What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess AESA is for sure as Sarsawat recent interview he said its definitely gonna be AESA for Tejas Mark II.

At least that the development for it is on, but lets wait and see how far the development really is and how capable it really will be. "Equal" to the best in the world" is a big promise, especially when we look at what they have delivered so far and that IAF/MoD wasn't happy with the performance so far and actively considered co-developments with foreign partners, preferably Elta.

I am new here, does anyone have update spec for LCA?
I dont want to original requirements, LCA did not meed those.

These were the last that came out at Aero India 2011 and from a DRDO brochure for MK1:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3Ypw_Ma1gug/TVeFu_sULnI/AAAAAAAAAHM/zKh2MylRys4/s1600/DSC03688.JPG

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2330/feb20112.jpg

Hi Dash, isn't it the other way around? ADA is responsible for the airframe design as well as the integration of certain techs possibly and we know that the design of MK2 won't be that different to MK1. We even know details about these changes, like stretched and modified fuselage to integrate the additional fuel tanks and the new engine, slightly bigger inlets for more airflow to the engine, modified APU intake which is already visible with the LSP 7. What we don't know yet are actually techs that will be developed for LCA, like the radar. All we know about it is, that it will be a multi mode radar, but not if it will be the normal puls doppler MMR of MK1, or an AESA version. Similarly, we heared much about IRST, or EWS development of certain Indian companies, but we don't know if they will be integrated into MK2 or not. So actually ADA has made their case pretty open, while the other development partners are still very quiet, possibly because it's unclear how mature their developments are.

Sancho, what you said is correct, however the IRST and AESA are not a major part of MK2 as far as testing of the airframe design and validation is concerned. We know that ADA is responsible for teh design, what we dont know that if they have frozen it. If they have frozen the design and given it to DRDO then the onus is on DRDO to come up with the prototype and start the trials. My doubt is that they are waiting for the engine delivery, but if you look at it they can take an off the selve engine and start the trails. so engine is not a problem with DRDO, what I think is that the design work is still going on and its not yet finalized.

Sancho, what you said is correct, however the IRST and AESA are not a major part of MK2 as far as testing of the airframe design and validation is concerned. We know that ADA is responsible for teh design, what we dont know that if they have frozen it. If they have frozen the design and given it to DRDO then the onus is on DRDO to come up with the prototype and start the trials. My doubt is that they are waiting for the engine delivery, but if you look at it they can take an off the selve engine and start the trails. so engine is not a problem with DRDO, what I think is that the design work is still going on and its not yet finalized.

Actually IRST would make a difference, because you have to check the aerodynamic changes with such an external feature too, not to forget that there will be the fixed refuelling probe which I forgot earlier. Since most main airframe changes are related to the new engine, it is logical that they will wait for the arrival and integration, before the MK2 airframe can be tested. Why should they use the GE 404 engine for example for it, when we know that the performance and size of fuselage and air intakes will be different at the end.
Wrt the radar, it is very likely that it will be tested in a modified test aircraft first and not on an LCA protype like this:

hack_radar_acig.jpg

Between 1996 and 1997, the ASP H-2176 was reconverted into a testbed for the avionics and radar of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). Now known as the 'Hack', the only major structural modification besides the removal of the rotodome assembly, was the addition of the LCA's nose cone in order to accomodate the Multi-Mode-Radar (MMR). Special provisions include a GPS based target tracking system, the Sigma-95 INS, a high density data recorder, a mission crew intercom system, ARINC-429 plus MIL-STD-1553B databuses, a dedicated thermal management system and an 120 KVA APU with 115V-400 hz AC, 230V-50 hz AC and 28 DC supplies. The aircraft also hosts 15 consoles with an equal number of operators. The post-processed data from radar testing is analyzed on the ground using the appropriate software tools. Even as the Hack was being configured, some elements of the ASP H-2175, now the only remaining ASP, were still undergoing integration, the fully integrated ASP system ready for demonstration only by August 1998...

India's flying Testbeds

Actually IRST would make a difference, because you have to check the aerodynamic changes with such an external feature too, not to forget that there will be the fixed refuelling probe which I forgot earlier. Since most main airframe changes are related to the new engine, it is logical that they will wait for the arrival and integration, before the MK2 airframe can be tested. Why should they use the GE 404 engine for example for it, when we know that the performance and size of fuselage and air intakes will be different at the end.
Wrt the radar, it is very likely that it will be tested in a modified test aircraft first and not on an LCA protype like this:

hack_radar_acig.jpg

India's flying Testbeds

That is correct, FLIR and refueling probe are also the part of airframe design and that is what we are discussing here. Obviously they cant test it in GE 404 engine, but is the design is fanalized then they can take an off the shelve F414 engine and start the testing than waiting for the engine delivery. hence it looks like that the design work is still going on and ADA is taking time to deliver that to DRDO, causing a delay from ADA side, which is reason one.

One thing we both can agree here that instead of focusing on MK2 they unnecessarily wasted time on naval prototype and I am sure that is stuck in limbo with that extra weight problem. They (ADA) should have used their resources om MK2 prototype as NLCA is going no where, which is second reason for delay.

So blaming DRDO is not right, we all know in recent times they have been pretty good in keeping timelines.

LCA-Tejas has completed 1931 Test Flights successfully. (07-July-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-234,PV5-36,LSP3-72,LSP4-56,LSP5-101,LSP7-4,NP1-4)

from

LCA-Tejas has completed 1925 Test Flights successfully. (03-July-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-230,PV5-36,LSP3-70,LSP4-56,LSP5-101,LSP7-4,NP1-4)

I think the first thing DRDO should do is to stop announcing their future projects and keep these project as secret untill they succeed ......so that their work do the talking......because all these early announcents make DRDO a laughing stock...
they need sanction of funds so they announce new projects and hence keep their job for next 30 yrs.It doesn't matter to them if that project fructify or not coz they get their monthly salary,husing plot,PF benifits along with armed guard and Rs.2 breakfast at ADA..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom