What's new

Hayden calls India a third world country

dr.umer

Reaction score

November 13, 2008

Australia opener Matthew Hayden on Wednesday termed India as a "third world" country following their humiliating 0-2 loss in the Test series.

Hayden came out strongly in support of captain Ricky Ponting, who surprisingly preferred surrendering the fourth Test in Nagpur to avoid suspension for a slow over rate.

"Often we find ourselves waiting with hands on hips for someone to face up or someone on the sight board to move away or some of those little frustrations happening with third world countries," Hayden was quoted as saying by Australian newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

Hayden believes that Ponting can come out of his Indian misadventure stronger and rebuild another champion Australian team in the near future.

"Ricky's an absolute bloody champion and he has won right across the globe in his reign in his captaincy. I completely endorse where he is at as an individual and a captain. To me, the next six months will show you how he can rebuild another Australia side which has lost a lot of its brand champions to become a very formidable opponent," Hayden said.

Interestingly, the Aussie left-hander had no complaints when he played in the Indian Premier League earlier this year after he was bought by the Chennai Super Kings for a whopping US $ 3,75,000.

--------------------------------------------------------

Is it offensive if someone calls some country a third world country ?

Wikipedia states "While there is debate over the appropriateness of the term, and no alternative is without detractors, the term is one embraced by many Third World nations themselves"

November 13, 2008

Australia opener Matthew Hayden on Wednesday termed India as a "third world" country following their humiliating 0-2 loss in the Test series.

Hayden came out strongly in support of captain Ricky Ponting, who surprisingly preferred surrendering the fourth Test in Nagpur to avoid suspension for a slow over rate.

"Often we find ourselves waiting with hands on hips for someone to face up or someone on the sight board to move away or some of those little frustrations happening with third world countries," Hayden was quoted as saying by Australian newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

Hayden believes that Ponting can come out of his Indian misadventure stronger and rebuild another champion Australian team in the near future.

"Ricky's an absolute bloody champion and he has won right across the globe in his reign in his captaincy. I completely endorse where he is at as an individual and a captain. To me, the next six months will show you how he can rebuild another Australia side which has lost a lot of its brand champions to become a very formidable opponent," Hayden said.

Interestingly, the Aussie left-hander had no complaints when he played in the Indian Premier League earlier this year after he was bought by the Chennai Super Kings for a whopping US $ 3,75,000.

--------------------------------------------------------

Is it offensive if someone calls some country a third world country ?

Wikipedia states "While there is debate over the appropriateness of the term, and no alternative is without detractors, the term is one embraced by many Third World nations themselves"

Check the same wikipedia for the origin of the term 'third world' countries. Third world countries doesn't mean third rate countries.

yes India is a third world country, and a matter of fact so is China called so....many countries have no probs calling themselves one...

But, the beating the Aussies recieved during the last Border-Gavasker series...was truely one of the most amazing cricketing series

Well, he didn't really say anything wrong....a bit rude I guess...can sympathize with him.....his *** was handed to him by a third world country after all.:D

Check the same wikipedia for the origin of the term 'third world' countries. Third world countries doesn't mean third rate countries.

Did I say third world countries mean third rate countries ? :bunny:

IMO - It is not an offense to be a third world country.

After all due to these "third world countries", first and second worlds exist.

LOl that is cuz India is a third world country wats wrong with saying so!! so are many others :)

The "little obnoxious weed" had his arse handed over to him and is trying to take out his little frustration.

I think the result was a bit too much for these "Arrogant Aussies" to take, especially the likes of Hayden, who is a big mouth like Ponting.

Dho dala. Way to go, India!

Australia or Hayden should have visited 3rd world country then, He did not complain when Australia won last series.

But of course India gave the first rate thrashing 2-0, something very difficult to digest.

LOl that is cuz India is a third world country wats wrong with saying so!! so are many others :)

It is the context in which he said it. He is bitter and trying to vent off frustration. This same Hayden didn't have a problem coming and playing in 'third world' country for IPL, representing a 'third world' city.

Same word can have different implications when used in different situations. If you tell your best friend, " I got laid by the hot head cheerleader", he may pat you on the shoulder and say, "You b@st@rd!"in a very jovial and encouraging manner.

At the same time, if you bang your best friend's girlfriend , he may still say, "you b@st@rd!", but the tone and meaning will be totally different from the previous one.

It is the context in which he said it. He is bitter and trying to vent off frustration. This same Hayden didn't have a problem coming and playing in 'third world' country for IPL, representing a 'third world' city.

Same word can have different implications when used in different situations. If you tell your best friend, " I got laid by the hot head cheerleader", he may pat you on the shoulder and say, "You b@st@rd!"in a very jovial and encouraging manner.

At the same time, if you bang your best friend's girlfriend , he may still say, "you b@st@rd!", but the tone and meaning will be totally different from the previous one.

ahhh...love the analogy that you use...i guess nothign else could have gotten your point across more clearly.

Last edited:
well, i say kuddoos to the Bharati cricket team, for beating these arrogant ex-convicts.

Back
Top Bottom