What's new

Food prices mock India's scorching growth

Depends on the quality. Basmati rice is really expensive, normal quality is not. Poor people have ration cards which allows them to buy rice cheaper Rupees 5 ( that's about 10 cents i think) per kilo because of government subsidies.

This is very nessesary for poor people!
Hope them can lead a good life!

@Stax here is some interesting Caluculation for you:

For a Family of 4 in India

According to World bank....Every Indian lives on 2 Dollar a day....

so for a Family of 4:

$2 X 4 = $8 to spend on living....every day.

For a month : 30 days

$8 X 30= $240 (So this would be the amount an an avarage poor family from India will have to spend in entire month.)

Now if its a poor family: it has a Ration Card that allows the family to buy food items from a Government Subsidized shop :

Sugar @ 50 Cents a Kg......and an average family for 4 Gets 5 KG suger for a month.....: 2.5 Dollar

Rice @10 Cents a KG....and an average family of 4 Gets 15 to 20 KG Rice every month as per Govt Policy....: 2 Dollars

other Staples like Pulses can be bought at : 50 cents a KG from the same shop:.......and poor family is alotted 5KG of Pulses a month: 2.5 Dollars

Soap Detergents and other hygiene products would cost you around 4 Dollars a month....

Wheat flour used for cooking Roti(Staple Indian Diet) can be bought @ 20 Cents ....so for 20 KG you end up paying : 4 Dollar

Fruits and vegetable would eat up around: 5 to 10 Dollars...

Electricity Bills in Rural area are not more than 7 to 10 Dollars....and Ditoo for Communication bills.....

Fuel to cook food for a month would cost about 10 Dollar

School fees for your Kids Government subsidized school....4 Dollar each.... that means 8 Dollar

Your Family health expenses....10 Dollars....

One more huge figure house rent in rural area it would be 10 to 20 Dollars ....a month....

So now please add ...all this.....It does not even ad up to 100 Dollars a month.......and we still have more than 100 Dollar to spend ....on other items.....

Last edited:
^^^superb dude this will give an better prespective of indian society
even if this varies still it will not exceed 240$ a month

problem in india are poor people but to some extent
the real problems are the beggars and %people who r lazy

@Stax here is some interesting Caluculation for you:

For a Family of 4 India India

According to World bank....Every Indian lives on 2 Dollar a day....

so for a Family of 4:

$4 X 4 = $8 to spend on living....

$8 X 30= $240

Now if its a poofr family: it has a Ration Card that allows the family to buy food items from a Government Subsidized shop :

Sugar @ 50 Cents a Kg......and an average family for 4 Gets 5 KG suger for a month.....: 2.5 Dollar

Rice @10 Cents a KG....and an average family of 4 Gets 15 to 20 KG Rice every month as per Govt Policy....: 2 Dollars

other Staples like Pulses can be bought at : 50 cents a KG from the same shop:.......and poor family is alotted 5KG of Pulses a month: 2.5 Dollars

Soap Detergents and other hygiene products would cost you around 4 Dollars a month....

Wheat flour used for cooking Roti(Staple Indian Diet) can be bought @ 20 Cents ....so for 20 KG you end up paying : 4 Dollar

Fruits and vegetable would eat up around: 5 to 10 Dollars...

Electricity Bills in Rural area are not more than 7 to 10 Dollars....and Ditoo for Communication bills.....

Fuel to cook food for a month would cost about 10 Dollar

School fees for your Kids Government subsidized school....4 Dollar each.... that means 8 Dollar

Your Family health expenses....10 Dollars....

So now please add ...all this.....

This is the typical head buried in sand syndrome. Where does WB say that every Indian (even the poorest) earns 2 dollars a day???

Guess you are talking on PPP terms, then the tables turn. Fault in your calculations is In PPP terms $2 does not equate to 100 Rupees

Overall India's Average Per Capita Income is 38000 which includes you Ambanis, Tatas and Birlas. And this adds upto approximately 3000 per month. The discussion was supposed to be about the poor who are earning less than $2 Purchasing Power Parity. At nominal rate $2 per day would equate to annual income of around Rs. 36,000
per annum.

For the poor class (between 28.5 to 50 %) the average income would be closer to Rs. 30-40 per day. And yes they are poor and yes we need to do more about them. There is no point in plain chest thumping while sharing the pedestal with 60 crore people who earn less than 35 rupees per day.

Rs. 100 / 90 per day is a fictitious number with no logical reasoning. Yes there are a huge number of poor people in India and I think this is an attempt to underplay their plight. In actual terms these 2$ PPP would translate to 33-34 Rs per day. now for a family of 4 thats 120 Rupees per say or 3600 per month. Now try and fit into this budget.

This is the typical head buried in sand syndrome. Where does WB say that every Indian (even the poorest) earns 2 dollars a day???

Guess you are talking on PPP terms, then the tables turn. Fault in your calculations is In PPP terms $2 does not equate to 100 Rupees

Overall India's Average Per Capita Income is 38000 which includes you Ambanis, Tatas and Birlas. And this adds upto approximately 3000 per month. The discussion was supposed to be about the poor who are earning less than $2 Purchasing Power Parity. At nominal rate $2 per day would equate to annual income of around Rs. 36,000
per annum.

