What's new

India officer 'commits suicide'

dabong1

<b>PDF VETERAN</b>
Reaction score
India officer 'commits suicide'

Indian troops have been fighting militants in Kashmir since 1989
A woman officer belonging to the Indian army has committed suicide in the Jammu region of Indian-administered Kashmir, the police said.
Captain Megha Razdan took her life by hanging herself at her home in a cantonment area in Jammu, police said.

She left a suicide note, police said. The army has launched an investigation into her death.

There has been a sharp rise in suicides in India's army - more than 100 soldiers took their lives last year.

Last June, another woman officer, Lieutenant Sushmita Chakraborty, shot herself dead at Udhampur, the Indian amry's northern command headquarters.

Analysts say the million-strong force is under tremendous stress.

Though it has not fought a full-blown war in decades, the force is bogged down in fighting domestic insurgencies, guarding restive borders and sometimes quelling civilian rioting.

Most experts attribute the growing stress to low morale, bad service conditions, lack of adequate home leave, unattractive pay and a communication gap with superiors.

Family problems are also attributed as one of the reasons leading to an inccreasing number of suicides.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6259980.stm

well i am deepely sorry to hear that news is very sad.................

Dear Guys,

Before we make this into a Pakistan vs India or Azad Kashmir vs IOK match lets just remember for a moment that someone lost a daughter and someone lost a wife and some others lost a friend. Also remember the highest female suicide rate is in Scandanavia which has no problems of insurgencies etc.

Regards

I'd like to know whats she wrote in the suicide letter.

Btw, 100 kills a year within a diciplined institution like an army is serious business and should raise alarms.

It will become personal property of the ladys next of kin after due procedures.

Respecting a dead uniformed officers dignity is the best those of us civilised enough can do whichever side of the fence they may come from.

Dear Guys,

Before we make this into a Pakistan vs India or Azad Kashmir vs IOK match

It's not about turning the thread into Pak vs India match. I just provided the solution to the suicide problem among the IA personnel, in post # 2.

Dear Guys,

Before we make this into a Pakistan vs India or Azad Kashmir vs IOK match lets just remember for a moment that someone lost a daughter and someone lost a wife and some others lost a friend. Also remember the highest female suicide rate is in Scandanavia which has no problems of insurgencies etc.

Regards

It's interesting that you mention the suicide thing in Scandinavia as I have lived there for a while.
There is a specific environmental and sociological situation there which creates higher suicide rates. So in this case the Scandinavia comparison cannot be held as being valid.

I think the higher rate of suicides in this case may be PTSD related.Even Western armies have the issue, despite acknowledging the problem and trying to deal with it.

Dear Guys,

Regards

Thats intresting,do you know the reasons why?

Btw, 100 kills a year within a diciplined institution like an army is serious business and should raise alarms.

It has, but then you cannot stop anybody from taking their lives. there are kids who commit suicide bcoz they got 95 instead of 100 marks.

WHat can be stopped is the loss of life due to avoidable reasons like leaves / mental stress etc. The measures required to stop these can easily be implemented.

Back
Top Bottom