What's new

Identify this Artillery Beast

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2146549615.jpg

Can somebody tell me what is this Artillery Giant called I mean shown on right side of this picture this is some monster size Artillery
@Rashid Mahmood @Luftwaffe @Aeronaut @fatman17 @Kaan @Neptune and others

In this picture it looks quite funny

Interesting wheeled chassis SP...South Africa due to budget had put entire in storage where as Oman and U.A.E still operates +/-100, developed in 87, wonder why no other countries looked into it.

UAE has 78 of these Artillery Guns that is quite a number to have

The driver would be the first one to get fucked if this thing gets hit.

Should we make it submarine:disagree:

@Zarvan :woot:

Driver is exposed, a glass window no matter how thick wont stop a heavy round. Small arms fire is alright. A single marksman will take out the mobility factor of it. So yes something better concealed.

The driver would be the first one to get fucked if this thing gets hit.
Artillery will be behind the lines, so chances of encounters are mostly from counterbattery fire (i.e. from above). Good visibility will allow the driver to move the vehicle better/faster, thus avoiding counter fire. Shoot 'nd scoot. SPGs aren't to be used as armor/tanks.

The LIW 155 mm 52 calibre turret system has been developed as a private venture by LIW for the export market and builds on the experience obtained in the design, development and production of the 155 mm/ G6/45 calibre 6x6 self-propelled artillery system which is in service with Oman, South Africa and the United Arab Emirates. The G6, in turn, builds on experience obtained in the combat-proven 155 mm 45 calibre G5 towed artillery system. The T6 turret can be mounted on any suitable chassis and has already been integrated onto a T-72M1, Arjun and G6 chassis.
Army Guide - T6, Turret for the self-propelled artillery system

Twenty five years after it astonished the global defence community, South Africa’s G6 self-propelled Gun-Howitzer still sets the standards against which all long-distance artillery are being measured. “The G6 was ahead of its time when it was first launched in 1987”

Based on the locally-developed G5/45 the 155mm G6 revolutionised artillery with its ability to hit targets over exceptionally long distances with an outstanding degree of accuracy.

Mounted on a wheeled chassis the G6 is self-propelled, giving it a remarkable agility and ultra-quick reaction time. Its ability to hit targets more than 65km away at a rate of fire of six rounds per minute confirmed its reputation as one of the most versatile artillery systems ever developed.

In addition to the South African National Defence Force the G6 has also been acquired by the United Arab Emirates and Oman.

The upgraded G6-52, was first launched in 2003 and is continuously being modified to “remain at the front of the pack” in modern artillery systems.

Some of the key features of the G6-52 are:
  • Mobility and speed - Traditionally artillery pieces had to be towed, thus restricting its effective deployment in difficult terrain. The six-wheeled G6 changed the face of artillery because it is self-propelled, with the ability to reach speeds of 85km per hour on roads and 35 km per hour in off-road conditions. It can traverse terrain to a gradient of 40 degrees and cross trenches of up to one meters
  • Range – the G6-52 increased the operational range from 50 kilometres – already considered to be remarkable – to 58 kilometres making it the premier system of its kind in the world.
  • Accuracy – The gun is fitted with an accurate inertial and GPS navigation system. A ring laser gyro based gun laying system ensures accurate gun pointing to within 1mil (0.05 of a degree). Up to five rounds can be fired to impact simultaneously on the same target by means of the G6-52's advanced AS2000 artillery target engagement system. This maximises the surprise element to achieve better effect on the target.
  • Ease of operation – the G6 is served by a crew of between 3 and 5 which includes the driver, commander, gun layer, ammunition loader and breech operator. The on-board gyro-controlled navigation system enables the gun to be brought into action within 60 seconds of stopping and it can move off within 30 seconds after firing.
  • Rate of fire – the gun can fire projectiles at a rate of six rounds per minute.
  • Full-protection – the G6 is protected against counter-battery fire and its mobility makes it an extremely difficult target to locate and hit. The armoured turret and hull provide protection against small arms fire and shell splinters while the chassis can withstand multiple landmine explosions.
  • Adaptability – the gun is capable of firing a wide range of 155mm ammunition including velocity-enhanced long-range projectiles (V-LAP).
  • The ammunition for the G6 has been developed in South Africa and is supplied by Rheinmetall Denel Munition.
Army Guide - The G6 -Still outgunning the competition

See also G6 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer - Army Technology
Video
G6 Self-Propelled 155mm Howitzer - YouTube

Last edited:
Interesting wheeled chassis SP...South Africa due to budget had put entire in storage where as Oman and U.A.E still operates +/-100, developed in 87, wonder why no other countries looked into it.
I don't know about that but it seems some one was watching James Bond movie when he or she came up with this design

Artillery will be behind the lines, so chances of encounters are mostly from counterbattery fire (i.e. from above). Good visibility will allow the driver to move the vehicle better/faster, thus avoiding counter fire. Shoot 'nd scoot. SPGs aren't to be used as armor/tanks.

One knows these are mobile artillery pieces. They will encounter enemy marksmen or sniper teams. They still leave a possibility to be stopped by a heavy round. Not good in my opinion.

here is the one beast which i saw in IDEX 2013... it was so big that I couldn't take its photo in full..

vmu4uc.jpg

121x0fs.jpg

iypmcl.jpg

One knows these are mobile artillery pieces. They will encounter enemy marksmen or sniper teams. They still leave a possibility to be stopped by a heavy round. Not good in my opinion.
The frontal arc is the strongest and can withstand up to 20mm AP (that is, it is safe up to and including 14,5mm which is petty much APC standard).
Denel G6 Rhino - 6x6 Wheeled Self-Propelled Artillery - History, Specs and Pictures - Military Tanks, Vehicles and Artillery
Weapon

I don't think that is any less than e.g. Turkish Firtina or German PzH-2000. The point of the armor is to protect from shell splinters and small arms, not to be at MBT of ICV level.

The PzH 2000 is operated from under armor protection. This keeps the crew safe from counter battery fire and small arms fire. It also keeps the crew within the NBC protected compartments. The PzH 2000 remains vulnerable to anti-tank rockets, heavy autocannon, cannon fire and aircraft bombs. The survivability is further increased with the shoot and scoot ability.
PzH 2000 | Design | Defence & Civil Database

Back
Top Bottom