What's new

India may snap business, transport links with Pak: Chidambaram

Al-zakir

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Press Trust of India

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:13 PM (London)

India may break off business, transport and tourist links with Pakistan if it fails to help to investigate the Mumbai attacks, Home Minister P Chidambaram has warned, pressing Islamabad to "cooperate soon."

"There are many, many links between India and Pakistan, and if Pakistan does not cooperate and does not help to bring the perpetrators to heel, those ties will become weaker and weaker and one day snap," Chidambaram told The Times daily.

"Why would we entertain Pakistani business people? Why would we entertain tourists in India? Why would we send tourists there?"

Chidambaram refused to discuss when such measures might be introduced, but said: "We need cooperation soon."

Accusing Islamabad of doing nothing to bring to justice the perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba, Chidambaram said Islamabad has provided "nothing" so far after New Delhi handed over a dossier of evidence linking elements within that country to the Mumbai terror attacks of November 26.

Asked what Pakistan was doing to help with the investigation, Chidambaram said: "Zero. What have they provided? Nothing."

NDTV.com: India may snap business, transport links with Pak: Chidambaram

OH MY, i dont think Pakistan's economy will be able to survive without Indian help :D.

Let them cut off all transport links to Pakistan, we're getting sick and tired of this bluff. Effects on trade blockade will hurt Indian farmers and industry more than it will hurt ours since trade balance is in Indian favor.

Go ahead, deny your poor farmer his daily roti...but do know that you'll be responsible for his misery not us.

Let them cut off all transport links to Pakistan, we're getting sick and tired of this bluff. Effects on trade blockade will hurt Indian farmers and industry more than it will hurt ours since trade balance is in Indian favor. Go ahead, deny your poor farmer his daily roti...but do know that you'll be responsible for his misery not us.

Chidambaram has very good understanding of economy and muslim vote bank is very conventional to congress. With out proper economical or poletical advantage i doubt Indian govt goes for this

Let them cut off all transport links to Pakistan, we're getting sick and tired of this bluff. Effects on trade blockade will hurt Indian farmers and industry more than it will hurt ours since trade balance is in Indian favor.

Go ahead, deny your poor farmer his daily roti...but do know that you'll be responsible for his misery not us.

I dont think it will hinder india much as becuase total trade of india and SAARC countries is just .8 percent of the GDP. And if you look at textiles and clothing industry in your country it contributed to 68% of your export earnings and 9% of your GDP whereas in india its just 4% of GDP and constitutes only 17% percentage of our export earnings..(as per 2004-05 statistics) so i think it will hurt more the pakistani industry rather than india..!!!
But we have huge potential for furthering trade between two countries and it really would make sense economically for the industries of both countries..!!!!

Some trade detail Indo-Pak according to 23 Jul 2008

Meanwhile, Pakistan has diverted global trade worth more than $4.1 billion (Rs17,507 crore) towards India following the inclusion of 438 new importable items in the positive list over the past 10 months.
This expansion has led to the widening of Pakistan’s trade deficit with India to $893 million in 2006-07 from $737.36 million in 1999-2000. With the latest expansion in the list, the deficit could touch $1.5 billion.
Official figures for the July-March period of 2007-08 showed Pakistan’s trade deficit with India stood at $1.095 billion. Pakistan exported commodities worth $200 million to India in the July-March period of 2007-08, while the value of imported goods during the period touched $1,295 million.
Pakistan’s exports to India have stagnated between $200 million and $400 million.
While unveiling the new trade policy last week, commerce minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar said Pakistan was “gradually liberalizing” trade with India.
He said the government had approved the import of 136 new items from Pakistan, including fuel oil and diesel and CNG buses.
However, not everyone is in favour of the expansion of trade with India. The Pakistan Association of Automotive Parts and Accessories Manufacturers has flayed the decision to allow the import of CNG buses. Association chairman M.A. Malik urged the ­government to revoke the decision. Meanwhile, Pakistan has diverted global trade worth more than $4.1 billion (Rs17,507 crore) towards India following the inclusion of 438 new importable items in the positive list over the past 10 months.
This expansion has led to the widening of Pakistan’s trade deficit with India to $893 million in 2006-07 from $737.36 million in 1999-2000. With the latest expansion in the list, the deficit could touch $1.5 billion.
Official figures for the July-March period of 2007-08 showed Pakistan’s trade deficit with India stood at $1.095 billion. Pakistan exported commodities worth $200 million to India in the July-March period of 2007-08, while the value of imported goods during the period touched $1,295 million.
Pakistan’s exports to India have stagnated between $200 million and $400 million.
While unveiling the new trade policy last week, commerce minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar said Pakistan was “gradually liberalizing” trade with India.
He said the government had approved the import of 136 new items from Pakistan, including fuel oil and diesel and CNG buses.
However, not everyone is in favour of the expansion of trade with India. The Pakistan Association of Automotive Parts and Accessories Manufacturers has flayed the decision to allow the import of CNG buses. Association chairman M.A. Malik urged the ­government to revoke the decision. Meanwhile, Pakistan has diverted global trade worth more than $4.1 billion (Rs17,507 crore) towards India following the inclusion of 438 new importable items in the positive list over the past 10 months.
However, not everyone is in favour of the expansion of trade with India. The Pakistan Association of Automotive Parts and Accessories Manufacturers has flayed the decision to allow the import of CNG buses. Association chairman M.A. Malik urged the ­government to revoke the decision.

I dont think it will hinder india much as becuase total trade of india and SAARC countries is just .8 percent of the GDP. And if you look at textiles and clothing industry in your country it contributed to 68% of your export earnings and 9% of your GDP whereas in india its just 4% of GDP and constitutes only 17% percentage of our export earnings..(as per 2004-05 statistics) so i think it will hurt more the pakistani industry rather than india..!!!
But we have huge potential for furthering trade between two countries and it really would make sense economically for the industries of both countries..!!!!

The impact on Pakistan is going to be insignificant

Chidambaram sahib, please go ahead and do it instead of this useless bluster. Sort of like all that talk of 'all options on the table'. :disagree:

Blatant violations of the UNSC resolutions for over fifty years and now this tamasha - who in their right mind considers India a responsible nation?

Throwing petulant fits and tantrums all over the place.:rolleyes:

With the latest expansion in the list, the deficit could touch $1.5 billion.

Please go ahead and cut ties.

Why should we send 1.5 billion of our money to India with this sort of arrogant and belligerent behavior.

Your calculation doesn't make sense, read Sha's post #6, trade balance is in India's favor. How on earth is it going to affect us more when you lose $1.5 billion surplus in bilateral trade? :confused:

Chidambaram is ex-finance minister, and a great finance minister. He knows exactly what will happen if India snaps economic ties with Pakistan.

Just on cricket
Loss of tour costs Pakistan $40m
The Pakistan Cricket Board lost $40m after the cancellation of India's tour, PCB chairman Ijaz Butt has said.

Chidambaram is ex-finance minister, and a great finance minister. He knows exactly what will happen if India snaps economic ties with Pakistan.

Riiigghhtt, and I saw a flying pig on my way back home from work today.
Fact is, you have very little ground to stand on when it comes to your countries or governments credibility.
Due to countless threats and statements like these, I start appreciating Zardari and the way he is responding to this, and me appreciating Zardari means something or someone else probably screwed up BIGTIME. ;)

First is relations, now with business links. The situation doesn't look good at all.

First is relations, now with business links. The situation doesn't look good at all.

Actually, the future will never look bright with Kashmir still unsolved.
The GoI have showed their true colors during the Mumbai attacks, and it's a good thing Pakistan remembers this and keeps it in mind at all times.
As for cutting ties with India, I wouldn't mind, infact, i'm going to bed in a few and I won't lose any sleep over it, seriously.
They haven't done us much good with "business and transport links", perhaps violating our airspace a few times, sent in a few spies, and that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom