is going to happen, so they can be a buyer of certain things.

These kind of co-operation helps in lobbying for getting gas fields by ONGC et al against Chinese competitors etc etc.

Sory I was mistaken, It is not Qatar but Oman, btw Oman and Bahrain and Qatar all these have excellent relations with India.

I dont know much about Qatar but I doubt they will jointly produce any arms and such, possibility in funding projects is there but I dont think that is going to happen, so they can be a buyer of certain things.

These kind of co-operation helps in lobbying for getting gas fields by ONGC et al against Chinese competitors etc etc.

India definately needs the gas and Qatar the Indian professionals who work there like Doctors etc.

I think India will pay part of the Gas import bill with say ALH's / aviation radars or provide servicing for UK origin equipment used both by India and Qatar. Its good for India to have as many Arabic Nations as its friends as it one day wants to be a part of the OIC as an observer country.

Regards

Always Neutral, no offence but Except for Saudi Arabia I'm willing for India to have good relationship with others which we do have with Bahrain and Oman,and oh OIC charter does not fits with views of Indias constitution, dont see any gains other than some dirty politics entering there as well.

Always Neutral, no offence but Except for Saudi Arabia I'm willing for India to have good relationship with others which we do have with Bahrain and Oman,and oh OIC charter does not fits with views of Indias constitution, dont see any gains other than some dirty politics entering there as well.

Dear Joey,

None offense taken. I had read in the Financial Times UK that India wishes to be part of the OIC since it has the second largest population of muslims and that Saudi Arabia was the key sponsorer. Please see the weblink below

http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/publish/printer_25449.shtml

Please also see the salient points below

Sauid King Abdullah Bin Aziz's visit to India for four days on the occasion of India's Republic Day on January 26 attaches much importance in respect of enhancing the relations between India and Saudi Arabia. This significant visit has taken place between these two countries after fifty one years which exerts importance in global politics. more importantly, the strategic, political and financial cooperation between these countries definitely bears importance and may throw some positive effects on the policy of Pakistan and India. This visit may contribute to the rapprochement between India and Pakistan. It is healthful for Indian Muslims as well. It is important in respect of King Abdull's effort to extend the horizon of diplomatic relations beyond Muslim states.

The King has proposed to rebuild the mosques of Delhi and extend cooperation to enhance educational facilities giving financial support to the schools and colleges of India. They also talked about the possibility of joint venture to use nuclear and other energy, which could be used for the welfare of the people of India and Saudi Arabia. In respect of business and establishing industries they discussed and promised to find out new possibilities.

The king touched upon a very significant point during his visit. He proposed that India should be given the status of observer in the OIC. The present global scenario invites subtle importance to this proposal. India boasts of having about 140 million Muslim population. Substantial Muslim populated countries are usually given the status of observer of OIC. India necessarily goes under this criterion which the King has understood and ingeniously given the proposal. We know Russia, Central African Republic, Republic of Ivory Coast and Thailand already enjoy the status of observers of OIC. After the establishment of OIC in 1979 it could not make much headway. It has also failed to reach its objectives and bring any substantial change for the Muslim Ummah.

If turkey is a member of OIC then I dont see why India cant. But then again; if they dont want us,its ok by me

Back
Top Bottom