What's new

I am proud of the Kargil operation: Musharraf

Bond

Reaction score
SLAMABAD/KARACHI: Former military ruler Pervez Musharraf on Wednesday said he was "proud of the Kargil operation", during which Pakistani troops had crossed the line of control (LoC) and occupied positions on the Indian side in 1999.

Musharraf made the remarks when he was asked about criticism of his role in the Kargil issue at a news conference in the southern port city of Karachi.

Musharraf was the army chief when the operation was launched. He later toppled the government of premier Nawaz Sharif and assumed power.

I am "proud of the Kargil operation," he said. The former President, who returned to Pakistan on Sunday after nearly four years in self-exile, said he had not struck a deal with anyone for his homecoming.

He claimed he had returned to Pakistan in the interest of the country and the people.

"I am among those people who think of the country and the citizens," Musharraf told said during his first news conference after returning to Pakistan.

Musharraf, who returned to lead the All Pakistan Muslim League in the general election to be held on May 11, said he could not say how many constituencies his party would be able to win.

He said he would himself run for elections from Karachi, where he has "old relations" with the Muttahida Qaumi Movement.

He claimed his supporters had recommended that he should contest the election from a constituency in the Defence area of Karachi.

Musharraf also defended his years in power as a dictator, claiming that Pakistan had prospered during his tenure.

He further claimed he had been the only leader to raise his voice against anti-state elements and elements involved in spreading terrorism.

Asked about the 2006 military operation that killed Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti, Musharraf claimed it was launched by the government of the day.

He said he decided to join the US-led war against terrorism in the interest of Pakistan and the country's destiny would have been drastically different if he had not made this decision.

I am proud of Kargil operation, ex-Pakistani dictator Musharraf says - The Times of India

:woot: Commondu is proud of sneaky steps / failed campaign and loss of face in the world... more than that he is proud of losing to india... :partay:

Dont listen to this drama. he is trying very hard to get elected so he might go ahead and even say he was proud of lal masjid operation. Musharraf should know that he shouldnt make statements like this as more then the fact the operation failure, the refusal to take the bodies of our soldiers was more hurtful and it is still a black spot to his repute.

He has nothing to go by as people have soo many other choices. they can vote for imran khan, sharif and qadeer that they dont need musharraf. Even media is not giving him coverage as one is talking about from where imran will fight elections and the seat adjustments between PPP and PML Q or adjustments between PML N and PML likeminded.

Its a sad for an army when its Generals feel proud of such ill conceived, poorly executed and disastrous military exploits.

It is reassuring for adversaries though.

My friend. He is no general anymore. he is just a failed politician who is trying to get back to the throne. He will say anything... i am just reading in news his statement where he is saying i didnt help america in the abduction of DR.AFIA . He vigorously defends the lal masjid operation saying there were no children over there when 18 crore awam differ from this opinion. He will say alot of things so best to ignore such clowns.

And the present general is very smart. :D

:woot: Commondu is proud of sneaky steps / failed campaign and loss of face in the world... more than that he is proud of losing to india... :partay:

Victim of their own frivolous media, the internet warrior can boast their ego by play of words.

Indian newspapers and their public believe--or say they believe--that the conflict in Dras-Kargil last year was a military victory for India. In fact, it was a war 'won' by briefings and a slavishly supportive media. The Indian public wanted to be assured of 'victory,' and every effort was made to provide that assurance. Kargil was disastrous for Pakistan in worldwide political terms, and was an important public relations coup for the Indian government, both internally (in the run-up to the election), and internationally. But militarily it was a shambles for India whose brave but ill-prepared soldiers suffered gravely and would have sustained even heavier casualties had the conflict continued. The prime minister of Pakistan was ordered by the president of the United States to withdraw his troops from a successful military operation and this was done in time to save the Vajpayee government from the wave of criticism that would have swamped it had the confrontation not been stopped.
:cheesy:

Kargil was the most senseless operation from all the three angles be it tactically , strategically or politically . it just dint make any sense, if he had to secured an open area on the Pakistani side then he could have done that & could have increased area patrolling with forward posts in that particular area, there was absolutely no need to cross the line of control, & the Lahore declaration should have been given due time to proceed with out hindrance.

So, he is proud of an ill conceived, ill planned war that cost the lives of hundreds of his countrymen with ZERO benefit for his nation? Unless he is stupid enough like certain PDF members to claim that it was a victory, or that eating grass on point 5353 or whatever was worth paying for with the lives and limbs of hundreds and hundreds of soldiers, I really don't know why he is so proud.

"I sneaked into my neighbors' home with the intent of stealing his living room, but he found out, chopped off my arms and threw me out. But I managed to wash my face in his faucet during that time, so I am proud."

But then he is speaking to a certain electorate. On another thread on the forum some Pakistanis were singing his praise, saying it takes guts to sleep in enemy territory for a night and so on. It doesn't occur to them that that priviledge came at a price, and had dubious value. Sending hundreds of your countrymen to death, simply to be able to boast about having slept in India for a night? Damn!

Why shouldn't he be proud; it's nawaz sharif who capitulated. Even prouder should be the families of the shaheeds of NLI and the Kashmiri freedom fighters.

By the way, we still retain Point 5353 and its already been discussed on the 20,00,001 other active threads on Kargil Operation.

Why shouldn't he be proud; it's nawaz sharif who capitulated. Even prouder should be the families of the shaheeds of NLI and the Kashmiri freedom fighters.

By the way, we still retain Point 5353 and its already been discussed on the 20,00,001 other active threads on Kargil Operation.

Your generals and brigadiers would disagree. :laugh:

Its a sad for an army when its Generals feel proud of such ill conceived, poorly executed and disastrous military exploits.

It is reassuring for adversaries though.

He has no choice but to say this.

But he learnt his lessons pretty quick. From the biggest supporter of terror to "enlightened moderation", all in the space of a few years. ;)

Kargil war was a Military success turned in to political defeat. I don't care the monkeys nutt sack with the propaganda & lying India thinks.

The truth is India was suffering very badly in Kargil war.

Abhi uncle bohat dino bd aiye hain kuch na kuch tou kahain gy news may rehna bhi tou hoga :lol:

Spoken like a true mental. People like you can't handle & bare the truth.

Back
Top Bottom