What's new

India and her Muslims

Guys I am minority from India.i am a christian and let me tell you most of these news are just lies...yes there are some communal riots and problems happened but most of the guys are not cruel as you guys think..i personally has lots of Hindus and Muslims as friends and i am sure that lots of my Indian brothers has too...when i read the posting about dalit massacre and discrimination among Muslims all over India i felt very surprised..don't blame the whole Indians for ignorance and narrow mindedness of some people..In our country we admire Abdul Kalam as ideal leader..Our Bollywood is ruled by three Khans ...and our AR Rehman spread Indian music all over the world..lots of Muslims are famous here in India and they are famous all around the world too..we are a developing country and yes i admit we have our share of problems too..which country doesn't have..US still facing KKK problems and racist issues..Pakistan too having issues with Shias and Sunnis..Chinese also having there share of problems.I am not saying this for trolling or started a flame war..I am just telling you some facts..I hope i didnt hurt any ones emotions

Thanks

Yes we would like to believe the fairytale but see when Gujrat or Orissa take place on an organised level its tell another story.

On the other hand Muslims in India have been pushed to wall since so many decades. Its a reality and one has to accept that discrimination against millions of Muslims can not be washed away by just mentioning Shahrukh khan or few actors or even a Muslim president who's post is just ceremonial

Jana say for a moment we give you the benefit of the doubt and grudgingly agree that Indian Muslims are discriminated against by the rest of "Hindu India"

What's your excuse? When muslims are discriminated against in Muslim Pakistan?

Woh kahte hai na, "Indians and her Muslims" ke baare mein baat karne se pehle "Pakistan and her Muslims" par tanik jor dein.

Uske baad bhi agar kuch self-righteous enthu bacha ho to fir "Pakistan and her Hindus/Christians/Sikhs/" ki ore nazar dauraein.

Khuda hafiz.

Cheers, Doc

Yes we would like to believe the fairytale but see when Gujrat or Orissa take place on an organised level its tell another story.

On the other hand Muslims in India have been pushed to wall since so many decades. Its a reality and one has to accept that discrimination against millions of Muslims can not be washed away by just mentioning Shahrukh khan or few actors or even a Muslim president who's post is just ceremonial

Muslims in India , dalits in india , brahmins in india , marathas in india , sikhs in india , rajputs in india , bangali in india , ARE ALL NDIAN... yYou have NO RIGHT, nor do the bangladesis/illegal bangladesis in inidia has the right to speak for us... speak for yourself Jana... You are a woman, women are suppose to have compassion , which i am afraid isnt seen anywhere in your posts...
do U need to knbow how many sikhs/hindu families come to india every year after torments from your peope??? how many muslim / banglis have moved to pkistan , bangladesh?????? figures speak for themselves... you or I dont have to ....

Jana tell me your country don't have any problems?? every country consists of narrow mined people.Incidents in Gujarat and Orissa are an scare to my Country but it doesn't mean that all Indians are up in arms against Muslims..Muslims have been pushed to wall??? Jana I live in a place where there are lots of Hindus and Muslims..I studied in schools where Hindus ,Muslims and Christians studied together..We don't have an issue about each others religion.and Also we used to celebrate each others festival too..Mainly with alcohol :devil: ..still mouth waters when thinking about mutton biryani my friends mom make :smitten: .I was not mentioning few actors or Abdul Kalam to showoff..these are the few names which both the countries know..there are offcourse lots of Muslims who are famous in Cultural,Political and Every other sector in our country

Indians, the Anti-Muslim, communual black sheeps of Maa Kali ...

The followings are some major Muslim genocidal incidents by sweet talking Malus of IND. Hope the intelligent PAK bros never forget their true faces...

COMMUNAL ANTI-MUSLIM RIOTS:

A - ANDHRA PRADESH

1. Communal Riots in Hyderabad - What the people say: Narendranath, Gorrepati (compiler) Report of a participatory action-research by Andhra Pradesh Lokayan, 1984.

2. Communal riots in Mahaboobnagar town- An investigation report of the 'Hyderabad EKTA' team: Hyderabad EKTA.1985

B - BIHAR

1. PUDR: Bhagalpur Riots, Delhi, April 1990.

2. PUDR: Recalling Bhagalpur - A Report on the aftermath of the 1989 riots, Delhi, February 1996.

C - DELHI

1. PUDR: WALLED CITY RIOTS - A report on the police and communal violence in Delhi 19-24 May 1987, Delhi June 1987.

D - GUJRAT

1. Women And Media Group: The impact of the Ahmedabad disturbances on Women (Report by the Women and Media Group), Bombay, September 1985.

2. Build Documentation Centre: The Shattering of Gujarat, Series 1985, No.2, Bombay, 1985.

3. Surat Riots (After the demolition of Babri Mosque) - Investigation and analysis: Engineer, Irfan, Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, Bombay, 1993.

4. Lest We Forget - Gujarat 2002: Amrita Kumar and Prashun Bhaumik, World Report, New Delhi, 2002.

5. Gujarat 2002: Crime Against Humanity - Volume I (An inquiry into the carnage in Gujarat - List of Incidents and Evidence): Concerned Citizens Tribunal, Mumbai 2002.

6. Gujarat 2002: Crime Against Humanity - Volume II (An inquiry into the carnage in Gujarat - Findings and Recommendations): Concerned Citizens Tribunal, Mumbai 2002.

7. State-Sponsored Carnage in Gujarat: Report of a CPI (M) - AIDWA Delegation, March 2002.

8. Genocide - Gujarat 2002: Communalism Combat, 8 (77-78) March-April 2002.

9. An Overview of the role of print and electronic Media in Baroda during the Gujarat Carnage: PUCL Baroda and Shanti Abhiyan, Vadodara, 5th April 2002.

10. Gujarat Carnage - Victims of the saffron tide: The all-India fact finding team preliminary report on "Genocide" in Gujarat, 27th April 2002.

11. RSS on manage-media drive: K. Balasubrahmanyam. New Delhi, The Pioneer, 12 May 2002.

12. Gujarat - A crime against Humanity: Justice H. Suresh (retd), Combat Law - The Human Rights magazine,1 (1) April-May 2002.

13. PUCL: Violence in Vadodara - A Report, Vadodara, May 2002.

14. PUDR: 'Maaro! Kaapo! Baalo!' - State, Society, and Communalism in Gujarat, Delhi, May 2002.

15. Update Series 8: Message of Gujarat, Calcutta, May 2002.

16. Dateline Godhra: Jyoti Punwani, Nirbhay Bano Andolan, Mumbai, May 2002.

17. A Continuing Crime - The relief and rehabilitation measures, the attitude of the judiciary and police investigation and arrests with regard to the genocide in Gujarat (A Joint Fact Finding Team Report): Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana, Mumbai, May 2002.

18. Sowing Hate And Reaping Violence - The case of Gujarat communal carnage: Asghar Ali Engineer, , Shama Dalwai, and Sandhya Mhatre, Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, July 2002.

19. Troubled Times - Communal fascism arrives: Abinash Lahkar, and Uma Dhanushkodi (Eds), Bangalore, December 2002.

20. Geography and economics of Gujarat's violence: J. Sri Raman, 2002.

21. Gujarat - Laboratory of the Indian Communal-Fascists: Translated by Wilfred from an original Gujarati article by Hiren Gandhi, 2002.

22. Gujarat - Misogny at large: Bina Srinivasan, 2002.

E - KARNATAKA

1. The Flag Without Tears - A report on the Hubli Idgah Maidan Issue: People's Democratic Forum, Bangalore, December 1994.

F - MAHARASHTRA

1. CPDR: The Bombay Bhiwandi Riots (A CPDR Report), Bombay, 1984.

2. Tata Services Limited - Department of Economics & Statistics: Quick Estimates of the total cost of Bombay's riots, Bombay, 29th January 1993.

3. Where to Bombay? (A report of the riots in Bombay): College of Social Work, Bombay, March 1993.

4. The Bombay Riots - The Myths and Realities (A Report by Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana and Committee for the protection of Democratic Rights): Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana and CPDR, Bombay, March 1993.

5. Ekta Samiti: Bombay's Shame - A Report on Bombay Riots, Bombay, April 1993.

6. Salt in the Wounds - Communalism and the State in Bombay (A report by Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana): Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana, Bombay, July 1993.

7. The People's Verdict - An inquiry into the Dec '92 & Jan '93 riots in Bombay by The Indian People's Human Rights Tribunal conducted by Justice S.M. Daud & Justice H. Suresh: IPHRC, Bombay, January 1994.

8. Information Documentation Research and Analysis Kendra: Via Media. Bombay Riots - The Aftermath, 1. (4) Bombay, February 1994.

9. The aftermath of the Marathwada Earthquake (A TUSC Survey): Trade Union Solidarity Committee, Bombay, 1994.

10. English Press Coverage of Srikrishna Commission: Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, Mumbai, 1997.

11. Ekta: Witnesses Speak - A Compilation of evidence produced before the Srikrishna Commission of Inquiry into the December 92 - January 93 Mumbai Riots, Mumbai.

12. Deportations Of Bengali-Speaking Muslims From Mumbai: A Fact Finding report produced by a Joint Team from CPDR (Mumbai), EKTA (Mumbai), and WRAG (Mumbai), Mumbai, August 1998.

13. Justice Denied - Why? - The Srikrishna Commission Report and the Maharashtra Government's response: Bombay Aman Committee, Maktaba Faraan, Mumbai, December 1998.

14. The Srikrishna Commission Report - Too hot to handle: Nirbhay Bano Andolan: Mumbai, 2000.

Malegaon - Anti War Protest Supressed, communal riots provoked: Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana and CPDR, Mumbai, November 2001.

G - UTTAR PRADESH

1. Report to PUCL on Aligarh Riot: Mukundan .C Menon. and Sumanta Banerjee, Delhi, October 1978.

2. Report of Indian People's Human Rights tribunal on Meerut Riots: IPHRC, Meerut, May 1989.

3. PUDR: Forgotten Massacres - A Report on the Aftermath of Meerut 1987-89, Delhi, May 1989.

The followings are some major Muslim genocidal incidents by sweet talking Malus of IND. Hope the intelligent PAK bros never forget their true faces...

COMMUNAL ANTI-MUSLIM RIOTS:

A - ANDHRA PRADESH

1. Communal Riots in Hyderabad - What the people say: Narendranath, Gorrepati (compiler) Report of a participatory action-research by Andhra Pradesh Lokayan, 1984.

2. Communal riots in Mahaboobnagar town- An investigation report of the 'Hyderabad EKTA' team: Hyderabad EKTA.1985

B - BIHAR

1. PUDR: Bhagalpur Riots, Delhi, April 1990.

2. PUDR: Recalling Bhagalpur - A Report on the aftermath of the 1989 riots, Delhi, February 1996.

C - DELHI

1. PUDR: WALLED CITY RIOTS - A report on the police and communal violence in Delhi 19-24 May 1987, Delhi June 1987.

D - GUJRAT

1. Women And Media Group: The impact of the Ahmedabad disturbances on Women (Report by the Women and Media Group), Bombay, September 1985.

2. Build Documentation Centre: The Shattering of Gujarat, Series 1985, No.2, Bombay, 1985.

3. Surat Riots (After the demolition of Babri Mosque) - Investigation and analysis: Engineer, Irfan, Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, Bombay, 1993.

4. Lest We Forget - Gujarat 2002: Amrita Kumar and Prashun Bhaumik, World Report, New Delhi, 2002.

5. Gujarat 2002: Crime Against Humanity - Volume I (An inquiry into the carnage in Gujarat - List of Incidents and Evidence): Concerned Citizens Tribunal, Mumbai 2002.

6. Gujarat 2002: Crime Against Humanity - Volume II (An inquiry into the carnage in Gujarat - Findings and Recommendations): Concerned Citizens Tribunal, Mumbai 2002.

7. State-Sponsored Carnage in Gujarat: Report of a CPI (M) - AIDWA Delegation, March 2002.

8. Genocide - Gujarat 2002: Communalism Combat, 8 (77-78) March-April 2002.

9. An Overview of the role of print and electronic Media in Baroda during the Gujarat Carnage: PUCL Baroda and Shanti Abhiyan, Vadodara, 5th April 2002.

10. Gujarat Carnage - Victims of the saffron tide: The all-India fact finding team preliminary report on "Genocide" in Gujarat, 27th April 2002.

11. RSS on manage-media drive: K. Balasubrahmanyam. New Delhi, The Pioneer, 12 May 2002.

12. Gujarat - A crime against Humanity: Justice H. Suresh (retd), Combat Law - The Human Rights magazine,1 (1) April-May 2002.

13. PUCL: Violence in Vadodara - A Report, Vadodara, May 2002.

14. PUDR: 'Maaro! Kaapo! Baalo!' - State, Society, and Communalism in Gujarat, Delhi, May 2002.

15. Update Series 8: Message of Gujarat, Calcutta, May 2002.

16. Dateline Godhra: Jyoti Punwani, Nirbhay Bano Andolan, Mumbai, May 2002.

17. A Continuing Crime - The relief and rehabilitation measures, the attitude of the judiciary and police investigation and arrests with regard to the genocide in Gujarat (A Joint Fact Finding Team Report): Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana, Mumbai, May 2002.

18. Sowing Hate And Reaping Violence - The case of Gujarat communal carnage: Asghar Ali Engineer, , Shama Dalwai, and Sandhya Mhatre, Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, July 2002.

19. Troubled Times - Communal fascism arrives: Abinash Lahkar, and Uma Dhanushkodi (Eds), Bangalore, December 2002.

20. Geography and economics of Gujarat's violence: J. Sri Raman, 2002.

21. Gujarat - Laboratory of the Indian Communal-Fascists: Translated by Wilfred from an original Gujarati article by Hiren Gandhi, 2002.

22. Gujarat - Misogny at large: Bina Srinivasan, 2002.

E - KARNATAKA

1. The Flag Without Tears - A report on the Hubli Idgah Maidan Issue: People's Democratic Forum, Bangalore, December 1994.

F - MAHARASHTRA

1. CPDR: The Bombay Bhiwandi Riots (A CPDR Report), Bombay, 1984.

2. Tata Services Limited - Department of Economics & Statistics: Quick Estimates of the total cost of Bombay's riots, Bombay, 29th January 1993.

3. Where to Bombay? (A report of the riots in Bombay): College of Social Work, Bombay, March 1993.

4. The Bombay Riots - The Myths and Realities (A Report by Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana and Committee for the protection of Democratic Rights): Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana and CPDR, Bombay, March 1993.

5. Ekta Samiti: Bombay's Shame - A Report on Bombay Riots, Bombay, April 1993.

6. Salt in the Wounds - Communalism and the State in Bombay (A report by Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana): Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana, Bombay, July 1993.

7. The People's Verdict - An inquiry into the Dec '92 & Jan '93 riots in Bombay by The Indian People's Human Rights Tribunal conducted by Justice S.M. Daud & Justice H. Suresh: IPHRC, Bombay, January 1994.

8. Information Documentation Research and Analysis Kendra: Via Media. Bombay Riots - The Aftermath, 1. (4) Bombay, February 1994.

9. The aftermath of the Marathwada Earthquake (A TUSC Survey): Trade Union Solidarity Committee, Bombay, 1994.

10. English Press Coverage of Srikrishna Commission: Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, Mumbai, 1997.

11. Ekta: Witnesses Speak - A Compilation of evidence produced before the Srikrishna Commission of Inquiry into the December 92 - January 93 Mumbai Riots, Mumbai.

12. Deportations Of Bengali-Speaking Muslims From Mumbai: A Fact Finding report produced by a Joint Team from CPDR (Mumbai), EKTA (Mumbai), and WRAG (Mumbai), Mumbai, August 1998.

13. Justice Denied - Why? - The Srikrishna Commission Report and the Maharashtra Government's response: Bombay Aman Committee, Maktaba Faraan, Mumbai, December 1998.

14. The Srikrishna Commission Report - Too hot to handle: Nirbhay Bano Andolan: Mumbai, 2000.

Malegaon - Anti War Protest Supressed, communal riots provoked: Lokshahi Hakk Sangathana and CPDR, Mumbai, November 2001.

G - UTTAR PRADESH

1. Report to PUCL on Aligarh Riot: Mukundan .C Menon. and Sumanta Banerjee, Delhi, October 1978.

2. Report of Indian People's Human Rights tribunal on Meerut Riots: IPHRC, Meerut, May 1989.

3. PUDR: Forgotten Massacres - A Report on the Aftermath of Meerut 1987-89, Delhi, May 1989.

M_Saint... I know there are some black marks in our history and believe me when i said that most of the Indians are ashamed of what happend in Gujarat and Orissa..Most of the articles you posted above are mentioning the same incident .. and there is also a article about earth quake :what: what are you trying to prove by it??that Hindu upper caste made earthquake in Muslim areas??most of the incidents happnd more than 15 years ago ...India is putting its past aside and aiming for high and off course we have a long way to go..There are lots of stepes taken by the government to improve the social conditions of back ward class and minorities

http://www.tn.gov.in/policynotes/pdf/minorities_welfare.pdf
http://information.up.nic.in/test4.asp?id=PN-06Aug,09LalitNain-CMBCWelfareDeptReview.pdf
http://www.socialjustice.nic.in/pre-matric.pdf

Above links are some of the steps taken by the central and state govts for the welfare of the backward classes and minorities...

The followings are some major Muslim genocidal incidents by sweet talking Malus of IND

So you call Indians communal and then go on to make bigoted statements yourself? MY head hurts with so much stupidity on display.

By the way, you went on to list all major communal riots in India. Thank you for that piece of information. We are deeply ashamed of all those incidences.

Would you like me to post riots directed against the minority population in Bangladesh as jotted down by the author Taslima Nasreen in her great book Lajja? It's not a pretty picture.

Khushboo Mirza, member of Chandrayaan-1 team, talks to TCN | TwoCircles.net

Patna: When the whole India was basking in the glory of launching of Chandrayaan-1 it was also the turn of Chaugori Mohalla, a tiny, traditional Muslim neighborhood in UP's Amroha district to take pride in the successful launching of the satellite. A daughter of the village was part of the mission Chandrayaan.

The villagers are very proud of her so much so that they have started calling it Khushboo Mirza’s village.

Khushboo Mirza was a member of the team of engineers of the Check-Out Division of Chandrayaan-I, which carried out the thermal, vacuum and assembling checks on each component of the satellite.

This 23-years-old girl has been a top ranker throughout her career right from 10th to B.Tech from Aligarh Muslim University, pointed out her brother Khushtar Mirza who himself is a B.Tech from Jamia Millia Islamia.

Being a district level player of volley ball Khushboo Mirza got admission in B. Tech at AMU through the sports quota.

TwoCircles.net called her and congratulated her on the successful launch of Chandrayaan-1.

Sharing her experience of the prestigious mission with TCN, she said she wanted to contribute to the scientific progress of India. It was since last one and half years that she had been working on this project.

“It was very exciting to be a part of ISRO's prestigious mission Chandrayaan-1. Like any other Indian I too wanted to contribute in the Indian space science,” said Khushboo.

She pointed out that the work was distributed among the team members of the Check-Out Division of Chandrayaan-I, which carried out the thermal, vacuum and assembling checks on each component of the satellite. And being a member of that team she too checked some parts of the satellite.

She said that it was very thrilling to see the actual launching of Chandrayaan-1. After giving the command for its launch the whole team went on the roof top to actually witness the launch, she added.

So far so good. But did her being a Muslim girl ever pose any obstacle in the progress of her career?

A categorical NO was her reply.

“I am just like any other Muslim girl who follows Islam and its traditions, fasts in the month of Ramzan and celebrate Eid. My religion never came in the way of my profession. I am very proud that I am an Indian Muslim,” said she.

She also spoke on Islam and modernity. She said that Islam is completely compatible with modernity. For instance “I am an engineer working with ISRO and also a practicing Muslim. There is no conflict between the two,” she argued.

She gave an example of Aligarh to highlight the balanced relationship between Islam and modernity. At AMU there are doctors, engineers, professors but they are also Muslim with a flexible and broadminded approach towards religion, she said

She spoke at length on the fact that the city and the university (AMU) which has been her alma mater has emerged as a fine example of communal harmony. People belonging to different religion and sect are studying here. There is no clash or conflict between them.

TCN asked her about her views on the situation of Muslim women in India particularly on then index of education.
She said that it is increasingly improving. Whenever they are spoken about it is only in terms of certain stereotypes. For instance they are not educated or education among them is very less and they are completely confined to the domestic spheres.

People better avoid these stereotypes while describing Muslim women in India precisely because they are defying these categories and coming up more and more on the fore front in different walks of life she argued.

There are many opportunities in space sciences. You just need to come and grab, was the message of the young space scientist to the Muslim youths across the country.

On the Indian space programmes she said: “I hope India continues with this progress in space sciences.”

And with India you too, Khushboo Mirza. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Fine example of communal harmony - Allahabad - City - The Times of India

ALLAHABAD: It is indeed a welcome sight to see Hindus bidding adieu to Haj pilgrims heading to Saudi Arabia. In an era, when politicians are
sowing the seeds of hatred on the basis of religion, a fine example of cultural camaraderie and Ganga Jamuna tehzib is being witnessed in Sangam City as numerous Hindus are seen greeting their Muslims friends and neighbours who are going to perform Haj. A unique feature of this year's Haj is that several young men are also going to the annual pilgrimage, which is generally performed by people when they reach the twilight years. Hindu friends of these youngsters are visiting their houses and greeting them. It is really heartening and an example for others to follow.

It is a general trend that friends, relatives and neighbours visit the house of the persons who are going to perform Haj. This year, several hajis from the city are boarding the flights from Varanasi. The pilgrims are heading for Varanasi from the city in phases and according to the schedule of the flights which have started from November 3 and continue till November 18.

Close relatives and friends are thronging the house of the people who are going to perform Haj. Hindu friends are making arrangements of taxis that would take the pilgrims from Allahabad to Varanasi. Some Hindu youngsters are even accompanying the young Muslim pilgrims to Varanasi.

It is a general perception that people in the old age go to perform Haj when they are free from the worldly duties but this time many young people are heading for Haj. A newly married couple is among the pilgrims. The groom's mother is also accompanying the couple. Adil Iqbal, who got married in March, said that Allah had been kind to him that he is going to perform Haj so soon after marriage. "I am taking my wife to promote better understanding and co-operation in our relationship. It was my dream right from the childhood to perform Haj and I am happy that my dream is being fulfilled," he said.

Athar Kalam (32) is going to perform Haj with his younger sister and father and mother. He said, "I am thankful that Allah has given me the opportunity to perform Haj at this young age. He said that more young people should go to Haj when they are in good financial and physical health."

Syed Shamim Ahmad Gauhar, sajjad nashin of Khanqa Abu-al-Aloiya said that it is an appreciable trend that young people are going to perform haj. According to Islamic tenets, if a person has the required amount of money and good health and is adult, then he is eligible for performing Haj.

Jawwad Haider Rizvi of Madarsa Anwar-ul-Uloom said that it is generally perceived in the sub-continent that people perform Haj in old age. But in Islam, if the person has the required money and good health to perform Haj, then he should go for the pilgrimage. The matter of marriage and construction of houses should not come as a hindrance to stop one from the pilgrimage.

As many as 586 pilgrims are from Allahabad and 100 from the adjacent district of Kaushambi.

Must be hard for the Muslims there to keep reminding where their loyalty lies...:( No prob Sallu, we still love you. :)

Its obviously very hard for you to comprehend, come to India and live as we live, man that is living, hindu , muslim , christian , sikh we have fun together, but then again you come from Pakisan , you would never understand

We Live in Harmony with everyone in here, its a full fledged democratic govt unlike In pakistan its islamic rule and republic.... pakistan gives No human rights for women and other religions.... In India everyone has equal rights and equal laws.......

Muslims in India are more comfortable than those living in pakistan. What has pakistan achieved since independance... It achieved raising of some muslim terrorists to counter neighbours.... atleast we dont do that In India

If you have time just read the thing you said...

:pakistan:

In pakistan its islamic rule and republic.... pakistan gives No human rights for women and other religions....

It's just a BS.

In India everyone has equal rights and equal laws.......

Yeah India has equal rights and equal laws but not their implementation.
Muslims in India are more comfortable than those living in pakistan.
and yes
To be burnt alive is more comfortable than living in Pakistan??
What has pakistan achieved since independance...
We achieve 62 years of survival with a noble neighbor. Best Armed Forces, Nuclear Weapons........
It achieved raising of some muslim terrorists to counter neighbours.... atleast we dont do that In India
Nope

Last edited:
Al-Ahram Weekly | Opinion | India's monsoon revolution
Excelling against all odds, India's young Muslims are showing the way for the rest of the Islamic world, writes Aijaz Zaka Syed

A dear friend who lost more than his heart to a dusky damsel from the Indian state often celebrated as "God's own country" gifted me a deliciously readable book, Chasing the Monsoon, some years ago. It's no classic of course. But it's a must read for everyone who wants to understand India and the extraordinary natural ritual that the country undergoes every year.

As I return home to my modest roots in the parched and panting Deccan Plateau, I am reminded of the book and its tribute to the monsoon, the season of rains and revival that arrives in June amid great excitement and anticipation. But it's already July. There have been no rains so far save for some erratic showers, which only heighten the oppressive heat and humidity of an Indian summer.

No wonder every conversation these days here begins and ends with weather, with experts warning of a huge drought ahead. This is bad news for a country that depends critically on agriculture. Which is why not just the farming folk, but everyone is constantly looking heavenwards, praying for the skies to open up for a good, all-cleansing and all-replenishing monsoon.

These prayers appear all the more intense in Hyderabad and the state that claims to be the rice bowl of India. Rain clouds continue to act coy like the eternally elusive beloved of Urdu poetry. As in those melodramatic scenes from Aamir Khan's epic, Lagaan, Indians exult and then sigh in despair as dark clouds gather only to wither away, playing hide and seek with a billion people's hopes and aspirations. There have been endless prayers in temples and mosques across India urging divine intervention.

Monsoon has always been a big deal in this land of plenty and poverty. It not only replenishes the vast network of rivers and reservoirs of this giant country, helping its farmers feed the nation, it literally revives, rejuvenates and renews the physical landscape. Describing the metamorphosis this dusty, summer-baked country undergoes after the monsoon is a task that is beyond this humble hack. You have to see it to truly believe it.

India is witnessing another such metamorphosis at another level. It hasn't been as obvious and spectacular as the monsoon. However, it has been equally transformational and all embracing in nature.

This year, more than 30,000 Muslim students from Hyderabad and surrounding districts in Andhra Pradesh made it past the "Eamcet", the impossibly overwhelming entrance examination that the state conducts for admission to medical and engineering colleges. In fact, a Muslim student, a young Alauddin, from engineering topped the Eamcet to emerge as the first ranker.

In another heart-warming example, a married Muslim girl has topped the "Edcet" or entrance examination for education colleges. Last year, another girl, Ayesha Fatima, created history by topping the state board for intermediate or Grade 12 with 98.7 per cent scores in the final examinations.

These are not isolated cases of individual or fluke success. A quiet revolution is taking place among India's Muslims, the largest religious minority and perhaps the biggest Muslim population anywhere in the world. Increasingly, Muslim students are not only putting in unusual and stellar performances and competing with the best of the best in realms where they rarely ventured before, but they are even outshining their peers.

There was a time, even 10 years ago, when doctors or engineers were a rare species in Muslim neighbourhoods. They still are in most north Indian states. Today, it's common to come across a doctor or at least an engineer in one's family or extended family.

Interestingly, this revolution is happening far from the traditional battlegrounds of Muslim politics in the north, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. The three states -- Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka -- that are pioneering this movement for change are also home to large Muslim populations and include vast areas of the erstwhile state of Hyderabad.

Under the Nizams, the state attracted the best of minds and talent from across India and the world. Besides founding India's first university to teach modern sciences, arts and humanities in an Indian language, Hyderabad set up world class centres of learning and scientific enquiry as early as the 19th century. It is perhaps only apt that today hundreds of thousands of students from Andhra, Maharashtra and Karnataka are leading the revolution to give a new identity to India's Muslims.

Interestingly, it is not just modern, English- speaking schools and colleges that are sending Muslims to rub shoulders with the best of the best. Most of them come from incredibly poor neighbourhoods and state-run, ill-equipped schools that teach in Urdu, a language long neglected for its association with Muslims and Pakistan, of course.

Considering the perennial lack of teachers and textbooks and government apathy these schools routinely face, and tremendous sacrifices their parents have to make to send them to school, one feels totally humbled by what these young girls and boys have managed to accomplish.

By excelling against all odds, they are not only helping themselves and their families, these young Muslims are set to transform the profile and identity of their community that has long suffered in silence, wallowing in self pity. According to government statistics, Muslims are straggling even behind the Dalits -- or low caste Hindus -- in education, jobs and just about everything else.

The community has yet to regain its self-respect and confidence it lost after the fall of the Mughal Empire and the 1857 War of Independence. Some thought, with tragic results of course, that the creation of Pakistan could solve all their problems. The tragedy of partition forced the community further into its shell.

Which is why it's so good to see young Muslims in the south and southwest demonstrate with their actions that you have to really work to earn your self-respect and your slice of the pie. They are showing the way forward with their honesty, hard work and perseverance.

Like the nourishing monsoon rains, they could revive and give a new life to their community that has for decades and centuries been weighed down by a crippling sense of deprivation and helplessness.

While a many of Indian Muslims -- just as their fellow believers elsewhere -- continues to live in a grand past, these young soldiers of knowledge are fighting their way forward, defying all odds and obstacles.

This young lot of Muslims are a compelling source of hope and inspiration to fellow believers elsewhere in the country, especially in the Hindi heartland where education for many only means a stint in madrasas.

More important, they can be -- and ought to be -- an example for Muslim communities everywhere facing decay and lack of direction. Like the all-enveloping monsoon winds, their message of change and hope should sweep the whole of Muslim world, from Morocco to Malaysia. This is the only way forward. And this is the only solution to myriad problems.

At the end of the day, no one will change your life for you. You have to do it yourself. And when you change yourself, you change the world around you.

* The writer is opinion editor of Khaleej Times .

straight foward ans: dont know what they are doing with muslims, at the end of the day, the citezens are indian, so i am thinking that there wouldnt be no real problems

‘Minority’ for ‘Muslim’ in BPL census?

Subodh Ghildiyal | TNN

New Delhi: The Centre is veering round to accepting the N C Saxena committee’s methodology for identifying below poverty line (BPL) families through a census but may go in for a crucial change — replace ‘‘Muslim’’ with ‘‘minority’’ for extra weightage on poverty index.
The Union rural development ministry is considering minorities as a whole, in place of only Muslims, who are to be given an extra point weightage in BPL identification. The ministry conducts a census to identify BPL families, which is now due this year.

Sources said a rethink on whether Muslims as a community should be retained as beneficiary of special points in BPL census started after a few states said it was not prudent. In their comments on the Saxena report, the states, reported to be mostly BJPruled ones, felt it would send out a wrong message.

Sources said the ministry is still to decide between ‘‘Muslim’’ and ‘‘minority’’ and a final view is to be taken on Saxena report’s methodology for the BPL census. The debate, however, seems interesting.

While Sachar commission and other surveys, from time to time, have identified a vast section of Muslims as poor, sources said it was suggested that use of the word ‘‘minority’’ would pre-empt any misgivings that one community was being given preference in poverty welfare. It would, while removing the possible grounds for social envy, also not disturb other minority communities who could feel let down.

Among the families to be surveyed, there is certain weightage to be given to social groups. While SCs/STs would get three points, Most Backward Castes (MBC) would be given two points. The Saxena report added that Muslims and OBCs be given one point each.

RD ministry feels the methodology suggested by Saxena panel for BPL census is otherwise strong, especially the method of ‘‘automatic inclusion and exclusion’’. The concept is seen as ‘‘fair and robust’’.

According to the concept, certain families would not be considered for BPL category at all. They include households which own double of a district’s average irrigated landholding or have a threewheeled or four-wheeled motor vehicle or a mechanized farm equipment or have a member who is a government employee or have a private sector employee drawing above Rs 10,000 per month salary.

In contrast, the primitive tribal groups, households headed by single-women or a minor, families which have disabled persons as main breadearners or the households of ‘‘mahadalits’’ would be automatically included, without a survey, in the BPL list.

'Minority' for 'Muslim' in BPL census? - India - The Times of India

Back
Top Bottom