For the poor class (between 28.5 to 50 %) the average income would be closer to Rs. 30-40 per day. And yes they are poor and yes we need to do more about them. There is no point in plain chest thumping while sharing the pedestal with 60 crore people who earn less than 35 rupees per day.

Rs. 100 / 90 per day is a fictitious number with no logical reasoning. Yes there are a huge number of poor people in India and I think this is an attempt to underplay their plight.

Ok Lets see how this works in Indian rupees according to you:

For a Family of 4 in India

so for a Family of 4:

Rs 40 X 4 = Rs 160 to spend on living....every day.

Rs 160 X 30= Rs. 4800 (So this would be the amount an an avarage poor family from India will have to spend in entire month.)

Now if its a poor family: it has a Ration Card that allows the family to buy food items from a Government Subsidized shop :

Sugar @ 15 Rupees a Kg......and an average family for 4 Gets 5 KG suger for a month.....: 75 Rupees

Rice @5 Rupees a KG....and an average family of 4 Gets 15 to 20 KG Rice every month as per Govt Policy....: 100 Rupees

other Staples like Pulses can be bought at : 20 Rupees cents a KG from the same shop:.......and poor family is alotted 5KG of Pulses a month: 100 Rupees

Soap Detergents and other hygiene products would cost you around 200 Rupees a month....

Wheat flour used for cooking Roti(Staple Indian Diet) can be bought @ 10 Rupees ....so for 20 KG you end up paying : 200 Rupees

Fruits and vegetable would eat up around: 500 Rupees.

Electricity Bills in Rural area are not more than 400 Rupees....and Ditoo for Communication bills.....

Fuel to cook food for a month would cost about 350 Rupees

School fees for your Kids Government subsidized school....200 Rupees each.... that means 400 Rupees

Your Family health expenses....500 Rupees.

One more huge figure house rent in rural area it would be 700 Rupees ....a month....

So now please add ...all this.....

Family still ends up saving more than 1000 Rupees a month.

Now if we always want to blame Government for everything..then thats a different story....

in rural areas 5000rs is more than enough

not sure about 1tier and 2tier cities

Well I know all this because my Cook comes from a poor family and he gets paid around 5 Thousand Rupees a month....and works in 3 odd houses ...he feeds his family ..his kids go to school...he supports his father....and recently has been buging me to help mim open a savings bank account where he can add upto Rs 1000 or more every month.

in rural areas 5000rs is more than enough

not sure about 1tier and 2tier cities

Exaggeration. :no:

Moreover, it depends on how many members you have in your family. Generally in rural areas, joint families are often seen.

Many families suffer as they have to obey some evil social norms, for example dowry system and other rituals.

The calculation is not that easy man. You have oversimplified it.

Depends on the quality. Basmati rice is really expensive, normal quality is not. Poor people have ration cards which allows them to buy rice cheaper Rupees 5 ( that's about 10 cents i think) per kilo because of government subsidies.

Any comment on why Basmati rice is way more expensive? Even in Canada it is the case. I have largely switched to Basmati / brown rice for its chewiness and nutty flavour, and for the perceived benefit of lower glycemic index. For the life of me I can't figure out why brown (coarse) rice should be more expensive around here ...

But I still love my glutinous "sticky"/waxy/sweet rice even though it's even worse than the traditional long/round rice.

Even if Basmati rice or brown rice are more expensive, to those who can afford it (even if not entirely comfortably), it is still worth it, since fewer things are more "expensive" than diabetes.

Now I do realize the irony bordering on "obscenity" if someone will as I am discussing an excess of simple sugar from rice when the topic is peasants perhaps not having enough.

But then again, all over Asia (China, India, and Pakistan), the same folks who were ravaged by hunger not terribly long ago are now tormented by diabetes ...

@communist
well my relatives lives in rural area and monthly income is 8000rs with family members of 10 and 2coll goers and we also fullfilled the so called dowry system for four and wat we still end up buyin 2400sq ft land in 5 years

oops sorry forgot my grand pa had to two operation in two years also so u see health care is also managed

@communist
well my family lives in rural area and monthly income is 8000rs with family members of 10 and 2coll goers and we also fullfilled the so called dowry system for four and wat we still end up buyin 2400sq ft land in 5 years

How was it possible?

I guess, your family had some cultivating land properties and was supported by food (crops) production (chawal or gehu and vegetables) in your own agricultural land. Plus they had some cattle perhaps.

^^^^nope tats wat i said in rural areas u will manage coz the cost of living is is very less and in cities we have ration card to counter tat diff

^^^^nope tats wat i said in rural areas u will manage coz the cost of living is is very less and in cities we have ration card to counter tat diff

Yeah, but in villages prices of grocery food items are as same as in cities.

For example, the price of mustard oil or rice oil is almost same everywhere.

I am not talking about sunflower oil. Not everyone can afford it on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom