What's new

India approves $50 billion naval build-up

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
P-8I-2.jpg

India will be spending at least an additional $50 billion for its naval build-up from 2012 to 2017. Outgoing Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma disclosed that the government has granted Acceptance of Necessity (AON) for naval acquisitions worth Rs. 2,73,000 cr (approximately $ 50 billion).
This makes India's naval modernisation programme one of the world's largest naval build-ups. The $50 billion approvals include the acquisition of 49 new warships, in addition to the 46 which are already on order, as part of the Maritime Capabilties Perspective Plan 2012-2017.

The tempo for the build-up has been set by the conclusion of 191 naval contracts worth Rs. 92,069 crore over the last three years, which have also seen the induction of 15 new ships, including top-of-the-line warships like the follow-on to the Talwar class and the indigenously-built Shivalik class destroyers.

"Over the next five years, we expect to induct ships and submarines at an average rate of five platforms per year," Admiral Verma detailed at his farewell press conference in New Delhi, calling upon public and private shipyards in India to scale up production and meet global standards of delivery. 43 of the 46 ships and submarines at present under construction for the Indian Navy are being built at Indian shipyards. Admiral Verma wants delivery of ships in the Delhi class category speeded up to three years.

INS-Shivalik.jpg

The 49 new ships and submarines approved for the Navy include seven more follow-on ships of the Shivalik Class under Project 17-A. These are to be built at both MDL, Mumbai and GRSE, Kolkata. Contracts are likely by the end of the current fiscal. The construction of six more submarines under Project 75 (I) is expected to be green-flagged very soon.

Two mine hunters are to be built in South Korea, and subsequently six more at Goa Shipyards under transfer of technology. RFPs for four LPDs and 16 shallow water anti-submarine warfare ships, two diving support vessels and one survey training ships will be issued in the coming months. Also, contracts for four water-jet FACs to be built at GRSE, Kolkata, and one more training ship to be built at a private shipyard are likely to be concluded during the current fiscal. Options for a Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV) to ensure the safety of submarine operations are under technical evaluation.

In addition to the eight P-8I Long Range Maritime Patrol (LRMR) aircraft due to be inducted starting 2013, eight Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft are also planned for induction. The Indian Navy is also in the market for more Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to further augment its surveillance and reconnaissance capability at sea.

On the rotary wing front, besides the upgrade of the Sea King 42B and Kamov-28 fleets, and new Multi-role Helicopters (MRH) for fleet ships, the Naval Utility Helicopter is also planned for induction by 2016 and the Request for Proposal is imminent.

To drive home the point that India's naval build-up is firmly on track, Admiral Verma pointed out that Navy has fully spent its capital budget over the past three years. The Navy is the only service whose expenditure ratio is loaded in favour of modernisation. "Today, our Capital to Revenue ratio stands at a very healthy ratio of 68:32," the Navy Chief said.

There's also a parallel effort to upgrade and development infrastructure to support the build-up. Phase I of Project Seabird at Karwar was completed last year and the Navy is in the final stages of getting CCS approval for Phase IIA.

http://www.spsnavalforces.net/news/?id=21&h=India-approves-$50-billion-naval-build-up

2012-2017 is turning out to be an extremely ambitious 5 year plan by govt. Hopefully they are able to deliver.

Just spend 1 bill on developing sub compenents of these ships, so we don't have to import.

IN is no doubt the leader among the armed forces in there drive to modernization:

46 ships on order & 49 more to be ordered, P-8i's, LCA, MMRCA, maybe more mig's, mrmr, helos, hawks, etc.

IN is surely on a role :tup:

P.S. Is there any progress on the P-75I sub front???

IN is no doubt the leader among the armed forces in there drive to modernization:

46 ships on order & 49 more to be ordered, P-8i's, LCA, MMRCA, maybe more mig's, mrmr, helos, hawks, etc.

IN is surely on a role :tup:

P.S. Is there any progress on the P-75I sub front???
IAF is close on their heels- almost every system from missles to fighters, being replaced or upgraded by 2022.

IAF is close on their heels- almost every system from missles to fighters, being replaced or upgraded by 2022.

BUT At least IN has something concrete to show with timely induction of some or the other platforms at least.

IAF and IA only like to beat about the bush and try spitting vertically in the air. No proof of any of their ambitious talks.

Agreed, but $ 50 billion for next 5 years is a huge amount, last i heard IAF claiming some $30 billion for there modernization program for next 5 years (pls correct me if wrong), the procurement budget for the next decade of IN is more than $ 100 billion, making the IN one of the exponentially/fastest growing navy in the world. Also, i think the professional attitude shown by the IN in procurement & also trust in indigenous capability is anytime better than either IAF or IA. The advantage that IN has over IAF/IA is that they have more capital budget than revenue budget.

50 billion USD, must be the largest naval buildup in IOR

BUT At least IN has something concrete to show with timely induction of some or the other platforms at least.

IAF and IA only like to beat about the bush and try spitting vertically in the air. No proof of any of their ambitious talks.

And, IN trusts indigenous tech much more than IAF which craves for foreign maal and has been making life difficult for the LCA developers.

Economy will recover. What we need to do is make the right kinds of investments. And open up our economy.

We need to look forward to the 21st century and build up accordingly. The armed forces are in the right direction in this respect. I would infact support more military spending.

I found this article:

http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories546.htm

Its a tad old though.

With economy slow down i don't think we are in a position to spend this kind of money .

India's economy: A Bric hits the wall | The Economist

That's a temporary roadblock mate, as the article clearly states that the GOI has already approved the IN's induction plans for next 5 years, if money would have been the issue, it wouldn't have approved the plans on the first place, plus the recent measures taken by the govt. & the rupee appreciation will bring back the Indian GDP growth rate to 7-8% mark, besides acc. to the SIPRI figures for 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures), India already spend close to $48 billion on defence, a trend which only will rise in the years to come, so money will never be an issue for the modernization of the armed forces.

50 billion USD, must be the largest naval buildup in IOR

Undoubtedly, IN is now directly competing with the PLAN, & is in the process of becoming the world's top 3/4th navy in the years to come, as far as IOR is concerned no regional navy can stand up to IN currently & these plans will only increase the gap further.

With economy slow down i don't think we are in a position to spend this kind of money .

India's economy: A Bric hits the wall | The Economist

This is purely short term. Growth FY2012 will be 5%+, FY2013 6.5% and then from FY2014 it will be back to 7-8% growth. Plans like these need to take the long-term view. Anyway defence spending is unlikely to cross the 2% of GDP so this is nothing.

That's a temporary roadblock mate, as the article clearly states that the GOI has already approved the IN's induction plans for next 5 years, if money would have been the issue, it wouldn't have approved the plans on the first place, plus the recent measures taken by the govt. & the rupee appreciation will bring back the Indian GDP growth rate to 7-8% mark, besides acc. to the SIPRI figures for 2012 (List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), India already spend close to $48 billion on defence, a trend which only will rise in the years to come, so money will never be an issue for the modernization of the armed forces.

Undoubtedly, IN is now directly competing with the PLAN, & is in the process of becoming the world's top 3/4th navy in the years to come, as far as IOR is concerned no regional navy can stand up to IN currently & these plans will only increase the gap further.

IOR is vitally important, if India is to lesson the Chinese influence in our neighborhood

Back
Top Bottom