What's new

India Has No Money To Pay For C-130J Hercules Aircraft: Reports

sounds reasonable and achievable too .. i also think Pakistan must have 100+ F-16s with blk 52, and 150 JFT along with some mirage and F-7p's , we wont need any new platform till 2018
Thats right. 250-300 4th generation aircrafts along with 50-100 3rd generation aircrafts(F-7pgs and newer mirages) for PAF is a big deal in defence world and no one can take lightly.

Thats right. 250-300 4th generation aircrafts along with 50-100 3rd generation aircrafts(F-7pgs and newer mirages) for PAF is a big deal in defence world and no one can take lightly.
--
250-300 4th generation aircrafts possible for PAF in next 2-3 yrs?

Why not just spend from next years allocation?
It is not permitted.

@Topic this isn't really news- the A330 MRTT, AH-64E, CH-47F, ULH M777, follow-on 2 Phalcon AWACS and Rafale were all plagued by this very issue at the end of the last financial year i.e. no capital expenditure funds left for the FY2013-14 that ended on 31st March 2014.

The general elections complicated matters and pushed back the signing of a lot of these deals that would have occurred in April/May this year.

Once the new govt in settled in and they make their budget in a few weeks time you will see a LOT of deals being signed.

The crazy part is that before 2013/12 the defence forces were returning a HUGE amount of their capital expenditure budgets to the MoD as they had failed to spend them and that even last year the MoD allowed the Indian Mil to use the unspent funds from their Cap Ex account to pay for day to day expenditure.

well why not reducing the numbers of planes by buying more advance fighters like Rafale but in less numbers ?
whats your stand on this ?
Not going to happen. The IAF today has a sanctioned strength of 42 fighter SQDs that it aims to meet by 2022-5 and then subsequently aims to expand to 50 fighter SQDs by 2030. The IAF isn't interested in downsizing it's fighter fleet, rather the opposite in fact.

This will hurt India's defense establishment on the long run if they no-money policy keeps going that way, with this deal, the Rafale, and what not.
It's a one-off issue relating to the FY2013-14 that will be addressed in the next 12 months. Nothing that will affect India's long-term defence establishment in any way.

well why not reducing the numbers of planes by buying more advance fighters like Rafale but in less numbers ?
Indian force equipment is under strength by a huge margin, and the manpower is probably more than needed to maintain current strength projection.
Indian air fleet with an exception of midlife of mig21's has been extremely lacking in needed quantity of state of the art platform for a long time.... Even at today's projection, the mirage 2k5 and Mig29 sqdns are understrength by half of what it is needed. LCA mk2 hopefully will bridge that gap from the medium tech/medium range end and rafale from high tech /long endurance end. Just as other areas like rocket arty, regular arty, Battlefield missiles, Light tanks, Recce observation anti tank regiments, Missile boats, Destroyer forces, Anti sub corvettes, and d/e Submarine fleet are at half or quarter strength of what is needed to protect indian interests in Indian sphere of influence.

It's a one-off issue relating to the FY2013-14 that will be addressed in the next 12 months. Nothing that will affect India's long-term defence establishment in any way.

I hope so....

Every time we hear about a new deal, we hear the same tone.

ndia’s financial woes have been so severe that the Ministry of Defense did not have enough money to pay the "first full instalment" of the $1.01 billion deal to buy six additional C-130J Super Hercules aircraft last December, the Times of India reports.
And with several nearly-finalized deals queued for the new government, the MoD has requested a 25% hike in budget. Besides the long-pending $20 billion MMRCA deal, procurements of 22 Apache attack helicopters (around $1.4 billion), 15 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters (around $1 billion), and 145 M-777 ultra-light howitzers ($885 million) will be on defense minister Arun Jaitley’s plate.
According to the interim budget for 2014-15, the defense outlay was set at $37 billion with $22 billion set aside for revenue expenditure while $15 billion for new weapons, sensors and platforms.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to make a decision on a wide range of issues, ranging from recommendations of the Naresh Chandra task force on higher defence reforms to the creation of three new tri-Service commands for space, cyber and special forces, according to the Times of India.
The action plan's underlying message, however, is that existing funds are proving grossly inadequate to ensure the country's war machinery is kept fighting fit, the report said. Leave alone the dwindling capital budget for new acquisitions, the defence establishment is "running quite short" of even revenue expenditure to "properly maintain" existing or new weapon systems with sufficient spares.
"The major chunk of the capital outlay is being eaten up by committed liabilities and instalments for earlier acquisitions. This backlog will continue for a few years. It has been made clear that either the budget should be hiked or the new acquisitions should be delayed," a source was quoted as saying by the newspaper.

India Has No Money To Pay For C-130J Hercules Aircraft: Reports
super-her_1401278252.jpg
lol blackmailing shurun.

I hope so....

Every time we hear about a new deal, we hear the same tone.
Really? I don't get this impression at all........

Maybe you've only been following Indian defence for a short while? Most of the time it isn't finances that are the issue.

The Mig 21`s are meant to be replaced by the Tejas. Both are very similar in class and role.

The Rafales are meant to replace the jaguars and Mig 27s.

meanwhile.......

Defence ministry seeks 25% hike in budget - The Times of India

Defence Budget: Rs 224,000 crore (around $36 billion). The 10% hike over 2013-2014 outlay of Rs 203,672 crore just covers inflation

Revenue Expenditure (day-to-day costs and salaries): Rs 134,412 crore

Capital Expenditure (new acquisitions): Rs 89,588 crore

It's just 1.74% of projected GDP, the lowest such figure in over three decades. Experts for long have been demanding 3% to cater for the twin threat perception from China and Pakistan, both of whom spend well close to 3% on defence.

Da fuq????1.74%??I was having an impression that we were allocating nearly 3% of our GDP.

Da fuq????1.74%??I was having an impression that we were allocating nearly 3% of our GDP.
Nope, it has always been around the 2% mark. 3% is too high for a nation like India to spend on defence at this current time. Has dipped below 2% a number of times in the past few years.

The Mig 21`s are meant to be replaced by the Tejas. Both are very similar in class and role.

The Rafales are meant to replace the jaguars and Mig 27s.

If I'm not wrong,India isn't going for some dedicated interceptor,which Mig-21 is.Tejas is not in "Same Class" as it is a Multirole fighter jet,though Light Jet.

same goes for Rafale,which is an "Omnirole" fighter jet,having very best capability of Ground attack and Air to Air,as well as recon and other capabilities.so we can't possibly say which is going to replace which role.also,as some members suggest,we're not even replacing them according to head count.which some 100 Mig-21 would be capable of,can be replaced with some,say 50-60 Tejas as all these jets are multi time capable than previous gen jets.

when these jets will start coming and older gen jets will be retired,all jets will be capable of ground attack,air to air and other forms of attacks and recon.India will not have any manned fighter jet for "Specific Role".they'll all acomplish some wide variety of tasks like.....

• Air-defence / air-superiority,
  • Reconnaissance,
  • Close air support,
  • Air-to-ground precision strike / interdiction,
  • Anti-ship attacks,
  • Nuclear deterrence,
  • buddy-buddy refuelling.

don't know if Tejas will have nuclear and Buddy Refuelling capability though.

Really? I don't get this impression at all........

Maybe you've only been following Indian defence for a short while? Most of the time it isn't finances that are the issue.

I hope that I'm wrong and you're right.

At the end of the day, I have no doubt whatsoever that India is vying to enhance its defensive, offensive capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom