What's new

Decade: A story of women empowerment in a Punjab village

So education is "free". Does that include transportation to and from school, or books, or copies, or uniforms, or even a takhti? Even if there are no school fees, how can a manual day laborer afford all that?

Education involves much more than declaring it to be "free".

just updated myself with the documents.

till pervaiz elahi era education was free til 10th, with a nominal 1 rs fee uptil 5th class and 5 rs uptil 10th class. only course books and monthly stipend of upto 300 was awarded, it was sticky enforced.

later the fee was raised to 20 rs, books still do find their way to some schools in Lahore and other major govt schools with known names in other cities, that too partially fulfilling the need, other than that all goes into pockets including the monthly stipend..

the problems you raised are ofcourse valid.

that is why I liked the idea of how KPK govt is planning to do things, they will be owning the children with help of foreign sponsor or patron.

I personally know some people wanted to invest 8 billion rs and 20 billion rs in Kasur and Sheikhupura respectively, but the bureaucracy wanted the project money to be channelized through them, so the investors backed out.

believe me, if government have the will and vision, there are people in diaspora who can really help,but they need assurance that their money be spent on the people. thats all they want to be sure of and they are ready to invest.

just updated myself with the documents.

till pervaiz elahi era education was free til 10th, with a nominal 1 rs fee uptil 5th class and 5 rs uptil 10th class. only course books and monthly stipend of upto 300 was awarded, it was sticky enforced.

later the fee was raised to 20 rs, books still do find their way to some schools in Lahore and other major govt schools with known names in other cities, that too partially fulfilling the need, other than that all goes into pockets including the monthly stipend..

the problems you raised are ofcourse valid.

that is why I liked the idea of how KPK govt is planning to do things, they will be owning the children with help of foreign sponsor or patron.

I personally know some people wanted to invest 8 billion rs and 20 billion rs in Kasur and Sheikhupura respectively, but the bureaucracy wanted the project money to be channelized through them, so the investors backed out.

believe me, if government have the will and vision, there are people in diaspora who can really help,but they need assurance that their money be spent on the people. thats all they want to be sure of and they are ready to invest.

For education to be successful in Pakistan, we need to get away from British style education system where kids go to school for 12-16 years and come out skill less, and thus job less.

the day we make our education system work for our youth by opening up new doors, new skills, new vision, believe me, 99% of parents will run to schools and make sure their kids get the awareness and education.

Look at my city of Karachi and our Urduwa community.

Education rate 99% mostly paid for by Pakistani taxpayers.

And yet

my community is the primary source of instability and anarchy in our beautiful city.

And a

Jagirdar mota chor is rulling our @rses while his @rse is squarely planted 1000s of miles from here.

Thus education has not changed our lot, and in fact made us worse than a poor village in Punjab when it comes to peace and stability.

We must think out of the box.

otherwise we'll continue going around circles for ever and ever and ever.

@Leader

in some way you are right BUT you know the big problem its not about children don't wanna study or their parents dont wanna send them to school. majority of cases as i have village there reason for not studying i sbecause they think even after study they will not get any job as they feel its better to earn some money and live better life rather than going to school and be unemployed

if you ask them why you dont send your children school and even if you ask children they will give many examples of their village that this guy done graduate and since three years didnt get job every one ask money to get job so what benefit. there are thousands of examples. many children are doing labour job and helping there family to earn or for their sisters marriage. You cant blame govt. its our cultural and society fault too.....

In our country even those who go to school is not about they wanna learn some thing. its because they want to earn more money. so problem lies in us for, us education is also way to get good earning. thats why you will found alot of educated illiterates among us.

ah precisely that perception is that even after studying, it will add no value to your life, because unfortunately we have associated education with earning money.

anyway, compulsory education uptil 8th is must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good story but why do we promote such blatantly sexist comments? Is there actually any evidence to support this claim?

Are we saying that children born to an educated women who get to spend time with their children are better educated?

I like such stories but I dislike promoting rhetorical non sense at the same time.

There is nothing sexist about that remark at all, which was said by Johnetta Cole, an accomplished educator:

Johnnetta B. Cole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the saying honors the role of women as mothers, and alludes to the fact that educated mothers are a huge asset to their families in addition to themselves.

ah precisely that perception is that even after studying, it will add no value to your life, because unfortunately we have associated education with earning money.

anyway, compulsory education uptil 8th is must.

I posted a similar thought in reply to an article posted here:

The reason for that is very simple Sir. We treat education as the means to a good paying job, not as a path to actual enlightenment. That comes only with better social security and economic development.

There is nothing sexist about that remark at all, which was said by Johnetta Cole, an accomplished educator:

Johnnetta B. Cole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the saying honors the role of women as mothers, and alludes to the fact that educated mothers are a huge asset to their families in addition to themselves.

It is very obviously sexist, unless it is proven to be true by research. Who said it is not so relevant. All kind of false famous sayings have been said by famous people.

Back
Top Bottom