What's new

Energy-starved Pakistan seeks wind investors

TechLahore

Reaction score
This is wonderful news... 18 IPPs each putting up a 50MW plant. That would mean in the next few years we will be generating over 1GW from Wind. We've already got the first couple of plants operational in Sindh. Hyundai heavy industries are currently building another plant also in Sindh.

Energy-starved Pakistan seeks wind investors

* 18 IPPs allocated land for wind power projects of 50 MW each

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan this year expects to finalise four wind power deals worth $500 million to exploit a renewable resource that has been barely tapped in a country with a yawning gap between power capacity and demand.

The country suffers chronic power cuts that inflame public anger and stifle industry, a crisis seen by analysts as a test for President Asif Ali Zardari. Daily shortfalls range from 4,500 to 5,000 megawatts (MW), Water and Power Ministry figures show.

But the country’s coastal belt holds particular promise for wind power, with a potential for producing 50,000 MW, according to the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

Arif Alauddin, chief executive of the Alternative Energy Development Board (AEDB), on Friday said talks were underway with six Pakistani investors to build wind farms.

“We have reached a stage where I can say at least four deals will be finalised this year and production will start next year,” he told Reuters. “The worth of these deals will be $500 million,” he added. They would encompass four 50 MW plants with expected completion by the end of 2011, he said.

Please visit Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan to read the rest of the story

Wind farms: AEDB has already allocated land for 18 independent power producers (IPPs) for wind power projects of 50 MW each. The US Agency for International Development has plans to help Pakistan develop wind farms to generate 300 MW by the end of 2014. “You cannot expect changes overnight. It’ll take time. But we believe some 10,000 MW would be coming through wind in the next five to 10 years,” Alauddin said. reuters

10,000 MW of energy from wind in next 10 years :lol:

Is it a joke? i hope i am wrong

What is the price for each unit produced by wind power?

Well I would be thrilled to believe the 10gw number had they provided more data. For now i am happy about 1gw coming from wind. I think this can catch on big time in Pakistan because we have a huge amount of wind potential. Gov needs to provide incentives to clean energy IPPs. Perhaps things like a tax holiday on clean tech for 5 years. This will redirect investment in wind and solar, which we need for sustainable, clean growth.

10000MW is quite capable if wind power generating capable places are identified correctly and utilized properly.

Just a state in Tamilnadu, south India is producing 4300+ MW , so 10,000Mw is not that big claim and its quite possible and can be one of major steps towards clean energy.

Its good that we work with renewable sources because last I heard World bank is not going to support Thar Coal Project.

The region has huge potential for solar energy too if the prices of raw materials come down. The region gets more sunlight than many other countries due to its proximity nearer to the equator which gives us longer days than most European countries and solar panals can be installed anywhere unlike wind mills which is area specific.

Well I would be thrilled to believe the 10gw number had they provided more data. For now i am happy about 1gw coming from wind. I think this can catch on big time in Pakistan because we have a huge amount of wind potential. Gov needs to provide incentives to clean energy IPPs. Perhaps things like a tax holiday on clean tech for 5 years. This will redirect investment in wind and solar, which we need for sustainable, clean growth.

Good news indeed.
Hope it works out. In any case this is a far better alternative to Nuclear Energy; don't know why our countries are so fixated on nuclear power. i've had a chance to see wind power units at close quarters in India and Europe, it is one of the best options. IMO, the Makran coast is one very good location for Pakistan. i'm sure there are many others as well, esp. in semi-arid mountainous areas which are not suitable for agriculture. So its win-win. India was wise in this matter, it encouraged wind-farms many years ago and now many units are operational, though there is still a lot of untapped potential. BTW, a small Indian company involved in textiles, invested in wind turbine manufacture about 20 yrs ago, now its no. 3 or 4 in the world (i invested in its stock then!).
More wind in your sails!:cheers:

Bhai mere, wind potential ki dunia me koi kami nahi hai... jis din 1 GW touch kar lo, us din diefence.pk me aake bata dena. Tumko pata nahi hai outpout ka, aur tu mko pata nahi hai rewvenue/investmen t ka... jab ho jaye,,, to aa ke batana.

Jai Hind

Last edited:
Good news indeed.
Hope it works out. In any case this is a far better alternative to Nuclear Energy; don't know why our countries are so fixated on nuclear power. i've had a chance to see wind power units at close quarters in India and Europe, it is one of the best options. IMO, the Makran coast is one very good location for Pakistan. i'm sure there are many others as well, esp. in semi-arid mountainous areas which are not suitable for agriculture. So its win-win. India was wise in this matter, it encouraged wind-farms many years ago and now many units are operational, though there is still a lot of untapped potential. BTW, a small Indian company involved in textiles, invested in wind turbine manufacture about 20 yrs ago, now its no. 3 or 4 in the world (i invested in its stock then!).
More wind in your sails!:cheers:

:lol: damn you must have made alot!!!!

anyhow yes pakistan needs this project!! however, 500 million dollar worth of 4 plants producing 50 MWs each totalling upto 200 MWs! wonder what zardari;s kick back is in this project!!! :coffee:

Wind energy like solar energy is not reliable and depends on wind and sun. Our requirement are 24/7 each hour of each day and regardless of whether sun is shining and/or wind is blowing. These are alternative sources of energy and could not be relied upon by a nation with growing economy and population. It is like a part-time job which gives you extra cash but you still need full-time job to pay your bills. The Pakistan-China nuclear deal and Pakistan-Iran gas pipeline deal is more important than these band-aid solutions.

If it is true then why don't India close all its nuclear plants and switch to wind energy !

Wind and solar energy are definitely better than Nuclear energy since these dont produce any waste but thing is energy production w.r.t. investment is not that high due to lack of more efficient technologies. Also unlike nuclear power plants they require proper locations for setting up power plants more likely in coastal areas for wind. Hope that helps .:smitten:

If it is true then why don't India close all its nuclear plants and switch to wind energy !

China has added thirteen thousand MW of wind energy capacity in 2009, accounting for just over a 3rd of the 37,466 MW added in the year. India occupied the 5th slot in capacity addition during 2009. According to the Global Wind Energy Council, wind energy capacity grew by 31 % in the year, taking installed capacity to 157,899 MW.

The change in energy policies and energies role in economic recovery plans has given wind ernergy the well deserved boost.

China, the GWEC asserted, was the planet’s biggest market in 2009, more than doubling its capacity from 12,100 MW to 25,104 MW. The US continued to be the biggest vis accumulative installed capacity, followed by Germany, China, Spain and India.

The US wind energy market installed just about ten thousand MW, increasing the nation’s installed capacity by 39 percent. In early 2009 The GWEC says that the growth happened despite the prediction of some researchers who had foreseen a drop in wind energy. development of as much as fifty percent. The execution of the US Recovery Act with its robust target wind power development in the summertime reversed this trend.

Country MW 2009 % Share of Addition Total Installed Capacity MW
China 13,000 35 25,104
US 9,922 27 35,159
Spain 2,456 7 19,149
Germany 1,917 5 25,777
India 1,271 3 10,929

Back
Top Bottom