What's new

India Asks, Should Food Be a Right for the Poor?

S_O_C_O_M

Reaction score
India Asks, Should Food Be a Right for the Poor?

transparentBG.gif

Meera Damore sat with her severely malnourished son, Pappu, in the Jhabua District government hospital in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.

By JIM YARDLEY
Published: August 8, 2010

JHABUA, India — Inside the drab district hospital, where dogs patter down the corridors, sniffing for food, Ratan Bhuria’s children are curled together in the malnutrition ward, hovering at the edge of starvation. His daughter, Nani, is 4 and weighs 20 pounds. His son, Jogdiya, is 2 and weighs only eight.

Landless and illiterate, drowned by debt, Mr. Bhuria and his ailing children have staggered into the hospital ward after falling through India’s social safety net. They should receive subsidized government food and cooking fuel. They do not. The older children should be enrolled in school and receiving a free daily lunch. They are not. And they are hardly alone: India’s eight poorest states have more people in poverty — an estimated 421 million — than Africa’s 26 poorest nations, one study recently reported.

For the governing Indian National Congress Party, which has staked its political fortunes on appealing to the poor, this persistent inability to make government work for people like Mr. Bhuria has set off an ideological debate over a question that once would have been unthinkable in India: Should the country begin to unshackle the poor from the inefficient, decades-old government food distribution system and try something radical, like simply giving out food coupons, or cash?

The rethinking is being prodded by a potentially sweeping proposal that has divided the Congress Party. Its president, Sonia Gandhi, is pushing to create a constitutional right to food and expand the existing entitlement so that every Indian family would qualify for a monthly 77-pound bag of grain, as well as sugar and kerosene. Such entitlements have helped the Congress Party win votes, especially in rural areas.

To Ms. Gandhi and many left-leaning social allies, making food a universal right would ensure that people like Mr. Bhuria are not deprived. But many economists and market advocates within the Congress Party believe the delivery system needs to be dismantled, not expanded; they argue that handing out vouchers would liberate the poor from an unwieldy government apparatus and let them buy what they please, where they please.

“The question is whether there is a role for the market in the delivery of social programs,” said Bharat Ramaswami, a rural economist at the Indian Statistical Institute. “This is a big issue: Can you harness the market?”

India’s ability, or inability, in coming decades to improve the lives of the poor will very likely determine if it becomes a global economic power, and a regional rival to China, or if it continues to be compared with Africa in poverty surveys.

India vanquished food shortages during the 1960s with the Green Revolution, which introduced high-yield grains and fertilizers and expanded irrigation, and the country has had one of the world’s fastest-growing economies during the past decade. But its poverty and hunger indexes remain dismal, with roughly 42 percent of all Indian children under the age of 5 being underweight.

The food system has existed for more than half a century and has become riddled with corruption and inefficiency. Studies show that 70 percent of a roughly $12 billion budget is wasted, stolen or absorbed by bureaucratic and transportation costs. Ms. Gandhi’s proposal, still far from becoming law, has been scaled back, for now, so that universal eligibility would initially be introduced only in the country’s 200 poorest districts, including here in Jhabua, at the western edge of the state of Madhya Pradesh.

With some of the highest levels of poverty and child malnutrition in the world, Madhya Pradesh underscores the need for change in the food system. Earlier this year, the official overseeing the state’s child development programs was arrested on charges of stealing money. In Jhabua, local news media recently reported a spate of child deaths linked to malnutrition in several villages. Investigators later discovered 3,500 fake food ration booklets in the district, believed to have been issued by low-level officials for themselves and their friends.

Inside the district hospital, Mr. Bhuria said he had applied three times for a food ration card, but the clerk had failed to produce one.

“Every time he would say, ‘We will do it, we will do it,’ ” Mr. Bhuria recalled. “But he never did.”

A farmer, Mr. Bhuria fell into deep debt six years ago after he mortgaged his land for a loan of 150,000 rupees, or about $3,200. Like most people in the district, Mr. Bhuria is a Bhil, a member of a minority group whose customs call for the family of the groom to pay a “bride price” before a wedding. Mr. Bhuria spent most of his loan on his brother’s wedding and was left landless, yet he and his wife kept having children. They now have six.

He and his wife migrated with their children to work as day laborers in the neighboring state of Gujarat. Working in Gujarat is common for farmers from Jhabua, but since none can use their ration booklets outside their home villages, they struggle to feed their families. When migrants returned to plant their fields in July, the malnutrition wards began to fill up at the district hospital.

“This is a cycle,” said Dr. I. S. Chauhan, who oversees the wards. “The mother is also malnourished. And they are migrant workers. They work all day and can’t care for their children.”

Moneylenders are common across rural India, often providing loans at extortionate rates. Some farmers hand over food booklets as collateral. Sitting in a small shop, Salim Khan said people approach him for loans when a child is sick or if they need cash to travel for migrant work.

“Until they repay me,” he said, “I keep their ration card.”

He uses the cards to buy grain at government Fair Price Shops at the subsidized rate of about 2 rupees, or 4 cents, a kilogram. He resells it on the open market for six times as much. The margin represents interest on the loan. He has held the ration cards of some migrants for seven years. “Sometimes I’ll have 50 cards,” he said. “Sometimes I’ll have 100 or 150. It’s not just me. Other lenders do this, too.”

He said he was willing to lend slightly more money to the most destitute because their yellow ration booklets made him eligible for the full 77 pounds of grain, the most available in a tiered rationing system. “The yellow ones are best for me,” he said.

This is just one of the illegalities that permeate the system, according to people in Jhabua. Bribery is also common; government inspectors are known to extort monthly payments from the clerks who sell the subsidized grain. Some clerks pay small bribes to local officials to get their jobs or keep them. In turn, moneylenders slip money to clerks to let them use the ration cards to collect the subsidized grain, sugar and fuel.

In a cavernous government warehouse, bags of grain are stacked almost 15 feet high, awaiting trucks to carry loads to different Fair Price Shops. R. K. Pandey, the manager, blamed local men for the persistent malnutrition in the district, saying they often sell the subsidized wheat on the open market and buy alcohol. He also noted that the Bhil population favored corn, not wheat, so besides buying alcohol, they also sell the grain to buy corn.

Efforts are under way to reform the national system. Officials in the state of Chhattisgarh have curbed corruption by tracking grain shipments on computers, so that officials cannot steal and resell it.

Many social advocates, suspicious of market solutions, say that such reforms prove that the system can be improved. But pro-market advocates say that issuing either food coupons or direct payments would circumvent much of the corruption and allow recipients more mobility and freedom of choice. They point to the eventual creation of a new national identity system — in which every person will have a number — as a tool that can make such direct benefits possible.

These sorts of debates seem like abstractions in much of Jhabua, where poverty and hunger are twinned. At the malnutrition ward, Dr. Chauhan said that Jogdiya, the tiny 2-year-old, had pneumonia, diarrhea and possibly tuberculosis. His health had been steadily deteriorating in recent weeks, but his father, Mr. Bhuria, had no money for either food or medicine. He had gone to Gujarat in mid-July in search of migrant work but then quickly returned after Jogdiya and Nani became sicker. A relative had warned him not to go, saying his children were too sick.

But he had felt he had no choice. “We didn’t have anything to eat,” he had said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/world/asia/09food.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&src=mv

What's this about "ration cards" -- Why are these necessary?

The food system has existed for more than half a century and has become riddled with corruption and inefficiency. Studies show that 70 percent of a roughly $12 billion budget is wasted, stolen or absorbed by bureaucratic and transportation costs

But why does it continue to exist?

Ms. Gandhi’s proposal, still far from becoming law, has been scaled back, for now, so that universal eligibility would initially be introduced only in the country’s 200 poorest districts, including here in Jhabua, at the western edge of the state of Madhya Pradesh

So why is Mrs. Gandhi's proposal any different from creating yet another bureaucracy?

See, Indian has no problems - the thead is not about islam and Pakistan, therefore no Indian, not even the false flag types, playing more catholic than the pope.

India’s ability, or inability, in coming decades to improve the lives of the poor will very likely determine if it becomes a global economic power, and a regional rival to China, or if it continues to be compared with Africa in poverty surveys

lo ji - Just when they were going to cold start our Pakistani behinds - and build roads and dams and do assorted "development" in Afghanistan, buy hundreds of aircraft, tens of ship and submarines - aa qui huvay?

I guess China will have to wait - or what?

:undecided:

See, Indian has no problems - the thead is not about islam and Pakistan, therefore no Indian, not even the false flag types, playing more catholic than the pope.
What? Could you be a little less (taking a cue from another thread :) )cryptic?

lo ji - Just when they were going to cold start our Pakistani behinds - and build roads and dams and do assorted "development" in Afghanistan, buy hundreds of aircraft, tens of ship and submarines - aa qui huvay?

I guess China will have to wait - or what?

:undecided:

Your apparent glee in India's woes aside, this is a problem. The corruption in the system is the primary culprit. And, I might be hanged for saying this, but I'd much rather have GoI working on clearing our internal mess - economic or political, rather than playing good Samaritan (or evil Rasputin, if you're a Pakistani) in Afghanistan.

I derive no glee from the problems of the poor anywhere - but I do derive satisfaction from my analysis of the difference between Pakistani and Indian posters - Pakistani posters love to be critical and discuss problems - the forum is full of these threads -- the Indian on this forum, at least, seem to want to escape reality, they inhabit an India where there are no problems and of course all problems have to do with Islam and Pakistan -- So yes, I did derive satisfaction from being correct in my understanding. Is that wrong?

Going by the various threads, the Indian is spending billion in "development" work in Afghanistan -- come on, "yaar", can't you spare a dime for these, they are Indian not Afghan?

And with a larger number of poor than Africa? in just 12 states?

See, if you Indian simply related on a human level, you would not have to feel "humiliated" by the truth -- it's the truth dufus, there is no win or lose - it's just the truth - These are human beings we as Pakistanis can relate to, shoot, we may even be related to them! So, no, no glee in Indias problems -- but yes, glee, that those who come here selling bollywood BS as if real, should find the dream so rudely demolished.

Anyway back to the topic -- I really don't understand the ration book business - first of all, why is it still in use?

And is or ought food be a right? Since when? You work you eat, that's the Asiaian way - or am I way wrong on this?

Should Food Be a Right for the Poor?
A:Yes
Only when the following conditions have been met
1.Improve efficiency of our agricultural output,
Its true that post Green revolution increased the productivity,but when it comes to efficiency we are bad,considering the fact most of the farmers use outdated farming practices like Subsistence farming
Also Agricultural engineering should be given importance as a good course in colleges,only here we equate farming with agricultural engineering unlike in some developed countries like New Zealand or Australia.
Concept of micro-financing can also help reduce the rate of farmer suicides.Improvement in irrigation system by depending on rivers or canals rather than monsoon.

2.Reduction in the distribution hierarchy i.e lowering the bureaucracy involved we can have a good check on the corruption involved.And eventually make rural administration easier.

3.Considering the concept of water-shed development,this where our satellites will come into the picture.

4.Some rigid corruption checking or reduction schemes for those 8 states or any effort is all in vain.

5.Inclusive developmentWhen we have a development plan for the rural or Tribal people.We must take consideration into their local talents and occupation for example I remember some specific village people in India,who were good at handling snakes,hence a snake farm was made and Venom extracted from it(very expensive component in making anti-venom)brought prosperity to them.

Many more too,if someone can add.

If these things are not addressed then we will continue to top poverty and malnutrition charts for a long long time.Demands for food for the poor,or free electricity for the poor etc will only be a political stunts to play vote-banks politics by exploiting the poor.

If issues like this continue to remain unsolved despite Congress's "Am Adami" policies then they can expect a defeat in the next polls.

I hope this amateurish attempt to get some reasons was good.

Last edited:
Substanial farming?? I take it you mean subsistence farming?

BUt if it's true that the majority of the population lives int he villages, and now he, the farmer, can't have his small farm - what's he to do? It might mean industrialization on a huge scale, big enough to pull industry to the villages - is this possible? Has it been done successfully elsewhere?

What is Water shed development?

But please before we go further - India progressed substantially when it liberalized, when it privatized - because private business and competition in the economy created efficiencies and RS -- So why propose a different model for the rural economy? Why lock them up in more "govt schemes"?

Food a Right? Exactly why? I would have thought you would argue WORK as a right

The Indian does not want, I think and hope, to go from being a serf of the thakur to the serf of the government -- no one wants that - he wants opportunity to make it better for his family -- I would have thought.

At least India recognizes there's an issue with PDS(public distribution system). They are working towards rectifying it by providing an ID card (UIDAI) to all BPL families. So, the problem with bureaucracy will no longer be there after 3 years from now.

Also, India doing a lot to empower people. India has in last 5 years passed RTI,RTE,now RTF. They are giving a lot of incentives to encourage parents to send their children to schools like providing free lunch.

I remember such incentives were given in Andhra Pradesh about 10 years ago. Right now, andhra pradesh alone has 668 engineering colleges. They all get filled up with students. By 2015, state expected to have 1000 engineering colleges.

India currently is at the verge of transformation. With more reforms and empowerment India should be around $4-5 trillion econmy by 2020.

Last edited:

BUt if it's true that the majority of the population lives int he villages, and now he, the farmer, can't have his small farm - what's he to do? It might mean industrialization on a huge scale, big enough to pull industry to the villages - is this possible? Has it been done successfully elsewhere?

But please before we go further - India progressed substantially when it liberalized, when it privatized - because private business and competition in the economy created efficiencies and RS -- So why propose a different model for the rural economy? Why lock them up in more "govt schemes"?

The Indian does not want, I think and hope, to go from being a serf of the thakur to the serf of the government -- no one wants that - he wants opportunity to make it better for his family -- I would have thought.

Alright, nobody is stopping private sector from getting into rural areas. It's just that rural india does not provide a feasible business plan for major corporations to invest heavily there. So, GOI has to step in. India being a democracy cannot let people die of hunger.

So subsidizing food for BPL families for now, until manufacturing sector develops to accommodate them, is not such a bad idea. I don't think we'll spending much on this act beyond 2020.

Corrected.

I am stating about Subsistence farming from the perspective of farmers in my village.These farmers used to sell about 20-40% of the harvest and store the rest into gunny-bags and put them inside storage chambers,hoping that they can keep his family have no problem with food for atleast a year.But these chambers are obviously unsuitable for holding grains unspoiled for that long,hence his family goes hungry,also his plans of using the money from selling
those stored grains to clear off his debts taken to purchase fertilizers and pesticides go down into the drain,finally riddled with debt he chooses to suicide.:frown:

I hope this link helps

WDD-GOK

Its true areas under private administration has flourished ,but some private firms do the opposite,they exploit the locals by depriving them of their land etc.

When those 5 points are addressed the conditions of the poor will improve and they"ll hardly need any assistance.i.e food as a right will be implied to only a small section of the population.

Agreed!:tup:
One of the fueling factors for Maoism in the country

But please before we go further - India progressed substantially when it liberalized, when it privatized - because private business and competition in the economy created efficiencies and RS -- So why propose a different model for the rural economy? Why lock them up in more "govt schemes"?Food a Right? Exactly why? I would have thought you would argue WORK as a right

Very good questions. This is actually a very complicated problem though. There are very different Indias and what holds good in some places is not true elsewhere. I'm going to give a few examples of how the situation is in the city & the state I live in is. We keep hearing of unemployment & yet there is a labour shortage in the city of Bangalore. Almost all industries face some shortage of labour. According to a friend of mine, the situation in rural areas is no better. He hails from the district of coorg where his family has some small coffee plantations. The village he grew up in has seen all the young men leave to migrate to the cities. There are very few left to help harvest the crop. So few, that they have had to depend on workers from the state of Tamil Nadu for the last few years. That too has changed recently because the government there now offers a substantial amount of rice & pulses (think it's enough to last a family for a month)at a very low rate(<Rs.100/-). That & a free colour television:P. Not many from that state are migrating in search of work anymore:lol:. Workers are now being brought in from Bihar & Orissa & even Bihar has seen less migration in recent years and more people returning back because of increased opportunities there. Yet we know that in some areas including some parts of North Karnataka itself, the picture is very different. That unfortunately is the reality but only of the present. The change that is happening ( & I am not boasting) is immense as opportunities explode in people's faces. In 10-20 years, you might see a very different India than you might have become accustomed to. Some areas will take longer to catch up & some will fall victim to populist politicians but you have the feeling here that we are at the cusp of a major transformation.

You have complained that some Indians are not critical enough(fair enough) but that is (in most cases) the picture that they see & experience. It's extremely difficult to try & hold on to perspective these days. That is why, you might see many Indians getting carried away. It is a more confident India than anything that existed for a very long time.

I derive no glee from the problems of the poor anywhere - but I do derive satisfaction from my analysis of the difference between Pakistani and Indian posters - Pakistani posters love to be critical and discuss problems - the forum is full of these threads -- the Indian on this forum, at least, seem to want to escape reality, they inhabit an India where there are no problems and of course all problems have to do with Islam and Pakistan -- So yes, I did derive satisfaction from being correct in my understanding. Is that wrong?
I disgaree. You judgment is based on your experiences in one particular forum; a very small sample size to come to a conclusion. Indians are critical, just that they choose different topics as compared to the Pakistanis. Terrorism and Pakistan is a problem, so you find Indians talking about it. I can use the escape from reality argument for Pakistanis as well. not many are willing to discuss the Jihad lobby, the effects of radical Islamization and the conspiracy theory mindset of the population. But Pakistanis tend to focus on the politics, Zardari and his corrupt dealings and the evil CIA-RAW-Mossad angle in all things inimical to Pakistan. We aren't very different Indians and Pakistani. And more we try to be different the more we remain the same.

Going by the various threads, the Indian is spending billion in "development" work in Afghanistan -- come on, "yaar", can't you spare a dime for these, they are Indian not Afghan?

And with a larger number of poor than Africa? in just 12 states?
This is where you show a lack of perspective on the issue. The issue isn't money or the lack of it. Its about the people that run the system. It isn't about the food rations for the poor, its about the govt. contractors and agents siphoning it off. The problem is more of policy, implementation and people rather than of resources. And talking about problems, who's to say we cant tackle two at once. That of of reducing our Eastern neighbor's influence and solving our own issues.

And further, I dont want to throw up excuses or be defensive, but the truth is that a lot of these numbers are fudged. Govt. agencies and state govts. show higher numbers to qualify for central and NGO grants. There have been instances in which district officials have shown below poverty line figures that were higher than the entire district's population. I am not saying there are no poor and its all a fake show. There are still substantial number of poor. But the actual number would be much lesser than the one thrown about.

See, if you Indian simply related on a human level, you would not have to feel "humiliated" by the truth -- it's the truth dufus, there is no win or lose - it's just the truth - These are human beings we as Pakistanis can relate to, shoot, we may even be related to them! So, no, no glee in Indias problems -- but yes, glee, that those who come here selling bollywood BS as if real, should find the dream so rudely demolished.

I hope this was answered above.

Anyway back to the topic -- I really don't understand the ration book business - first of all, why is it still in use?

Ration card book is sort of an ID/account book that qualifies a family for essential supplies at subsidized prices from govt run stores. A sort of social benefit scheme. And its still in use because obviously there still are people who need it.

And is or ought food be a right? Since when? You work you eat, that's the Asiaian way - or am I way wrong on this?
You have to understand the context. The govt. is trying to guarantee them food to ensure that the children arent malnourished. They arent guaranteeing them a job or a home. Just food.
But personally, I dont think this is a great step. Rather than alleviate malnourishment it will help the corrupt. Depending on the bureaucracy and using state mediums such as stores would lead to wastage and no real benefit. The govt is much better off providing dole or allowance money to these people and let them use it as they see fit.

They are giving a lot of incentives to encourage parents to send their children to schools like providing free lunch.
I studied at BVBPS BHEL hyderabad and it was besides a Zillaparishad school(Govt school),this school gave its students free 2 pairs of uniform,education,breakfast as well as lunch.My housemaid's son used to study in that school,he'd go to school for only food and sneak out under the fence to come back and help his mom, or do gardening at someother house.Frankly these schools were never productive as neither the parents were interested,nor the children,nor the teachers or Management.Most of these kids discontinued their education or never passed and those who passed out didn't have proper communication skills for jobs :frown:,the only thing they were good at was sports.So i don't have much hopes on these free provision schemes

Right now, andhra pradesh alone has 668 engineering colleges. They all get filled up with students. By 2015, state expected to have 1000 engineering colleges.
Yes AP is certainly good like all other South Indian states,As a Hyderabadi i feel very proud of that fact.But the talk here is about those 8 northern states where most of our population is concentrated,politics,corruption etc,also the poor i.e 421 million poor of India live there i.e 61&#37; of India's poor.Namely UP,Bihar,Rajasthan,MP,West Bengal,Jharkhand,Uttaranchal & Orissa.

India currently is at the verge of transformation. With more reforms and empowerment India should be around $4-5 trillion economy by 2020.
Only if our growth continues to be inclusive.

Very good questions. This is actually a very complicated problem though. There are very different Indias and what holds good in some places is not true elsewhere. I'm going to give a few examples of how the situation is in the city & the state I live in is. We keep hearing of unemployment & yet there is a labour shortage in the city of Bangalore. Almost all industries face some shortage of labour. According to a friend of mine, the situation in rural areas is no better. He hails from the district of coorg where his family has some small coffee plantations. The village he grew up in has seen all the young men leave to migrate to the cities. There are very few left to help harvest the crop. So few, that they have had to depend on workers from the state of Tamil Nadu for the last few years. That too has changed recently because the government there now offers a substantial amount of rice & pulses (think it's enough to last a family for a month)at a very low rate(<Rs.100/-). That & a free colour television:P. Not many from that state are migrating in search of work anymore:lol:. Workers are now being brought in from Bihar & Orissa & even Bihar has seen less migration in recent years and more people returning back because of increased opportunities there. Yet we know that in some areas including some parts of North Karnataka itself, the picture is very different. That unfortunately is the reality but only of the present. The change that is happening ( & I am not boasting) is immense as opportunities explode in people's faces. In 10-20 years, you might see a very different India than you might have become accustomed to. Some areas will take longer to catch up & some will fall victim to populist politicians but you have the feeling here that we are at the cusp of a major transformation.

You have complained that some Indians are not critical enough(fair enough) but that is (in most cases) the picture that they see & experience. It's extremely difficult to try & hold on to perspective these days. That is why, you might see many Indians getting carried away. It is a more confident India than anything that existed for a very long time.

A similar problem is being experienced by Punjab farmers. Labor from Bihar, UP and Bengal has become scarce and pricier as they now have opportunities via NREGA. And even though you earn less through NREGA than you would in a Punjab farm during harvesting and sowing, Rs.100/day in your own village/district is much better than Rs. 200/day a thousand miles away from home.

The end result has been that the cost price of a wheat/rice crop has been pushed up. So the already indebted farmers demand more and the govt raises the Minimum Support Price to satisfy them. Buying the same higher priced rice and distributing it to the same laborers via PDS at a subsidized price, taking in huge losses. So the govt. loses twice - by doling out NREGA cash for less than a hard days labor (creating artificial employment) and by paying a higher price for the foodgrains. It seems like a never ending cycle.

Back
Top Bottom