What's new

Double-counting: GDP overestimated, may be slashed by 10%

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Some goods and services were counted twice for last several years, sources say.
ISLAMABAD:

Pakistan’s economy was reported to stand at Rs21 trillion this year – except, it may not have been.

The size of the country’s economy will shrink by up to Rs2.5 trillion, or roughly 10%, after reports surfaced that the value of some goods and services were counted twice in calculation of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the last several years

The ‘correction’ has major implications, and places a question mark on authenticity of key economic indicators.

Major ‘correction’

The ‘double-counting’ surfaced after Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) rebased the economy, shifting the base year for calculations from fiscal 1999-00 to 2005-06.

The rebasing has reduced the size of the economy, earlier assessed to be Rs21 trillion, to less than Rs19 trillion, said an official of the finance ministry.

Last year’s GDP has also shrunk by up to Rs1.5 trillion, the official added.

While a top official of National Accounts called it a “mistake that has been corrected,” the error has sent the government’s economic managers back to the drawing board to rework all economic indicators not just for the next year, but for the last seven years at least.

The disclosure may also delay the announcement of next year’s budget as national accounts figures are used in the Economic Survey of Pakistan and the Annual Plan for the next fiscal.

The governing council of the PBS is meeting next week, chaired by the finance minister, to revisit the national accounts, according to Secretary Statistics Sohail Ahmad.

Impact of the error

How does this correction torpedo calculations for the current and projections for the next fiscal?

The budget deficit for the current fiscal, initially estimated to be around 6.5% of GDP, will soar to around 9% after the correction, said an official from the finance ministry.

Last year’s deficit, calculated to be 6.6%, will increase to about 7.2, the official said. The debt-to-GDP ratio for the current fiscal, estimated close to 60% of GDP, will rise to about 70% after the rebasing, he added

Defending the ‘correction’

An official of National Accounts said the department “will not hide mistakes anymore just to appease the finance ministry.”

Some of the goods and services were counted twice, and that has been addressed, he said, citing the example of water supply which was listed under two separate heads.

“It is better to accept readjusted size with an implication of a couple of trillions instead of letting the GDP artificially increase for many more years,” he added.

Neither officials from the National Accounts, that works under the Statistics Division, nor the finance minister or secretary were available for comments, despite repeated attempt. Finance Minister Dr Hafeez Shaikh has already asked the Statistics Division to place its work for ‘review’ in front of the governing council of the PBS.

Possible ramifications

The error may invoke penalties from International Monetary Fund (IMF) since all key economic indicators – like the debt-to-GDP ratio, the budget deficit and economic growth – were reported on an inflated GDP size for at least ten years.

The country entered into three programmes with the IMF during that period. Though there is no official confirmation, Pakistan is also negotiating a fresh programme with the Fund.

this govt has made us fool once again

in the last 5 years we werent able to point out those wrong digits increase in the GDP

the present bas**** finance minister last year said economy stand at 210Bn USD.
these all were lies

Bc Gilani is calling it a friendly budget

Oh boy. That's some really bad news for Pakistan.

I guess Pakistan is in some serious problem, they need to go out and invite other countries to help them out of this mess. Unfortunately, its bad time to be in such mess(recession). Its time Pakistan asks China to bail them out.

this govt has given so much damage to pak

that it will take atleast 1 decade for us to come again to that 2004-05 status in economy

this govt has made us fool once again

in the last 5 years we werent able to point out those wrong digits increase in the GDP

the present bas**** finance minister last year said economy stand at 210Bn USD.
these all were lies

Bc Gilani is calling it a friendly budget

Blame Musharraf here. The error in GDP has been going on from around 10 years as said in the report. I guess Musharraf's era of economic success was cooked up by him, by double counting some services and goods.

A possibility there, what do you think?

Blame Musharraf here. The error in GDP has been going on from around 10 years as said in the report. I guess Musharraf's era of economic success was cooked up by him, by double counting some services and goods.

A possibility there, what do you think?

may be
bt in musharaf era atleast the economic growth was good and by witnessed IMF

as per Dr attaurehman(video indian economist were also present) (Ex HEC chair person) the musharaf was the best in pak history for economy
few days ago in an article i studied that PHD scholar ship is reduced to 250 in the whole year compare to in 2004 1100 per year

Haha this has a become fashion now.

Same thing happened with Indian govt. though on a smaller scale and now Pak govt has goofed up that too on a bigger scale.

Politicians find new ways to fool the public. :lol:

Well this is a disturbing news indeed. This puts Pakistan back by about 3 years in terms of economic growth considering a compounded growth of about 3 percent that we have seen in Pakistan in the last few years. This would further push down per capita GDP, increase deficit and therefore have major implications on the rupee (Pakistani) valuation, dampen the mood in the markets and lead to higher levels of risks and uncertainties. It would also cause additional borrowing and substantial burden for the next few years as far as budget financing goes. Overall, a major drag on the economy at a time when the west already had a lot of leverage vs-a-vs the imminent opening of the NATO GLOC's. The common man will face the aftereffects of substantial increase in inflation.

All the best for the coming storm. I hope you guys get some help. I foresee a return to IMF this year as well as opening of NATO supplies with the promised release of the CSF.

I highly doubt this report.

The reasons I doubt this is because they recently dissolved Federal Bureau of Statistics and it's affiliate organisations in favor of a new political wing of finance ministry known as Pakistan Bureau of Statistics in 2011. Now according to this report the new body re-based the economy. The question that needs to be asked here is WHY? there is something that's being cooked up here.

Another reason is the sheer amount of alleged recalculation 1.5 trillion PKR is 16.5 billion USD.

Keep this in mind, the Ministry of Finance has NOT officially said anything yet. So this could all be a political gimmick by someone. PML-N is infamous for it's dastardly acts of immoral behavior and it's implications in the past. :sick:

Atleast it was found out.

One good think about economy is if you lie you can get caught, unlike poverty or other estimates or statistics.

i wish the news is false and we have a 230bn economy this year.

i think this is a huge scam happening for many years. i mean how can u count double cost for products produced for several years.

mistakes happen in india but are corrected soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom