What's new

India Mars launch stokes Asian space race with China

Now you are twisting my words. What I was saying is that the primary objectives of MOM which is to master the deep space flight management is a very important step for IRSO to go through for future missions. Even with much big scientific payload, truthly doubt that this mission will discover something new or useful for ISRO that they can easily obtain from published material from NASA.

I think that China is either very confident about its deep space exploration capability through Chang'e 2 mission or they are just not too serious about Mars mission at this stage because right now focusing on land a rover on the moon is more important than just send a probe to Mars. From that experience, the next China's Mars mission will be a full exploration mission with rover for possible discovery.

Read your own comment.

There is no "More significant" of one country's mission than our own endeavour.

Every bit of our space mission is significant even though some of the maneuvers have been done by other nations.

Read your own comment.

There is no "More significant" of one country's mission than our own endeavour.

Every bit of our space mission is significant even though some of the maneuvers have been done by other nations.

My common was

its primary objectives are more significant than some mere scientific study which has been done many times by other space agencies.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/chines...s-asian-space-race-china-3.html#ixzz2iQLE6WJP

And what is wrong with that statement? Their primary objectives are more significant than its secondary objectives of scientific study of mars environmental surronding which was done many times over by other agencies?

My common was

And what is wrong with that statement? Their primary objectives are more significant than its secondary objectives of scientific study of mars which was many times over by other agencies?

You fail to read my point

You said “more significant" of that indian mission which only reserve to your self or someone else

I repeat: every mission undertaking by China's space agency is significant regardless if they have been done by other countries - such as the coming lunar mission!

So I referred to the elements of your "putting down" China's mission as "less" significant in the comment while at the same time you were saying not to "put-down" indians mission! You were swallowing your own pills!

Get it?

You fail to read my point

You said “more significant" of that indian mission which only reserve to your self or someone else

I repeat: every mission undertaking by China's space agency is significant regardless if they have been done by other countries - such as the coming lunar mission!

So I referred to the elements of your "putting down" China's mission as "less" significant in the comment while at the same time you were saying not to "put-down" indians mission! You were swallowing your own pills!

Get it?

Where in my post I compare the significance of MOM with China? I only compared the significance of its primary objectives to its secondary scientific objectives. For this purpose it can carry a dummy orbitor by all means.

There are just some people here who is trying to marginalize this Indian mission for who knows what reason. Just like CNSA, every step ISRO takes is significant for their future missions.

Where in my post I compare the significance of MOM with China? I only compared the significance of its primary objectives to its secondary scientific objectives. For this purpose it can carry a dummy orbitor by all means.

There are just some people here who is trying to marginalize this Indian mission for who knows what reason. Just like CNSA, every step ISRO takes is significant for their future missions.

then you should not have said the indian mission is "more significant" than the others which are secondary endeavours
It is a put-down on other missions which are not "significant" according to your definition of "primary" vs "secondary"
You are doing the same thing while accusing the other members put-down on inda

And in the OP it was that idiotic indian who made a provocative statment and the cause of tension there!

The probe that is going to orbit the Mars weighs about 15 kgs. 1350 kgs is the weight of the whole pakage at launch. Please double check.

Is the probe only 15Kg? I want to hear from the Indians. Asian Indians to be specific.

Looks like the BBC admins are recruiting English Tabloid writers. Since when did competition in academics/scientific feats etc become bad, as akin to an arms race ?

Ridiculous article by some juvenile wanna be sensationalist. :thumbsdown:

LOL BBC hired an Indian. Check out the name of the author.

As far as I see, there is no arm race between China and India. Both countries have different objectives and goals as regarding space and space explorations

Not say I am trying to put down India Mars achievement. In fact, China could have done the same but what is the purpose of this mission with a mediocre 15kg payload? What kind of data and analyse can do collect with 15kg equipment payload?

Remember India boast about being the 4th nation to set their presence on Moon by crashing its flag onto the surface of Moon. Ask yourself, can China do that too? But it serves no purpose rather than using a cheap hard crash tactic to try prove something. I can be sure the India flag is properly blow into pieces.

Now in coming Dec, China is going to do a soft landing with a Moon rovers to achieve the more technically difficult method. If India do a real major breakthru in the scientific means , sure I will be happy and admire their success. But India is too obsesses with trying to catch up with China and using those cheap shot means trying to fool the masses that their space agency is ahead with China is not going to prove anything with those intellectual.

Very good description on the purpose of India's space exploration. Its to surpass China. So its goal is to do something that China have not done and let the government to boast that it has surpass China. Its sad that India focus on surpassing a country its obsess with. The worse thing is that not only the gov or the media is obsessed with China, but the people are also obsessed as well. India need to do scientific research for the sake of research instead of focus on getting ahead of another country.

As far as I see, there is no arm race between China and India. Both countries have different objectives and goals as regarding space and space explorations

This should be the case, but India's goal is to surpass China by doing something that China had never done. Instead of doing something for the benefit of India. Unless if you believe that India's need is just to compete with China. In that case, its an obsession that India need to get rid of.

then you should not have said the indian mission is "more significant" than the others which are secondary endeavours
It is a put-down on other missions which are not "significant" according to your definition of "primary" vs "secondary"
You are doing the same thing while accusing the other members put-down on inda

And in the OP it was that idiotic indian who made a provocative statment and the cause of tension there!

You are mistaken here.
The primary objectives and secondary objectives here are just for this one Indian mission. Other space agencies' missions to mars' primary objectives were actually scientific study after they master the deep space flight, communication, navigation and etc.

Personally I don't believe in responding an idiotic comment with another idiotic comment is the best way to fight idiocy.

This should be the case, but India's goal is to surpass China by doing something that China had never done. Instead of doing something for the benefit of India. Unless if you believe that India's need is just to compete with China. In that case, its an obsession that India need to get rid of.

How is China's manned mission helping the Chinese people. :wacko:

How is China's manned mission helping the Chinese people. :wacko:

You should ask them. But here in America, we benefit a lot from space research. I think they are trying to setup the same labs as well for research that need to be done on space.

India, on the other hand, only focus on competing with China as its obsessed with China.

Is the probe only 15Kg? I want to hear from the Indians. Asian Indians to be specific.

Here the main advance is not the Mars probe's instruments (may be 15kg total wt), it is the spacecraft-building and its operations capabilities...

PSLV-C25 (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) rocket will place the mass orbitor spacecraft in earth orbit...The spacecraft's dry mass is planned to be 500 kg, and it will carry 850 kg of propellant and oxidiser that is total 1350kg... Rest of the travell is by this spacecraft.... This spacecraft's Mars orbit insertion is planned for 21 September 2014 .... This spacecraft have a payload of 15 kg of five instruments....

Here the payload is not that important as we getting new launch vehicles like GSLV we can increase this... The important advances are
1. Design and realisation of a Mars orbiter(Spacecraft)with a capability to perform Earth bound manoeuvres, cruise phase of 300 days, Mars orbit insertion / capture, and on-orbit phase around Mars.
2. Deep space communication, navigation, mission planning and management.
3. Incorporate autonomous features to handle contingency situations.

You should ask them. But here in America, we benefit a lot from space research. I think they are trying to setup the same labs as well for research that need to be done on space.

India, on the other hand, only focus on competing with China as its obsessed with China.

You wrote something benefit for the people , so before telling Indians you better tell me what benefits does it serve to Chinese people by spending money in manned space mission since most of such researches had already been done by America and USSR/Russia.

Here the main advance is not the Mars probe's instruments (may be 15kg total wt), it is the spacecraft-building and its operations capabilities...

PSLV-C25 (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) rocket will place the mass orbitor spacecraft in earth orbit...The spacecraft's dry mass is planned to be 500 kg, and it will carry 850 kg of propellant and oxidiser that is total 1350kg... Rest of the travell is by this spacecraft.... This spacecraft's Mars orbit insertion is planned for 21 September 2014 .... This spacecraft have a payload of 15 kg of five instruments....

Here the payload is not that important as we getting new launch vehicles like GSLV we can increase this... The important advances are
1. Design and realisation of a Mars orbiter(Spacecraft)with a capability to perform Earth bound manoeuvres, cruise phase of 300 days, Mars orbit insertion / capture, and on-orbit phase around Mars.
2. Deep space communication, navigation, mission planning and management.
3. Incorporate autonomous features to handle contingency situations.

So the purpose of the trip is to test India's deep space traveling capability. If it carry a sputnik to mars, it would still be a successful mission. Any study on Mars will be the cherry on the top.

So what is India's plan for this mission besides to beat China on an important check mark?

You wrote something benefit for the people , so before telling Indians you better tell me what benefits does it serve to Chinese people by spending money in manned space mission since most of such researches had already been done by America and USSR/Russia.

I don't think Americans and Russians share everything with the Chinese. So its understandable that they need to discover things for themselves. It look like the Indian mars trip is to test the instruments and deep space capability only. This is just a test trip, not a real trip with real scientific purpose.

So the purpose of the trip is to test India's deep space traveling capability. If it carry a sputnik to mars, it would still be a successful mission. Any study on Mars will be the cherry on the top.

So what is India's plan for this mission besides to beat China on an important check mark?

I don't think Americans and Russians share everything with the Chinese. So its understandable that they need to discover things for themselves. It look like the Indian mars trip is to test the instruments and deep space capability only. This is just a test trip, not a real trip with real scientific purpose.

You need to know how to add before commenting on these things

Back
Top Bottom