What's new

Gwadar: An unfulfilled dream

Hi,

If only pak govt had kept its mouth shut about gwadar and pak media put a lid on the gwadar port----our relation with china and possibly a naval base----gwadar would have been much further ahead in development----it could have been an operating port by now----.

But all the hoopla cvreated regarding our brotherhood with china and possible naval base----created a losty of issues for this port---the americans, the british, ther israelis, the iranians----nobody wants china in the arabian see---.

This progress should have been kept below the radar----which is not possible----but at least lesser statements regarding that issue and bragging about it may have had different results. Pakistanis can't even justify their rightful projects in their own country---that is how screwed up we are.

The bragging you mentioned may inform the general public. But I don't think the media is responsible for other countries to take notice of such a big project. There are technologies to find out what is going on without the media publicizing it. I in fact believe Pakistan by being open about it has prevented the unnecessary paranoia that would have created in the west otherwise.

Obviously, some want to spread pessimism about Gwadar. Gwadar projected started a few years ago, during Pres. Musharraf's tenure it was vitalized. It is seeing growth, infrastructure development, and more. It's important that Government policy be heavy investment in Gwadar's infrastructure, highways, airports, naval ports, development of schools and other civilian and economic installations. Foreign investment must be sought, and Gwadar must be promoted.

If given proper Government management Gwadar will exceed Karachi as Pakistan's financial capital, and other financial capitals in Asia. I'm sure, many Pakistanis will move there once the city is booming, many expats may return. So the city will really restore Pakistan's economic dream.

Gwadar by it's geographical strategic location and economic potential is destined to be the next Hong Kong.

I would love to see that. :cheers:

There is definitely a LOT of potential. All that is needed, is some real willpower from the political leaders.

Thanks brother. The problem we have in Gwadar and the rest of Balochistan is India's jealousy and hatred towards Pakistan and Pakistan's strategic ports.

China must help Pakistan to get rid of Indian presence in Afghanistan. It will be the only way to solve the crisis in Gwadar and Balochistan.

With no Indian presence in Afghanistan, there will be peace in Gwadar and the rest of Balochistan.

I would love to see that. :cheers:

There is definitely a LOT of potential. All that is needed, is some real willpower from the political leaders.

It will be bro sooner or later. W aren't going to back off from any of projects like Gawadar on any cost. This I can guarantee you.;)

People here are suffering from a classical case of disinformation reported about the province by our media. The title of this thread is misleading as gwadar needs another decade of two to actually grow to itself from fishing port to something of dream port and hub for trade to central Asia.

When Gwadar port was being developed it was being touted as the gate way to Central Asia. My Pakistani compatriots have the habit of getting carried away without any giving consideration to the ground realities.

Everyone must understand that by just making good facilities at the port does not make a port successful. A tiny port with no facilities can grow into a very busy and successful port if the business in the area so demands.

Bombay/ Mumbai was a collection of mud flats would have remained so had it not been for the Sir Robert Grant who started constructing roads from Mumbai to Gujarat around 1835. Later construction of the railway that connected Bombay to rest of India that Mumbai really became gate way of India. Karachi was also comparatively a minor port and it was only after it became the sole import/export terminal for the entire West Pakistan that it became truly a great metropolis.

Now let us look at Gwadar. Initial real estate boom fizzled out because of the complaints of the Baluchis. Railway doesn’t exist. Road from Gwadar to Quetta is still ‘B’ class and there is always a danger of being attacked by the BLA and other highway robbers. Therefore Karachi -Peshawar or Iran route is still first preference for the transit goods to Afghanistan. War normally hastens development of the new routes. However, strong presence of Taliban supporters makes Quetta/Kandahar route very dangerous. Pray tell me, if you were an importer, which port would you prefer, Gwadar or Karachi?

It pains me a great deal to say this, but Gwadar will remain an unfulfilled dream until road network in Baluchistan is substantially improved and it is safe to travel on these roads. In the meantime we should completely forget about transit trade to Central Asia as long as Taliban thugs keep attacking goods convoys.

This is from Jang News !

KARACHI: Gwadar Port plans to handle 125,000 tons of fertiliser during the current year, but the Port of Singapore Authority (PSA) is creating hurdles for the port, an official said on Thursday.

