What's new

India concerned about widening trade deficit with China

You didn't understand the thrust of the argument. For a trade war, you must have something substantial to lose. If India-China trade remains skewed, India will really have very little to lose. There are no free lunches. With increasing political friction, it is only a matter of time before there are restrictive practices implemented. China will have to give somewhere, either on trade or diplomatically. There are no permanent free lunches.Period.

So you do believe that chinese products are prone to restrictive practices?

BTW the news about GOI thinking to bring in new manufacturing policy in which every foreign company selling products in India need to have 30 to 40% part of manufacturing process done in India, has something do with "widening deficit"?

30 to 40% of manufacturing process refers to manufacturing process involving single product i.e a typical Sony TV, according to this policy will witness 30 to 40% part of its manufacturing process done in India.
@Bang Galore>

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest import component of India is Crude oil. I have stated enough in this.

Link global inflation and oil prices . Link global inflation and indian inflation .do a regression or correlation of the data. You will change your stance .

I didn't say oil prices don't contribute to inflation. You cannot stop oil imports because they are essential to a country to survive and grow. So wanting reduce oil imports is the stupidest things India can do. Every country faces the same oil prices pretty much.

Do you think precision machine tools or oil rigs are easy to make. Check the magnitude of difference in prices . Even with tariff barriers you will not be able to reduce demand,unless the tariffs are simply exponential in nature.

Not in the high technology sectors like precision tooling,advanced material sciences,oil rig components,Rare earth production facilities etc. India has a lot of catch up to do still and will take a decade or two ,provided India don't end up in a war with China or Pakistan and keep changing geopolitical sides again and again.

My point is simple. Leave aside niche areas(not like oil rigs are a consumer item), the majority of Chinese imports are vulnerable to price increases. Nobody is talking about banning all imports, the discussion is about whether there can be any regulation & I believe there can. That, as I have said before, is not desirable but doable if forced to.

Indian government needs to stop meddling in the economy and reduce taxes, reduce regulations, improve rule of law, improve infrastructure like transportation, telecommunications, power grids, ports, etc.

Read this :China’s pure exporter subsidies: Protectionism by exporting
China

India can do the same. We are just better at playing the game than others.

Indian government needs to stop meddling in the economy and reduce taxes, reduce regulations, improve rule of law, improve infrastructure like transportation, telecommunications, power grids, ports, etc.

This is what I agree with you on...

My point is simple. Leave aside niche areas(not like oil rigs are a consumer item), the majority of Chinese imports are vulnerable to price increases. Nobody is talking about banning all imports, the discussion is about whether there can be any regulation & I believe there can. That, as I have said before, is not desirable but doable if forced to.

Many of the consumer goods you talk about ,use large amounts of REE's (rare earth elements) of which China is a major producer.China too could impose exponential tariffs on sale of REE's to india to make enough of a difference and REE's cannot be easily substituted also.

Increasing prices means many Indian consumers and companies will be priced out of the market.

This is what I agree with you on...

I know, my other points are difficult for people to understand and doesn't want to hear the truth.

I said imports contribute to domestic inflation. If you import a tv from the US, then that tv will be more expensive than the exact tv imported from China. Therefore the import from the US will contribute to higher prices (inflation) in India. Now consumers will have to pay a higher price for the tv from the US than the tv from China. Higher cost of production is passed onto the final consumers.

So yes, since our goods are low priced goods, it keeps domestic inflation in India lower than it would have been had you imported goods from a country like the US.

It's called imported inflation.

The low priced Chinese goods make things affordable to the average Indian consumer which increases consumption in India contributing to your growth.

Be mature about it and learn. Have an open mind to accept different points of view.

This is a much better post without the usual mandatory abuse. However it is still wrong and this is why.

You have given the example of a tv. A simple & straightforward example. An Indian consumer in the market for such a tv, would have the option of a Chinese one or a U.S.one (your choice) Your argument is that since the cost of an American TV would be more than the Chinese one, it would add to inflation. That would only work if the consumer & all such buy those TV's at any price. In the face of increasing prices, there will be a drop in demand. This is true for a whole bunch of products. If you further assume that such a situation opens the market for an Indian alternative, including Chinese , American or any other companies opening an Indian unit, you would see that the situation is not as simple as made out by you. For example Nokia opened an Indian unit for mobiles because they percieved a market, that has now been swamped by phones coming in from China. If for whatever reason, there is a tightening of supply, demand will eventually force a local alternative. Unlike other countries, India's size of population is an asset. Regardless of how rich people are, the Indian market for consumer goods, by sheer number, will always be bigger than most other countries. People cannot buy 10 phones each to make up the number. Eventually that market, as it goes higher up the chain, is not one that can be ignored. In the long term, very few want to leave this market unexplored. The counter example to yours would be in automobiles. India's high duty structure has created a rubust domestic market, including of many international players who even use India as an export base. According to you, such a thing could never happen. Yet it exists. Inspite of China being a bigger player.

Chinese imports do help in giving many Indians access to lower priced products but to take away from that the idea that Chinese imports are simply untouchable would be a very wrong reading.

I'm always open to different points of view, I certainly do not believe that my view is the only one nor that it is necessarily the correct one. It is however difficult to have respect for someone who prances around with a chip on their shoulder.

In short you agree that China has institutionalized unfair trade practices in the name of protecting economic interests.

Many of the consumer goods you talk about ,use large amounts of REE's (rare earth elements) of which China is a major producer.China too could impose exponential tariffs on sale of REE's to india to make enough of a difference and REE's cannot be easily substituted also.

To make enough of a difference where? Difference worth about $80 billion? I don't think so. In any case, how will that work? India would simply import from a 3rd party . Won't work unless China stops all exports.

To make enough of a difference where? Difference worth about $80 billion? I don't think so. In any case, how will that work? India would simply import from a 3rd party . Won't work unless China stops all exports.

80-90% of the REE's are made in China. The only alternatives you might find might be from the russian military stockpiles . Second,the time needed to establish REE production facilities and their support facilities is over 10 years according to US department of Defense.

REE's are not Rare ( don't go by name ). China has a major share in that market because it sells it's rare earth minerals, cheap.

If it raises tariff, mining in other places ( notably India and US ) would become viable.

Back
Top Bottom