What's new

Give Pervez Musharraf Support

He has the right to a single bodyguard and a patrol car allotted to him for security as per the state privileges. Right being a subjective word here.

Anyways, if he returns, he should get security. We don't want some militants kidnapping him nor do we want somebody with the deepest knowledge of our nuclear arsenal to be kidnapped. And this comes from somebody who had to bear dozens of batons during the people's movement to restore CJ Ifti.

Given the associated risks to the extend of national security , he should not return to Pakistan. Neither we can provide him the required security nor we can allow him to become a national security nightmare.

He has the right to a single bodyguard and a patrol car allotted to him for security as per the state privileges. Right being a subjective word here.

Anyways, if he returns, he should get security. We don't want some militants kidnapping him nor do we want somebody with the deepest knowledge of our nuclear arsenal to be kidnapped. And this comes from somebody who had to bear dozens of batons during the people's movement to restore CJ Ifti.

He does not have to go that route. In my opinion, as long as the ISI does not mess around to push PPP's agenda or that of another political party and stays the neutral course, Musharraf can very easily hire his own close protection team because of his association with the SSG. I am sure there are quite a few very well trained operators available for this type of a security detail. This in my opinion would be the realistic and feasible option available to him

He does not have to go that route. In my opinion, as long as the ISI does not mess around to push PPP's agenda or that of another political party and stays the neutral course, Musharraf can very easily hire his own close protection team because of his association with the SSG. I am sure there are quite a few very well trained operators available for this type of a security detail. This in my opinion would be the realistic and feasible option available to him

His head of security took an early release and works with him and so do five or six of his old bodyguards.

PS : What do you think the ISI might do?

The security framework provided by the government can never be matched by any private security establishment in the world. Security is not solely made of personnel and equipments but it is rather a framework which need an array of real time intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance ( ISR) support. This is impossible for any private entity to provide without co-ordination with the government organs. An example is the assassination of BB. US private security firms have access to real time ISR while contracted to government assignments.

The security framework provided by the government can never be matched by any private security establishment in the world. Security is not solely made of personnel and equipments but it is rather a framework which need an array of real time intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance ( ISR) support. This is impossible for any private entity to provide without co-ordination with the government organs. An example is the assassination of BB. US private security firms have access to real time ISR while contracted to government assignments.

Thus my point about ISI not posing any problems for him. As long as the ISI stays neutral to his presence, he has enough links and contacts within the security establishment to keep himself clued up to the ongoings and the intelligence reporting. It wont be perfect, but better than what is available to most other politicians without imposing on the government.

In Pakistan, you strong arm the law all the time. Case in point being Malik Riaz for whom the traffic signals are closed when he moves across town. He is not a high level public servant but he has a big pocket that allows him to have an entourage bigger than the head of state with three thousand soldiers covering him in a circle and five thousand cars moving with him with a bunch of underground machine looking out as well. You just have to see the gun totting crowd that surrounds him to realize what a fat wallet can do for you in the land of the pure.

PS : What do you think the ISI might do?

Not saying ISI in its current form will do anything to him, however eventually the Army's sway on the ISI will loosen up and then those on the political side may start using it for their own ends to even up as was done in the times of BB and NS.

When such things start happening, then it will pose security and other problems for Musharraf.

Not saying ISI in its current form will do anything to him, however eventually the Army's sway on the ISI will loosen up and then those on the political side may start using it for their own ends to even up as was done in the times of BB and NS.
I don't see such a hypothetical situation being carved out anytime, even in the long run.

I understand your concerns but associating ISI as being used by BB is kind of factually incorrect. Everybody knows how cold the military was to her, how much the security establishment abhorred her and to what lengths they went to neutralize her political clout (the fake letters and allegations of Israeli support in '90 and the whole wide bunch).

When such things start happening, then it will pose security and other problems for Musharraf.

Even in such a hypothetical situation, it won't pose any risk to him.

Thus my point about ISI not posing any problems for him. As long as the ISI stays neutral to his presence, he has enough links and contacts within the security establishment to keep himself clued up to the ongoings and the intelligence reporting. It wont be perfect, but better than what is available to most other politicians without imposing on the government.

We do not need to worry about the Directorate. They will not cause any impediment. However, there are other players out there with their own objectives in mind who have nothing to do with the Directorate . This can become a daunting task to deal with these elements. Some of these are local and some are foreign.

In Pakistan, you strong arm the law all the time. Case in point being Malik Riaz for whom the traffic signals are closed when he moves across town. He is not a high level public servant but he has a big pocket that allows him to have an entourage bigger than the head of state with three thousand soldiers covering him in a circle and five thousand cars moving with him with a bunch of underground machine looking out as well. You just have to see the gun totting crowd that surrounds him to realize what a fat wallet can do for you in the land of the pure.

Form security point of view , these security protocols only provide placebo to the customer ( ie. Malik Riaz etc). I know countless instances where these ( or even much elaborate) measures failed to protect the customers.

Last edited:
He had a good opportunity to do a lot for Pakistan back in 2001-02 when USA needed Pakistan badly. He failed then and there is no reason to believe he would succeed now.

Why would the PPP be bothered if/when Musharraf goes back to Pakistan? Quite the contrary! Just like Musharraf needed BB in 2007 to have an alternate political regime (minus PMLN) the PPP now can benefit from the media show between Musharraf and PMLN. Not to mention any splitting of non-PPP votes in crucial Punjab elections in 2013 is good for PPP.
Besides, while PPP had a relatively better time under Musharraf than under Nawaz Sharif.

Finally, ISI remains under military control.

He was the best leader we ever had a good man a good soilder the right leader i hope he comes back in action ASAP GOD bless.

Back
Top Bottom