“The Port of Singapore Authority (PSA) is creating problems for the Tally Contractor, Hussain Traders.”

The contract for Tally services (to monitor the weight and counting of the bags) was awarded to Hussain Traders, Karachi, for one-year till March 2012, but the PSA refused the services and stopped its entry to the port, saying that it has not received any intimation from the Gwadar Port authorities.

National Fertiliser Marketing Limited (NFML) Managing Director Brigadier Bilal Ahmad Khan wrote a letter to the industries and production ministry secretary, saying that the sowing season is in progress and any delay in delivery of fertiliser to farmers will be on account of the PSA Gwadar.

He requested the secretary to direct the PSA not to hinder smooth flow of work as the above contractor has been selected to ensure proper weight of the fertiliser.

Bilal said that Hussain Traders established facilities in Gwadar to unload fertiliser, but the PSA Gwadar stopped it, saying that the Sindh High Court (SHC) in its judgement had granted exclusive rights to PSA Gwadar for any cargo handling at the port.

He said that in case if the tender was awarded to PSA Gwadar, which does not took part in the bidding process, it would not only hurt the sanctity of tenders, but will also damage the position of the Gwadar Port authorities.

PSA Gwadar Spokesperson Faisal Javed said that the authority had stopped Hussain Traders from Tally Services because there was no intimation from NFML regarding the company, but now the issue has been resolved as PSA has received the letter and it has given permission to Hussain Traders to start operations at the Gwadar Port.

The PSA stopped the tally service when variations were witnessed in the net weight of the fertiliser bags, the spokesperson said, adding that it is in talks with Hussain Traders to handle tally services of two of the fertiliser vessels out of a total of four. The remaining two vessels would be handled by the PSA Gwadar, he said.

Meanwhile, Hussain Traders is likely to challenge and sue for damages as his manpower has been forced out of the port, it is learnt.

When Gwadar port was being developed it was being touted as the gate way to Central Asia. My Pakistani compatriots have the habit of getting carried away without any giving consideration to the ground realities.

Everyone must understand that by just making good facilities at the port does not make a port successful. A tiny port with no facilities can grow into a very busy and successful port if the business in the area so demands.

Bombay/ Mumbai was a collection of mud flats would have remained so had it not been for the Sir Robert Grant who started constructing roads from Mumbai to Gujarat around 1835. Later construction of the railway that connected Bombay to rest of India that Mumbai really became gate way of India. Karachi was also comparatively a minor port and it was only after it became the sole import/export terminal for the entire West Pakistan that it became truly a great metropolis.

Now let us look at Gwadar. Initial real estate boom fizzled out because of the complaints of the Baluchis. Railway doesn’t exist. Road from Gwadar to Quetta is still ‘B’ class and there is always a danger of being attacked by the BLA and other highway robbers. Therefore Karachi -Peshawar or Iran route is still first preference for the transit goods to Afghanistan. War normally hastens development of the new routes. However, strong presence of Taliban supporters makes Quetta/Kandahar route very dangerous. Pray tell me, if you were an importer, which port would you prefer, Gwadar or Karachi?

It pains me a great deal to say this, but Gwadar will remain an unfulfilled dream until road network in Baluchistan is substantially improved and it is safe to travel on these roads. In the meantime we should completely forget about transit trade to Central Asia as long as Taliban thugs keep attacking goods convoys.

Excellent elucidation of facts there.

I am connected to logistics and will say that rail lines are vital to moving goods other than road, in some cases even more than road.

Reason rail movement costs less than road. Under normal circumstances is safer too.

Gwadar: Pakistan's new Great Game | Rina Saeed Khan | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

The dream of making the port of Gwadar an economic hub has been destroyed by a superpower struggle for influence

There is only one superpower in the world, so that author already fails on the basic facts. China is not a superpower, we do not have "worldwide power projection".

There is clearly a problem though, that Gwadar is not currently living up to expectations. Since China was primarily responsible for developing the port, we have to look at what we have done wrong, and how we can improve it.

You gonna link the port with people and market!

---------- Post added at 05:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

but in the long run it gonna be a success.

Back
Top Bottom