What's new

I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kloitra

Reaction score
Country
India
Imperfect Writing

I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.

My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.

My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.

And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.

All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.

This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.

People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.

Ḥashshāshīn;3520669 said:
It's America, what do you expect?

The girl writing this blog is also American, and she is not Muslim.

Being racist = Being stupid, uneducated
Yep when I was walking to a store this woman and her children were walking to their car, then the girl said "look a nigger" they all started running to their car I wanted to follow them and scare them (for fun), but I said nah.

The girl writing this blog is also American, and she is not Muslim.

Mate, I know what it's like there. Majority of people are so bigoted.

Yep when I was walking to a store this woman and her children were walking to their car, then the girl said "look a nigger" they all started running to their car I wanted to follow them and scare them (for fun), but I said nah.

haha :lol:

Ḥashshāshīn;3520679 said:
Mate, I know what it's like there. Majority of people are so bigoted.

I have never faced discrimination till now here in Canada. Probably because too many immigrants.

canada is 1000 times better than USA. less bumpy roads cleaner and courteous people. order a pizza in canada and order one in USA you will see the differnce in work ethics in both nations

There is nothing new in such types of discrimination for muslims face world over not even moderate muslims are spared.Famous in dian Journalist Saeed naqvi's both daughter's had there first hand experience in india.

Farah began to work for Nirantar, an NGO dedicated to working among rural women. Returning from Banda, UP, by train one day she had her first rub with communalism. Being a social worker she was comfortable talking to the passengers, many of them women. They were average sort of people, not rich, not the poorest. At one station they all unanimously resisted into the compartment the entry of a family which was quite obviously Muslim, since the woman wore a burqa.

Farah thought they had not been allowed to enter because the compartment was full until an anti-Muslim tirade picked up as soon as the train left the station. A kindly looking elderly man, noticing Farah’s silence, offered her an apple which she gently refused. “Lay leo bitiya, ham bhi to tumhare tarah Hindu hain, koi Mussalman to nahin hain.” (Take the apple, daughter. After all I am also a Hindu like you, not a Muslim.)

Notice the irony? Here is a Muslim girl who has proudly asserted her Indianness (the visa incident), faced with the first signs of prejudice against her community. Has anyone heard Farah rue her decision?

The other day our youngest daughter, Zeba, visits her gynaecologist in New Delhi. The nurse announces her name, muttering loudly enough for all to hear. “Where have these Muslims come from?” Zeba’s bewilderment has to be seen to be believed.

Why, remember when my wife and I hunted for a house in Delhi. Ultimately, Kuldip Nayar, my resident editor then, intervened to get us a house in South Extension in the ’60s. We did not make much of it.

The Indian Express: Columnists - Saeed Naqvi

You have to be a muslim to let all hidden biases and discrimination against you to come out.till the time you are non muslim you would not know about such discrimination exists. Thats what the lady of the blog did she disguised herself as muslim to see the real face of it.Even on Pdf if you are mulim you do face such biases and discrimination.

^^^^Couldn't help yourself could you? Had to drag India into this eh?

Discrimination is everywhere, Muslims discriminate against Muslims in Muslim countries! So why is anyone even surprised. But for every bigoted person in our society there are 100 others who are not bigoted or prejudiced. Thats just how the world is.

Well when someone wears a Burqa or a dress like Nun or someone who is having a large veil, like some Hindus do. I get a feeling from them that they do not want to be contacted and are conservative. I also stay away from those people, so that explains why people were not giving attention to her.

Only way to reduce this prejudice is more active media campaign. Remember that the negative news are transmitted by the individuals more than positive ones and media loves to spread negative news because it has more viewership. Its not limited to prejudice on base of religion. It goes for race, color etc.

Only way to counter an idea is counter propaganda targeted to spread the positivity.

People fears what they don't understand.

Sorry state of affair but if we want to remove the prejudice we have to work on spreading the reality of Muslims. We have to highlight and spread the good work done by Muslims. So we need to be proactive when it comes to changing mindset of people.

^^^^Couldn't help yourself could you? Had to drag India into this eh?

Discrimination is everywhere, Muslims discriminate against Muslims in Muslim countries! So why is anyone even surprised. But for every bigoted person in our society there are 100 others who are not bigoted or prejudiced.
Why should i not bring in india.....?At least in blogger case she had to disguise as muslim to know bias.That to it was just a small girl who called her terrorist.But educated mature india on pdf itself called my hubby as terrorist.why should india and indians be kept away.Indians do casually call up any muslim from pakistan or BD to not go and ;blow up in crowded place","push the button " etc like phrases.

Heck even i didnt knew about these sort of discrimination biases exists in india untill i was non-muslim but sure i have my own brush with it from indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom