What's new

India far more successful in bridging Urban-Rural divide than China.

insas91

Reaction score
India far more successful in bridging Urban-Rural divide than China.

by John Lee​

In 2006, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asked what Mumbai could learn from Shanghai? Both these giants will defy the economic malaise in Western economies and are likely grow at more than 7 per cent in 2009. But that is where the comparison should end. China’s performance has captured the world’s attention over the last three decades. It is common to ask whether India can follow in China’s footsteps. But contrary to the popular hype, it is time for Beijing to learn from New Delhi.

Since the global fall in exports, Beijing is building its way out of an economic slump — roads, ports, railways — name anything big and they’re likely to be building it. But India’s approach has been different. Indians, including the poor, are looking to consume their way towards further growth. Sure, the demand for handbags, air travel and fine dining in Mumbai has collapsed but the real indicator of economic progress in developing countries is how the poor are getting along. In terms of poverty alleviation, China had a head start. It began free-market reforms in 1978 while India only started on its current journey in the early 1990s. But since the turn of the century, India is rapidly improving while China is getting worse.

China and India have something in common: half of the people in China and two-thirds in India still live in rural areas. That means about 700 million people in each country, most of whom remain poor. Progress in rural areas is a strong indicator of overall economic progress in developing countries. And this is where the paths of both China and India are diverging.

In China, the urban-rural income ratio was 1.8 times in the mid-1980s, 2.4 times in the mid-1990s, 2.9 times in 2001, and now around 3.5 times. The 1980s was a golden period for China’s poor. Over 80 per cent of the poverty reduction that has taken place in China occurred during the first ten years of reform (1978-1988). Although per capita incomes have risen since then, an estimated 400 million people have seen their net incomes decline over the past ten years. Despite the decades of spectacular growth, absolute poverty as well as illiteracy have actually doubled since 2000. In India, both these things have halved.

Although beginning from a lower base, it has been a different story for India. The urban-rural income gap has been slowly, but steadily, declining since the early 1990s. Over the past decade, economic growth in rural India has outpaced growth in urban areas by almost 40 per cent. Rural India now accounts for half of the country’s GDP, rising from 41 per cent in 1982 and 46 per cent in 1993. Importantly, agriculture in rural India now accounts for only half of rural GDP and is falling.

Agriculture was responsible for around 72 per cent and 64 per cent of rural GDP in the 1970s and 1980s, respectively. This means the development of a balanced economy is occurring in rural India, with rapid growth in non-farm sectors such as manufacturing and services. Unlike in China’s already crowded cities, rural Indians do not have to migrate to urban areas to earn a better living.

The divergent path of these two developing giants is also demonstrated by the role of domestic consumption in the economy. In China, domestic consumption, as a proportion of GDP, has fallen from around 60 per cent in the 1980s to 35 per cent currently — the lowest for any major economy in the world. The Chinese ‘economic miracle’ is depending more and more on exports and State-led fixed investment. Even Beijing consistently admits that this is an unbalanced and unsustainable strategy.

Moreover, depressed levels of consumption (and correspondingly high levels of savings) by the citizenry of a still poor country means that growth is uneven and benefiting the relative few. In contrast, domestic consumption makes up more than two-thirds of the Indian economy. India has a lot of catching up to do but its poor are rising with the tide, unlike China.

China’s emphasis on State-led fixed-investment growth in urban areas has exacerbated inequality in China and heavily favours a relatively small number of well-placed insiders
. It was a deliberate decision taken after the Tiananmen protests in 1989 in an attempt by the State to retake control of the economy. Rural China was the heart of private, entrepreneurial progress when reforms began in 1978. Mean household incomes were rising with the tide. Prior to Tiananmen, growth in investment by the private sector in rural China was growing at 20 per cent. After Tiananmen, it dropped to 7 per cent. Hundreds of millions of Chinese have since largely missed out on the fruits of the country’s spectacular growth.

The Chinese and Indian development models are not actually in competition — that is more a media obsession. But magnificent as Shanghai now is, its shiny buildings have been built on the back of the savings of China’s peasants who are forced to deposit these in state-owned banks and receive little in return. In contrast, India started its reforms 15 years later than China but is quietly and gradually building its base. Now that Prime Minister Singh is well into his second term, he will do well to reject the dangerous appeal of the Chinese approach.

John Lee is a foreign policy fellow at the Centre for Independent Studies in Sydney, and a visiting scholar at the Hudson Institute in Washington

Don?t bridge this difference- Hindustan Times

great job ,india,the world is cheering ,india is far more successful in every part than china,but china is still developing country, can't you just talk about yourself,our media barely report india,just leave us alone,enjoy every success you get,you don't have to compare india to a developing country everyday,compare india to US ,since you enjoy watching CNN so much

Last edited:
great job ,india,the world is cheering ,india is far more successful in every part than china,but china is still developing country, can't you just talk about yourself,our media barely report india,just leave us alone,enjoy every success you get,you don't have to compare india to a developing country everyday,compare india to US ,since you enjoy watching CNN so much

the article was not made by an indian..........it was by a guy from australia .......cant help if others compare :yahoo:

Congratulations, India, an Australian write a article about better india

India's growing rural-urban divide

By Barnaby Phillips in Maharashtra, western India

The government says it wants to develop the countryside in order to create jobs and income [AFP]

Underneath the blazing midday sun, Kusum Thakur stands on her small patch of land and points her finger angrily down toward the earth.

"This land is like my mother, I can't sell it, what else would I do? I've worked on it day and night, it's my life and soul."

She is a formidable woman, passionate and loud. Her family has grown rice here for generations but now she is being offered money by the government to sell the land for a proposed industrial scheme.

Special report

The area her land is on, in Maharashtra state in western India, has been earmarked by the government for inclusion in one of the Special Economic Zones (Sez), where companies are given financial incentives to build factories and other infrastructure.

The government argues that this will create jobs and generate income in areas which lie beyond the cities, but Thakur sees it differently.

She says that other farmers have sold their land, sometimes under pressure, only to spend the money on alcohol or a car, which subsequently breaks down.

"So how do they survive now?" she asks.

Thakur's passionate objections are being echoed in hundreds of villages and towns across rural India, where other Sez are being established.

The ongoing debate illustrates the gap in perceptions between urban and rural India.

Left behind

India's economy has boomed in the past 15 years, but in many parts of the countryside that has made little difference.

In the cities, the manufacturing and services industries have grown by about 10 per cent a year in recent years, whereas agriculture has lagged far behind with a growth rate of just over 2 per cent.

Of course, it is difficult to generalise about a country as diverse as India, and there are some signs of new rural prosperity, such as increased sales of mobile phones.

But, in many places, villagers still feel they have been left behind.

Urban-rural divide

A number of economists, concerned by this growing gulf between city and countryside, have urged successive Indian governments to remove water, electricity, fertiliser, wheat and rice subsidies in rural areas.

They argue that these subsidies tend to only benefit wealthier farmers, and that the whole system has been corrupted.

However, and contrary to the advice of most free-market experts, the current government (led by the Indian National Congress Party) enacted a flagship piece of legislation in an attempt to reduce poverty by increasing government spending.

The legislation, known as the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) of 2005, is staggering in its ambition. It guarantees every rural household at least 100 days of work a year, and is intended to apply to the whole country by the end of 2009.

Al Jazeera travelled to the parched tribal lands of the Thane district, north of Mumbai, to see NREGA in action.

We came across dozens of men and women building stone walls along the contour line of a hill under the supervision of a forest ranger. The project is intended to stop soil erosion once the monsoon rains hit this area.

Rural vote

Many villagers say they only see politicians at election time
Atmaram Janu paused from this tiring work to say that he was grateful for his job.

Like so many rural Indians, he owns a tiny patch of land, so the extra cash he earns here (equivalent to between $1 and $2 a day) makes all the difference.

But Atmaram remains deeply suspicious of politicians.

"What do I think of them?" he asks rhetorically.

"Nothing! They come here and they say, 'come vote, come vote!' and they hand out money; 500 rupees ($10), 200, 100, and then they go away again. I don't want to see their cars here anymore, they don't really care about us."

It is perhaps too early to draw conclusions about NREGA.

Critics say that it is already providing opportunities for yet more corruption, and that many of the new projects are a pointless drain on public finances.

The Congress Party hopes it will convince many rural Indians to vote for it.

It is one of the great paradoxes of modern India; some two-thirds of the population lives in the countryside, and nobody can win an election without massive rural support.

Yet, so many so many in rural India are seeing no benefits, even as their country moves forward.

Recently I saw a TV program, in which China is aggressively following the policy of moving rural population(farmers) to near Industrial towns. Govt construct cheper housing complex outskirts for these people and ask them to move their as they cannot provide water for irrigation for their land. These folks have no choice but to get employed in factories. I dont know, this may be one of the case!? I think migration is happening in India as well but at slower pace. In my opinion farmer should be encouraged to do better farming instead of working in factory. Govt should provide better facility for farming otherwise countries like china and india will have less and less farm hands and expensive farm goods.

Last edited:
Recently I saw a TV program, in which China is aggressively following the policy of moving rural population(farmers) to near Industrial towns. Govt construct cheper housing complex outskirts for these people and ask them to move their as they cannot provide water for irrigation for their land. These folks have no choice but to get employed in factories. I dont know, this may be one of the case!? I think migration is happening in India as well but at slower pace. In my opinion farmer should be encouraged to do better farming instead of working in factory. Govt should provide better facility for farming otherwise countries like china and india will have less and less farm hands and expensive farm goods.

lucky indian

congratulations on Indian.

all that belong to indian are the best , and all the best belong to S.korean.

trust me ,the could be a superpower in this way,good for india and your friends in the west,ha ha------
you can do everything in your dream

Mr SGSc...who soever u r?....Ppl who dares to dream they hav potential to fulfill their dreams..... Dont laugh time will tell u soon how rapidly we get progress in all sectors......

Mr SGSc...who soever u r?....Ppl who dares to dream they hav potential to fulfill their dreams..... Dont laugh time will tell u soon how rapidly we get progress in all sectors......

why i dont like some of you indians?
when the west said some sh@t,they r so happy like getting a key to be some really truth,and act like a happy new year

and we r not so happy with what we did,if we had done something good ,we will smile and be proud of it.
we will sh@t all big mouth and tell me what you feel with this insas91

and his red ,blue color part had showed what ?
a naive happy kid,why he or she is so happy?the west said something make you happy,and it is the truth ,who care?

and i'am sure that you had got a lot of such good news and what will change? in your freedom of press

so act like a man not a kid. a man should have a dream and fight for it ,but not in this way ,will this action make your india stronger?

as a chinese ,i will pay more attention to USA and Japan why ?they know what we r and what the real truth is in China.i am afraid of such competitiers, they know to make China weak.
but you indians, even you will be a great power -------you just follow what they say ,do what they do,we all know what you will say because we had heard that before. you just a follower of internatinal family,and our Pakistan friends can handle you in a certain way

Last edited:
when the west said some sh@t,they r so happy like getting a key to be some really truth,and act like a happy new year

and we r not so happy with what we did,if we had done something good ,we will smile and be proud of it.

a naive happy kid,why he or she is so happy?the west said something make you happy,and it is the truth ,who care?

and i'am sure that you had got a lot of such good news and what will change? in your freedom of press

so act like a man not a kid. a man should have a dream and fight for it ,but not in this way ,will this action make your india stronger?

*Note to self*
Don't feed the troll
Don't feed the troll
Don't feed the troll
Don't feed the troll

as a chinese ,i will pay more attention to USA and Japan why ?they know what we r and what the real truth is in China.i am afraid of such competitiers, they know to make China weak.
but you indians, even you will be a great power -------you just follow what they say ,do what they do,we all know what you will say because we had heard that before. you just a follower of internatinal family,and our Pakistan friends can handle you in a certain way

seriously man you need serious shyt to sort out .. you can pay attention to whoeva US or japan ... no one gives a damn about it.. the world is talkin abt india and china and hence the comparision .. and yea if you dont like SOME of the indians you really dont have to respond to them .. or you think its some RAW conspiracy to get a reaction out of you.. :hitwall:

Congratulations, India, an Australian write a article about better india

Thanks aimarraul for refusing to be part of another India-China fight.

I can't understand the attitude of some other posters.

In case someone here does not understand economics (Note: I am not an expert myself, but this is macroeconomics 101).
  • There is not a fixed amount of wealth in the world.
  • If China becomes rich, it does not mean India now has less wealth.
  • If China becomes wealthy,in a free trade scenario it makes India more likely to be rich. Not less.
  • Zero sum games apply only to wars and (some) natural resources. Both rarely are big factors in economic development.
  • "Trust" is the most important attribute to development. It could be through financial mechanisms (SSN,national ID cards, credit reports), social (rules on unions, government regulation, legal environment) etc. Starting a China-India fight actually reduces trust and hurts both countries economies and reduces trade.
  • India and China are on different tracks of development.

India is following the way US developed its economy in the early 1900's. Big business barons leading an internally focused, lassaiz-faire capitalism. China is on a mixture of Asian-tiger like government led development and a large dose of monetary intervention.The development of both countries will last a few more years. Shall we argue about something that is beneficial until then?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom