What's new

Death in law-enforcers’ custody: Case lodged against Rangers men

Slav Defence

THINK TANK VICE CHAIRMAN: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: A case was registered against Rangers personnel in Karachi's Sachal police station on Saturday over the death of a man under controversial circumstances in the custody of law-enforcers.

The FIR was registered by the father of the man identified as Mohammad Bilal. It stated that the deceased who passed away on Friday had been picked up from his residence by Rangers personnel on July 15.

The man had been detained in a joint operation by the Rangers and police following a recent gun attack on a Rangers motorcycle squad in the city's Sachal area.

He had remained in the custody of Rangers for two days before being handed over to the Sachal police, a report published in the Dawn newspaper quoted officials as saying.

Sachal police had stated that the man was handed over to them in a 'critical' condition, whereas the Rangers claimed that Bilal was handed over to the police in 'perfect' health condition and with no signs of torture on his body.

However, doctors have confirmed that electric shocks had been administered on Bilal along with other means of torture.

Also on Friday, DIG (east) Capt Tahir Naveed ordered an inquiry into the death in order to ascertain the circumstances and fix responsibility.

The DIG has tasked Malir SP Dr Mohammad Najeeb and Malir SP (Investigation) Abbas Rizvi with the probe.

Bilal’s death follows Tuesday’s shooting of an unarmed taxi driver by Rangers men in Karachi’s Gulistan-i-Jauhar locality.

The taxi driver was shot dead when he allegedly failed to stop his vehicle upon being signalled to do so by Rangers personnel. A local court in Karachi then sent a Rangers man accused in the shooting on physical remand until July 22.

Rangers troops patrol Karachi and its surroundings to combat routine ethnic, political and extremist violence in the city. Human rights activists complain that the Rangers force, established for combat and border duty, is neither equipped nor trained for civilian areas.

The paramilitary force had to face extreme public backlash in 2011 when local TV channels aired footage of Rangers personnel shooting dead Sarfaraz Shah, an unarmed civilian, at point blank range in a public park in Karachi.

A local court subsequently found one paramilitary soldier guilty of murder and sentenced him to death and handed life terms to five other soldiers and a civilian for their involvement in Shah's killing.

The case had marked the first time that a civilian court in Pakistan had sentenced to death a serving member of the paramilitary force.

@balixd @Stealth @nuclearpak @Jazzbot @Leader @usama waqas..and others...what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
good, punishment is still what must come !

just yesterday a ranger was caught red handed giving mobile phone to LeJ terrorist in central jail...

without accountability, there can be no progress !

good, punishment is still what must come !

just yesterday a ranger was caught red handed giving mobile phone to LeJ terrorist in central jail...

Rangers shouldn't be given responsibility of a police,I will persist again @Leader,as we can clearly see the outcome.
Why are we forgetting that they are paramilitary organization,not police.
We are expecting them to act like police,all hail to governmental bodies for false policies.

Rangers shouldn't be given responsibility of a police,I will persist again @Leader,as we can clearly see the outcome.
Why are we forgetting that they are paramilitary organization,not police.
We are expecting them to act like police,all hail to governmental bodies for false policies.

absolutely right. even the Rangers are politicized now.,

That was an FC guard (Frontier Consabulary).

@Slav Defence - you might think I am the voice of establishment and lick their boots, but this is not the case.
I have criticized them where it was necessary and I have supported them where they needed it.
i will repeat what I said yesterday, if the Rangers and Police got the right man than Good Riddance, the guy was involved in attacking Rangers, I wonder why no one bothered with that?......oh wait the guy would have walked out of Court after Judge receives his share of money, or perhaps Police could have let him run away.
So Rangers avenging their fallen Comrades - I say Good Job boys

I can see hands of a Political party behind this as Rangers were on it, they were carrying out allot of operations and conducting raids, this was done to put them back on leash. Call me a conspiracy theorists but I smell bullshit here :coffee:

Today all news channels are saying that it was the police that tortured the man and not the Rangers.

So I suggest you don't light up your posts like a Christmas tree.

The Rangers have also started a separate inquiry, they are also adamant that the police tortured the man and not Rangers.

And if you people think I am blindly going to defend every other case without any reasoning, then you folks better wake up and smell the coffee, because I ain't gonna do that.

The particulars of this aren't known either, supposedly this guy was caught firing at the Rangers.

So he wasn't all that innocent. But that shouldn't mean that he should get killed.

I'll reserve any further comments for later.

Today all news channels are saying that it was the police that tortured the man and not the Rangers.

So I suggest you don't light up your posts like a Christmas tree.

The Rangers have also started a separate inquiry, they are also adamant that the police tortured the man and not Rangers.

And if you people think I am blindly going to defend every other case without any reasoning, then you folks better wake up and smell the coffee, because I ain't gonna do that.

The particulars of this aren't known either, supposedly this guy was caught firing at the Rangers.

So he wasn't all that innocent. But that shouldn't mean that he should get killed.

I'll reserve any further comments for later.

I agree that we should wait for the inquiry to be completed.

I wonder why the Rangers decided to hand the suspect over to the Police if they thought he was guilty of firing at them?

I agree that we should wait for the inquiry to be completed.

I wonder why the Rangers decided to hand the suspect over to the Police if they thought he was guilty of firing at them?

Because AFAIK, Rangers don't have the authority to register FIR's and move criminal cases.

Because AFAIK, Rangers don't have the authority to register FIR's and move criminal cases.

But then this begs the question why did the Rangers keep the man in their custody for two days instead of handing him over to the Police after they had arrested him?

you can bribe them like police, get opponents knocked out, just like police do > take sides.

Taking bribe - no i don't think so, they would get court martialed there and then.
Politicized - yes - but not like Police where party workers have infiltrated the ranks of Constable to SSP.
They commanders are getting orders to do so from the senior party officials - which are in Govt.
As they are deployed in Karachi on their orders....no?
Standing aside while people burn down the streets and give rats a$$ ---- again; those are the orders from Top, let them do what they want.

Back
Top Bottom